Pod Mod - Lights!

Well I should have looked at this thread before going shopping, but I had some time to kill the other day while I waited to meet some friends for dinner and decided to stop at Pep Boys to get the parts. It didn't occur to me that their single LED light was not going to be very bright. Went back to AutoZone this afternoon and picked up a pair of the 4-led \"Superbright\" bulbs. What a difference!!! This is the way it should have been from the beginning. They are almost as bright as my Watsen LED turn signals.

HELLLOOOOO?????? I don't see no stinkin' pictures TONY!!!!! Come on, thats a gimme brother.:spank2:

HELLLOOOOO?????? I don't see no stinkin' pictures TONY!!!!! Come on, thats a gimme brother.:spank2:

Ouch that hurt! Actually the battery in my camera was dead, but I will post up some pictures when I get a chance. I really like the way it alternates now with my LED turn signals. One less excuse now for cagers to claim that "they didn't see me".

Just picked up my bits and pieces from auto zone last night. Hope to get this done today. That is if I can find my sodering iron.

Last edited:
Well I just finished up and it looks great. Only problem is I trimmed a bit to much off the fins on the right hand one and it will not stay in the socket at all. Gonna have cut it off and buy a new one to splice back in and solder. Shame to because my harness looks so good it looked factory.

P.S. the hose from my shop vac was small enough to stick inside the headlight enclosure and suck out the plastic scraps. Easy!

pictures

Well I just finished up and it looks great. Only problem is I trimmed a bit to much off the fins on the right hand one and it will not stay in the socket at all. Gonna have cut it off and buy a new one to splice back in and solder. Shame to because my harness looks so good it looked factory.

P.S. the hose from my shop vac was small enough to stick inside the headlight enclosure and suck out the plastic scraps. Easy!

You know we all like pictures. Both success and failure should be documented to help your fellow FZ Riders. Must keep the inmates busy or bad things might happen.:icon_beer:

Nice!!! Well, one thing you could try is some silicone to hold it in place along with insuring it is waterproofed. Nice to hear about another one done!

Did you do running/alternating-signal???

I did the exact same setup as you. TYVM BTW!. So... I just got back from Auto Zone and my new one falls right out as well. Somehow the hole is a tad to big. I do not know how when the largest hole on my step drill bit is 3/4. I must have gotten tthis one at a bit of an angle. I am wishing I would have tried 11/16 to be on the safe side. Oh well!

What I did to fix this was heat up a 1/8" allen wrench with a torch and then used the flat tip to flare out the plastic on 4 side just a tiny bit. It catches well and is secure now.

Here is a shot of my right hand signal after my patch job.

Nice!!! Well, one thing you could try is some silicone to hold it in place along with insuring it is waterproofed. Nice to hear about another one done!

Did you do running/alternating-signal???

Funny seeing this thread up again. I just happened to finally swap out the incandescent bulbs for the correct LED Superbright bulbs this morning before leaving for our ride. The difference was day and night. Of course I forgot to take a picture but I'll do it tomorrow.

I did the exact same setup as you. TYVM BTW!. So... I just got back from Auto Zone and my new one falls right out as well. Somehow the hole is a tad to big. I do not know how when the largest hole on my step drill bit is 3/4. I must have gotten tthis one at a bit of an angle. I am wishing I would have tried 11/16 to be on the safe side. Oh well!

What I did to fix this was heat up a 1/8" allen wrench with a torch and then used the flat tip to flare out the plastic on 4 side just a tiny bit. It catches well and is secure now.

Here is a shot of my right hand signal after my patch job.

Nice job Brad! Now you just gotta post some pics of the lights running. It definitely looks great on the bike and is a great inexpensive mod to do.

I'm not sure but it's okay just like that Brad. Nice job. It came out perfect. Maybe you can tell Tony what the wiring order is because his lights are "off" until he hits the turn signal.

The black lead on the pod goes to blue in the signal wire harness on both sides. The brown lead from the pod goes to the brown wire on the left signal. The brown lead from the pod on the right goes to the green wire on the signal. The black wire in the wire harness for the turn signals is not used on either side.

wires

I'm not sure but it's okay just like that Brad. Nice job. It came out perfect. Maybe you can tell Tony what the wiring order is because his lights are "off" until he hits the turn signal.

Words will do but pictures of the wires before they are all taped up would be better. Probably too late I know.

The black lead on the pod goes to blue in the signal wire harness on both sides. The brown lead from the pod goes to the brown wire on the left signal. The brown lead from the pod on the right goes to the green wire on the signal. The black wire in the wire harness for the turn signals is not used on either side.

I will have to double check mine as they do not function as running lights, just turn signals.

Words will do but pictures of the wires before they are all taped up would be better. Probably too late I know.

I thought that FZ1inNH did a great job with photos. Here is a diagram I whippped up for you. I hope the colors come out looking right right I added text anyway. The key is that the black wires from the signals is not used at all.
1317d1259541212-pod-mod-lights-wireing.jpg

Last edited:
Back