New Yamaha Project???

Now that is pretty cool.

I'd like to try a Bolt and see how it compares. I'm curious on how well or not the EFI works.

That would be a fun mod to try on my bike. Hummm....

NOS Badges installed. I've been saving these. Dated 06-09-1986 on the Yamaha package. The photo doesn't do them justice.

Superbike bar back on, polished and checked for the dyno this Saturday morning.

Should be perfect, 73 and 30% humidity is the forecast. The old air cooled motor should do well. Much past this time of year it's hit and miss here on good dyno weather. Could be snowing, could be 99. Seriously.

On this dyno 75 will be a good number. From the most recent hard ride there is no tuning left in the carbs. There's a moderate flat spot from maintenance throttle to WFO. It needs larger pilots but they don't exist. The 5 gas sensor will give the true picture of tune vs. Plug checks and throttle response.

Polished her too. Lookin good!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423110729060.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423110729060.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72
64 foot pounds of torque!

As with every trip to the dyno one learns a lot. 1) ignition unit was missing on the top end. Time to go back to OEM for now. 2) lean off idle, lean at highway cruise speeds. Shim needle 1mm, taper needles. 3) WOT is spot on. 4) Emissions are very low. Motor build is first rate; ring gap, piston clearance, assembly. 5) Once ignition is sorted should make power to 8,000. Is still making power at 7,500. 6) Need iridium plugs two ranges hotter. Traditional plugs could be contributing to miss.

Video to follow.

Last edited:
Cool article and a lot of great information... yes, would have been helpful and prevented you from reinventing the wheel. But think of the experience you gained!

Oh my goodness I've been slacking big time.

With the baby, work and pouring rain I've not done too much this Spring.

I had the wheels powder coated but the color didn't come out as expected. I should have them back in a different color in a couple of weeks or so.

Photos seem to be working today.

Here's photos of the new starter, compared to the old, new starter. The new, new starter is much nicer. Better castings, fit and finish. It's made in Taiwan, the old one in China. Go figure... I did end up using the bolts from the old starter as they a longer and nicer than the new one....

20150627_152343.jpg20150627_151602.jpg20150627_152500.jpg20150627_151624.jpg20150627_151707.jpg20150627_151543.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my goodness I've been slacking big time.

With the baby, work and pouring rain I've not done too much this Spring.

I had the wheels powder coated but the color didn't come out as expected. I should have them back in a different color in a couple of weeks or so.

<BREAK> What the heck happened to the photo editor? I used to be able to upload whatever sized file and the site cut it down. Now I can't upload a 300k file. What's up???

Not sure Pete. I only use Photobucket to show images so I've never used the photo editor. Wouldn't even know how to. Maybe Eric or Brenda may be able to help. Boy, and I was looking forward to some pics!

Look what I found today. A NOS side cover badge! Now I need to find a friend for it. With old parts I've found that doing a Google search of the PN will usually find the item, vs. searching web site after web site.

$T2eC16FHJHgE9n0yDjZuBQZNi845!Q--60_12.JPG

Here's the first attempt a powder coat on the wheels. They came out not very metallic and very much butterscotch. They're being redone and are due back any day now.

20150509_105028.jpg20150509_105201.jpg

Back