Pod Mod - Lights!

That is your offshore account --- BTW....can I make a withdrawl??

Lemme know if you need anything to get past your local bureaucracy....

Adam

Last edited:
Nice

I had not got as far as removeing parts of the fairing to see if I could install lights in the "europe only" signal spots. That answers that question, Thanks !
Since we have Auto Zones here as well I will be doing a bit of shopping this weekend as well. Check out Watsendesign.com for some pricey but very nice flush mounts that I will be ordering shortly. Colour matched l.e.d.'s that work as running lights as well. They should clean up the front end very nicely. Great pictures and video.

I'd love to have the Watsens on my bike and yes, they are pricey but they are also lifetime guarantee against burnout so, if you buy a neutral color, you can move them from bike to bike too. :D The issue for me is, find a place that will inspect the bike with them, or do a lot of swapping just to go get the sticker....

didn't the watsen become DOT approved or something?

Not in the US and in some cases, state by state, they are legal. Some states don't require signals at all so long as you use hand signals. Others, are so strict that they measure the distance between signals as they require a certain spacing.

running custom LED's and I guess I get to sneak under the radar b/c we don't have vehicle inspections in my county. They do have inspections next door in Albuquerque, but it is only for emmissions.

683d1250312077-pod-mod-lights-rabeets-led.jpg

what about moisture in the headlight after drilling?

how do u prevent water getting in there from riding in the rain?

Thanks,
Sid

The holes are drilled in the upper-most corners and under the inner fairings so there's no water issues to speak of. There are sockets you can buy, such as the '03 R6 sockets, that are made of a pliable rubber and will seal when inserted in the new opening.

These plastic ones are a very tight fit if the hole is done properly though. I guess I could smear a bit of clear silicone around each to insure a weather-proof seal yet still be able to remove them if needed. :D

While doing my AIS removal this morning, I made it a point to check on the GenI fairing to see if the same mod is possible. Yippee! I'll be picking up some bulbs very soon. As you can see in the photo, it looks almost the same. I'm gonna like this mod even though I said I was going to lay low for a while. I figure that its really inexpensive so what the heck!

16-1.jpg

Nice! Go for it!!

couple of things i would like to add. I'm just finishing up the install on my bike. You should keep a pair of tweezers handy. I drilled a pilot hole, then medium drill bit, then larger drill bit so when i started with the drill bit in your write up there wouldn't be any shavings in my head light and the hole would be centered. Also never reverse the drill bit, pull it straight out. Then I stopped at every increment all the way to just short of 3/4 of an inch. At every stop, i took a flash light and tweezers and pulled out any pieces hanging down in there. I also cleaned the drill bit at each level to prevent pieces from falling down in there. Then at the end, i went ahead and put toyota FIPG on the base of the light and then i pushed the light in all the way. Then i filled the outer lip of the light with FIPG by using a small tie wrap or toothpick. No way any moisture will come and seals great.

Thanks for the idea.

Sid

I'm gonna run over to AutoZone this afternoon to pick up the goodies. It shouldn't be a mod that will take too long to do. I'm going to use those fold-over quick connectors to attach right to the wiring. Some black tape and I should be good to go.

Well, I picked up all the items I need for the mod. I didn't get a chance before going down to the AMA races to do it so I went downstairs with Richie this morning to tackle the mod. I removed the inner fairing inserts and removed that little nub of plastic so that the bit would center perfectly. I then took a razor and cut away the little tabs on the socket so that once it's pushed through the hole it will lock in place. Then I checked the wiring to make sure I had the right hook-up before splicing anything. I checked the operation by just pushing the lead ends into the protective cover on the existing turn signal wires and everything worked fine. Just one more thing to do, get out my step drill bit and get the holes done. Now where is my step drill??? Hello!!! Here we go!! I have a 48 dollar Lenox Step Drill and its nowhere to be found. Now everythings on hold either until I find it, or tomorrow I'll have to get one from work. Anyway, I'll post these pics and then go tear the house apart and hopefully find it. It's still relatively early so I could get it done today if I get lucky. Stay tuned.......

I just hooked up the wires loosely to make sure I had the right connection....
LightMod004.jpg

I noticed after running upstairs to check this thread, that I bought the wrong bulbs. I didn't get the L.E.D. bulbs but just regular 194's. I can always change them before final assembly. These were pretty bright but I'd rather have the L.E.D.'s
LightMod002.jpg

Another shot with no flash.....
LightMod001.jpg

I think it's gonna look real nice when it's done. I'll go now and try to locate my step drill. See ya later!

Back