Official YZF Makeover Thread

Well, the headers were not ready today!:looseit: I pulled up this evening and they were all huddled around an R1 outside the shop. I told him I was there for the headers. He goes, Yeah, they won't be ready until Thursday or Friday. That's when I lost it! I told him, "you told me the other day that they were in the oven"!!! He goes "yeah, they were being preheated". I told him "your kidding me right! They have been on the friggin bike for 15 years being heated and cooled hundreds of times!!! I'm not an idiot!!! Thats when the guy that does the actual coating pulled me aside. I told him not to bullsh%t me! I told him that all he had to say to begin with is that it would take two weeks and I would have made a decision then. WTF!!!! I told him not to give me a day and not have it ready! He apologized and assured me that Friday I'd be bringing them home with me. I told him that I don't do business like that and Friday had better be the day and that I wasn't dealing with the other guy anymore. He took my information down again and said he'd deal with me direct. I hate being lied to. It just burns me up! I'm a very honest person and I expect others to be the same way. I guess I'm just dreaming. So now it's Friday or nothing cause if they aren't ready then I'll just take them back and paint them myself! I could have had them on the bike already for Pete's sake! Sorry for venting but I'm pissed!

Oh my , , ,

Wow Billy,, ,, you are almost done with the YZF "re-build" !! Just in time for spring and the coming riding season , , , , , NICE !!!

You really have 'er looking great . . . .. I might add. :cheers:

Thats not good business and you should be upset. Guess just never go back. when i got mine painted guy told me by the end of next week. three weeks later i go get my parts untouched. i know how you are feeling.

Well, the headers were not ready today!:looseit: I pulled up this evening and they were all huddled around an R1 outside the shop. I told him I was there for the headers. He goes, Yeah, they won't be ready until Thursday or Friday. That's when I lost it! I told him, "you told me the other day that they were in the oven"!!! He goes "yeah, they were being preheated". I told him "your kidding me right! They have been on the friggin bike for 15 years being heated and cooled hundreds of times!!! I'm not an idiot!!! Thats when the guy that does the actual coating pulled me aside. I told him not to bullsh%t me! I told him that all he had to say to begin with is that it would take two weeks and I would have made a decision then. WTF!!!! I told him not to give me a day and not have it ready! He apologized and assured me that Friday I'd be bringing them home with me. I told him that I don't do business like that and Friday had better be the day and that I wasn't dealing with the other guy anymore. He took my information down again and said he'd deal with me direct. I hate being lied to. It just burns me up! I'm a very honest person and I expect others to be the same way. I guess I'm just dreaming. So now it's Friday or nothing cause if they aren't ready then I'll just take them back and paint them myself! I could have had them on the bike already for Pete's sake! Sorry for venting but I'm pissed!

You are completely justified in being pissed and to have gone off on him. If those bastards are done Friday I would shove them up the guys arse...........sideways!!! :looseit:

Thats not good business and you should be upset. Guess just never go back. when i got mine painted guy told me by the end of next week. three weeks later i go get my parts untouched. i know how you are feeling.

I know how you feel Billy!

You are completely justified in being pissed and to have gone off on him. If those bastards are done Friday I would shove them up the guys arse...........sideways!!! :looseit:

Oh, I'm definitely NEVER using this guy again. I'm just not saying anything to that effect until I have my headers in hand. Once I have them I will surely tell him what I think of his business practices. One way or another I will have them Friday. If they aren't done I'll just spray them myself and put the $150.00 dollars towards Ivan's tuning and be done with it. It's not the fact that it takes 2 weeks. I would have been okay with that. Just tell me up front that it's 2 weeks and thats it! Everyone is happy.

Bill you are completely justified he should have enough ethics to just be honest with you, good bad or indifferent the guy should have been upfront and communicated with you how long it would really take.

Bill you are completely justified he should have enough ethics to just be honest with you, good bad or indifferent the guy should have been upfront and communicated with you how long it would really take.

It sucks how some business owners show little appreciation to potential new customers. He doesn't know if I'm going to have many other parts to be done, so it's his loss at this point. The guy who usually does my tires has a shop where he produces his own line of parts, mostly for Harleys. He is looking for a new powdercoater and when he heard that I was bringing my pipes, he asked me to let him know how it went because his current guy became very unreliable and he needs a new guy. This guy has a catalog 1" thick of parts that he makes. I guess I won't be recommending this guy!!

it sucks the guy lied to you but from what tony said you looked tired so use the time to rest up and watch the DAYTONA 500.....

Yeah, Tony was right. I was very tired when he saw me. Maybe your right. The 500???, not sure. I boycotted Nascar when they came out with the C.O.T. a couple of years back. I only watch the Trucks now, and they are running those "cookie cutter" bodies as well. Definitely NOT what it used to be. I have the World Superbike races from "Down Under" recorded so I will watch some Mad Max Biaggi instead!! Thanks Ken.

Hey there Billy. Sorry to hear you're getting the run around. I know how you feel. Everywhere nonchalant lying is just common practice. To only a few is honesty important anymore. It really sucks.

Hey, even though I haven't posted much I'm really enjoying your thread here. It's expanding so quickly it's hard to keep up. Great work! Can't wait to see it in the spring.

Sorry to hear about the headers Billy. Based on what you told me on Sunday morning I'm not too surprised, but hopefully you do get them on Friday. It's incredible what poor customer skills a lot of small business owners have :shaking head:

Billy, that plain sucks! But, here's an idea.... Seems your area needs a good "honest" business man to open a new shop for powder coating. You see through this experience now two coaters that are unreliable and one business looking for someone who IS reliable. See where this is headed??? Be your own boss? ;) Materials and half the equipment are not all that expensive. You can use old kitchen ovens for small parts. A bigger oven is an expense. A media blaster from HF is cheap to prep parts... Just need a location!!!

Aside.... I hope they get them done and they come out really nice for you. Give them a very careful inspection before you lay out the cash. Then go punch that other guy in the face (or hit him with the headers...) :tup:

Billy, that plain sucks! But, here's an idea.... Seems your area needs a good "honest" business man to open a new shop for powder coating. You see through this experience now two coaters that are unreliable and one business looking for someone who IS reliable. See where this is headed??? Be your own boss? ;) Materials and half the equipment are not all that expensive. You can use old kitchen ovens for small parts. A bigger oven is an expense. A media blaster from HF is cheap to prep parts... Just need a location!!!

Aside.... I hope they get them done and they come out really nice for you. Give them a very careful inspection before you lay out the cash. Then go punch that other guy in the face (or hit him with the headers...) :tup:

I hear ya Eric. I've thought about powdercoating but this is ceramic coating which may be a different process, I'm not sure. I know better for next time, thats for sure!

I hear ya Eric. I've thought about powdercoating but this is ceramic coating which may be a different process, I'm not sure. I know better for next time, thats for sure!

Nope.... much the same process, just a bit more effort into prep work for pitting/corrosion. Apply the powder and bake at a hotter temperature for a longer period of time. You'd need an oven that can reach 500 degrees for ceramic coatings.

There's dry coatings and also wet coatings (dipping) that all produce differing finishes and textures. I am considering trying regular powder coating with a few parts myself. The sprayer kit is cheap and powders are not all that expensive. I'd be using only some blacks like a matte and semi-gloss to start. If I see good results, I might try some colors. I just need to find a large used oven that will do 500 and under sustained. I'm thinking something industrial from a closed restaurant? Only key to the oven is to use a reliable thermometer and don't rely on the dial. ;)

Might be a good side business.... :cheers:

Thank You Gary!!!!

I want to personally thank Gary (Pilot8127) for the new First Gear Tank Bag that arrived by surprise today at work. It's one thing that I don't have for the bike and will definitely come in handy this riding season. I'm loving it already!! Thanks buddy, you didn't have to do that, but I really appreciate it and will use it often. ;)

IMG_2931.jpg

I want to personally thank Gary (Pilot8127) for the new First Gear Tank Bag that arrived by surprise today at work. It's one thing that I don't have for the bike and will definitely come in handy this riding season. I'm loving it already!! Thanks buddy, you didn't have to do that, but I really appreciate it and will use it often. ;)

IMG_2931.jpg

Enjoy my friend . . . . ! I wasn't using it (heck, I never used it) and thought it would be appreciated there on your YZF ! heh,heh,
And, it's GIFT !! Can't beat that !!! :tup:

Back