Official YZF Makeover Thread

Thanks rollnhot. Yeah, I hoped to cheer Billy up alittle. He is a great guy and perhaps when his headers do get done, he will be pleased with them and get back to his usual joyful, playful, self . . . . :icon_beer:

Today was a good day mixed with some shortcomings, but not for me. I got two packages at work today. My Yamaha Key Blank came from SlowBoyRacing. I immediately ran to the back and cut it. It's a really nice looking key. I may spring for another one just to have three.

IMG_2938.jpg

An hour or so later I got another box from UPS which I wasn't expecting at all. I opened it up and to my surprise it was the YZF Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger!! This piece wasn't due to me until sometime in April so I was pleasantly surprised. It's an awesome looking piece and will look killer on the bike!

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

And now for the "shortcomings"! So after work I head to the Powdercoaters to pick up my headers. As I walk in Joe is nowhere to be seen. Out comes the younger kid I spoke to last time. I told him I was there for the headers and he goes to the back and brings them out. They look great until he gets closer. I see the very top of each tube "lighter" in color than the rest of the pipes. I told him that I waited two weeks for these things and you bring them to me "two-toned"!!!??? He apologizes and asks if I wanted to leave them so he could shoot them again. I told him no way, and I'm NOT paying $150 dollars for a crappy job. I told him that I was giving him $100 bucks and I wouldn't call the Better Business Bureau on his company!!! He explained to me that Joe was leaving and that he and his buddy were taking over the shop on Monday morning and that business dealings with them would change for the better. I told him best of luck, threw him a hundred dollar bill, and walked out of there! Tomorrow I'll spray the tops with the header paint to have them match all the way through, and get them mounted to the bike. I was too tired to fight anymore today. Here are the headers the way they came from the coater, and I use that term loosely!!!

IMG_2934.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. You can see by the arrows that not enough coating was applied to the tops of the pipes, causing a two-toned effect.

IMG_2937.jpg

Tomorrow I should have a bunch of things finished, or as much as I can do on my own. I had to drive today at work and my back is killing me after lifting something heavy off the truck. Pics to come tomorrow!!!

Billy that hugger looks really nice and will go well with the bike! Sucks about the headers and I can totally see what you're talking about. You were very generous in giving them $100. I would have given them $50 at most! At least most of it is coated...

That hugger is sweet! i have been thinking about buying one of those spare keys i only have one for my bike. wow on the header bad service and bad work. they may have already burned too many bridges to get it better if thats how they have been to everyone. at least the parts of the pipe that are easly seen when on the bike look good.

Billy that hugger looks really nice and will go well with the bike! Sucks about the headers and I can totally see what you're talking about. You were very generous in giving them $100. I would have given them $50 at most! At least most of it is coated...

Ditto what Tony said !! :+1:
Hang in there Billy !!

I know T, I was just really tired of dealing with those morons. As with anything, you live and learn. I'll never be back so good riddens to them. I had a feeling that the owner wouldn't be there. (How did I know that). I'm glad he wasn't because had it been him and he didn't accept what I was offering, there would have been some trouble over there. I'm glad I got them home. Tomorrow I'll it them in front of the heater in the garage and let them heat up real good and then lightly spray them with super light coats of the header paint until it matches. The header paint looks exactly the same when dry and it's only about 4 inches on one side of each tube. The backside is fine. The hugger is insanely nice! I'm super stoked over that piece.

I know T, I was just really tired of dealing with those morons. As with anything, you live and learn. I'll never be back so good riddens to them. I had a feeling that the owner wouldn't be there. (How did I know that). I'm glad he wasn't because had it been him and he didn't accept what I was offering, there would have been some trouble over there. I'm glad I got them home. Tomorrow I'll it them in front of the heater in the garage and let them heat up real good and then lightly spray them with super light coats of the header paint until it matches. The header paint looks exactly the same when dry and it's only about 4 inches on one side of each tube. The backside is fine. The hugger is insanely nice! I'm super stoked over that piece.

I hear what you're saying. Sometimes you just need to cut your loses and move on. I wouldn't really have felt comfortable leaving the headers there again.

And just and FYI I have used high-temp flat black BBQ paint to touch up the pipe where it connects to the muffler and it has held up and matched the ceramic coating perfectly. I know that right by where the pipe attaches to the head gets much hotter so not sure how well it would work there, but you already have that header paint.

I hear what you're saying. Sometimes you just need to cut your loses and move on. I wouldn't really have felt comfortable leaving the headers there again.

And just and FYI I have used high-temp flat black BBQ paint to touch up the pipe where it connects to the muffler and it has held up and matched the ceramic coating perfectly. I know that right by where the pipe attaches to the head gets much hotter so not sure how well it would work there, but you already have that header paint.

Well, the paint I bought has been tested to stand up to over 2,000 degrees, so hopefully it will be okay. I'm going to preheat them in front of the electric heater beforehand so the paint will adhere better. There is one light spot where it meets the can as well which I'll be touching up too.

Billy that hugger is sick! Sorry about the powder coating...

Thanks Bud! And what a surprise it was! Those huggers are made to order, and I was told to expect delivery anywhere from April 13th through the 27th. So when the UPS guy told me I had another package I couldn't think of what I had ordered. That's why I bought the stock chain guard in the meantime. I just wanted something to use until the hugger came.

The powdercoater was a wash. I wasn't expecting good things from him after the bull I listened to for two weeks so it was only fitting that he did a crappy job. I paid him what I thought was fair and I was being generous! It should be okay once I get done with them tomorrow.

I hope all is well with you down there. I heard about all the twisters that ran through Kentucky and Tennessee. Some places were completely ravaged.

Billy i like that floor in the pics. is your place old? It dont look like the new style wood floor the angle and the boards running with the walls looks great. now back to the bike.

Billy i like that floor in the pics. is your place old? It dont look like the new style wood floor the angle and the boards running with the walls looks great. now back to the bike.

Old?, Prehistoric is more like it. The floors are original to the house, and that was built about 1906. It's the third oldest house in the neighborhood. Decorative Tin Ceilings at 10' high, and 1-3/4" interior doors. You can't find that anymore. The rent here is 1/2 of what they are getting these days so until I move out of NY, this is where I'll be. The landlord is a dear friend of the family which makes living here very relaxing.

Billy that hugger is killer piece of art. Almost ready to rock, bet you cant wait to roll out on that bad boy.

Thanks, I should have it on by tomorrow. I need to swap out the rear brake line for the braided line I got from Tony, then I'll bleed the rear and install the hugger. I hope to have the exhaust and radiator installed as well. Time to start-up is nearing!! Can't wait!

Damn Billy! Well at least the high temp paint will work as a permanent fix but they've got big nuts to present you with a shabby job after such a long wait.

The redeeming factor is that hugger... :cloud9: :woot: :wow:

Enjoy the build tomorrow and keep us posted! I hope the assembly is SMOOTH!!! :cheerleader:

Damn Billy! Well at least the high temp paint will work as a permanent fix but they've got big nuts to present you with a shabby job after such a long wait.

The redeeming factor is that hugger... :cloud9: :woot: :wow:

Enjoy the build tomorrow and keep us posted! I hope the assembly is SMOOTH!!! :cheerleader:

Hopefully my back will cooperate tomorrow. I'm hitting the sack now to get a good night's rest and be downstairs by 7 or 7:30am. I'll have some pics up by the afternoon. It will be raining here by the AM, but it will be a balmy 60 degrees! They say the rain should clear out by the afternoon. Stay tuned brother! Have a great weekend. Time to hit the hay!

Billy, Despite the lighter color the coating should protect the headers for a very long time, and if it's ceramic, even out the heat. That hugger looks awesome and should help keep that rear end clean (the bike's). Can't wait for more pictures!

Back