New Yamaha Project???

While bearing hunting for the rear wheel I picked up a pair of ceramic 6205-2RS bearing for the camshafts. Yamaha uses a bushing and sometimes it can seize. There are a number of people on the Virago Tech Forum who have had this problem. Several guys have pulled the bushing and installed the bearing. I didn't do it during the motor build as I was asking for a lot of mods at once and I wanted to eliminate one odd-ball variable. This is pretty simple, just find TDC, release the tension on cam chain, remove the cam cover, slide the bushing out, and the bearing in. I figure, WTF, in for a penny, in for a pound and get the ceramic ones. Urban legend says that the motor gets better mileage because of the reduced friction. I doubt it. But a seized cam I don't want.

6205-2rs-c3-3.jpg

I got my IgniTech unit back from IgniTech yesterday. It tested okay however they replaced it with a brand new one along with new software. The tuning can begin again! :)

The last session on the dyno it made 74. With the programmable ignition I think 78 to 80 is doable. On a DynoJet maybe 86 to 88.

The problem I could run into is I'm almost at the limits of tuning the carbs. I can go up one more main jet, adjust the pilot raise the needle one more millimeter and that is it. We'll see.

Finished product! The bike handles much better with the wider wheel. As the bike leans more, more of the contact patch of the rear tire is used vs. the old wheel.

20151102_170832.jpg20151102_170843.jpg

Back