New member welcome thread...

Hello everyone. New to the site, obviously but not new to bikes.

Currently I have an FZ6R that my gf rides now and want to trade my Harley in on an FZ1.

I have several bikes but need something upright and good all around. I have the sport bike notch filled and the cruiser as well but I need a good standard liter bike.

Really eye balling a '13 FZ1.

I'll see you around and wish me luck tomorrow on trading my HD in on an FZ1!

Wishing you every bit of luck on getting rid of that Harley:rofl:

It is been a while since I am here, but its time to post some pics...

It is how she looked when i picked her on copart, dropped on side:
y2ybada3.jpg

And this is what turned out:
tu6ezury.jpg

Love my bike!

Newbie to FZ1N

Hi may name is Steve and i live in south east Kent and have recently purchased a YAmaha FZ1N in Red and White and looks wicked. Unfortunately i now have an issue with the bike after only 2 days so i will post up in relevant section. Look forward to any help and advice you have to offer.

Hi may name is Steve and i live in south east Kent and have recently purchased a YAmaha FZ1N in Red and White and looks wicked. Unfortunately i now have an issue with the bike after only 2 days so i will post up in relevant section. Look forward to any help and advice you have to offer.

Welcome Steve, and sorry your having issues. We'll try our best to get you sorted out as fast as possible so you can enjoy your ride once again!

Welcome Steve, and sorry your having issues. We'll try our best to get you sorted out as fast as possible so you can enjoy your ride once again!

Thanks you and i have now posted in what i think is the correct section so i hope to get some advice soon as i really want to get out on bike as the weather is fantastic.

Morning gents (and ladies). Signed up a couple of weeks ago after becoming the proud owner of a 2007 FZ1 with 32k miles onboard. Have to say loving the bike so far and of course it goes without saying the site is fantastic also. In the process of upgrading parts of the machine so no pics available at present. Going to get rid of the exhaust (how they where allowed to put that on a motorbike i'll never know) decat and put a mivv slip on ive ordered from Italy on her. Then moving on to sorting the ride out by putting an unused 2004 R1 shock on her. Already have the leather tank cover and givi box on the bike for those European tours in the summer. :stunta]:

Anyway just wanted to say hello and will be posting up on the site on a regular basis. Keep it between the ditches folks.

New kid in town

Hi there fellow FZ1'ers

Used to work/hangout at the FZ6 forum but decided with my 52 years it was time to move up to the FZ1-N ... No regret so far - a sweet bike that really rocks....

Lookin' forward to be here - Best wishes and best regards

Lars

436390-yamaha-fz1-n

436375-yamaha-fz1-n

Not to far from me. im only in essex. Welcome mate

I'm Alex
I'm from Green Bay Wisconsin, just bought a blue 2001 fz1 with under 3000 miles, lovin it so far, got it last night so i'm looking forward to riding all day tomorrow. I have an 81 cb650 that I learned on but I was ready for something nicer. I'm 20 and work for a tire warehouse and I spend as much free time as I can riding.

Hello, two weeks ago I purchased my '06 FZ1 and I've been loving every minute of it. I came from a 1977 Suzuki GS750 (my first bike) and got my hands plenty dirty learning how to maintain carburetors and an inline-four. I wanted a highway bike that I wouldn't have any issues with taking it for a cross-country trip, and I stumbled upon the FZ line. I'm active duty enlisted Air Force, and I know a lot of guys who ride. At this point I've owned two of the coolest motorcycles in the parking lot :D. Please check out my photos, and let me know if anybody is planning a ride through eastern Iowa/western Nebraska!

Hi,

I've finally felt justified in posting my first thread, having just taken delivery of a brand new 2012 FZ1S in pearl white!

This bike was a replacement for an ex-police BMW R1150RT & the difference is absolutely amazing.

The FZ acceleration (even in strict running-in mode) is phenomenal & this bike would leave the Beemer in the dust.

Hope you enjoy the picture.

img2033n.jpg

just bought my 06 FZ1 last night. was ridding a YZF600R previous. seems to be a great bike so far. very happy with the comfort of it. i live in Eau Claire WI.

just bought my 06 FZ1 last night. was ridding a YZF600R previous. seems to be a great bike so far. very happy with the comfort of it. i live in Eau Claire WI.

I'm sure you will enjoy the FZ1. It may be one of the weaker liter bikes in the lower revs, but I'm sure it's a boost from the 600. My wife's brother lives in Milwaukee, but I see you are much closer to Minneapolis. Did you get the red or silver? Throw up some pics when you get the chance. I'd love so see some of the YZF600R also, if you have some pics of it.

South Alabama!

Hey all, I'm Steve. I live in Mobile AL, and have purchased a 2013 FZ1. So far I have put about 50 miles on it. And I love it! Clean precise power. Even for only accessing the lower end of the power band, and scrubbing in the tires I am very impressed with every aspect of the bike.

New in Oregon

New to the site, and to owning a FZ1. Currently have 3 bikes, 09 R1, 08 FZ1 and the Ol' Lady's 06 R6S. Figured since this is my first Sport Touring bike, I'd get on here to ask questions, and gather information so I may as well start off with some questions.

1. When I bought the bike, it was wearing some Michelin Pilot Power Pure shoes. What do you guys run? How do the Pilot Road tires handle? What kind of mileage do they get? Compared to a "Super Sport" tire like the Pures or Metzler Sportec M3/M5.

2. Is there a way to, for lack of a better term, "smooth out" the throttle? It seems to be a bit underpowered from what I expected with kind of a "dead spot" at the bottom end of the throttle.

3. Is there any way to get rid of the x-up valve without replacing the complete exhaust system?

4. Is there any way to modify the airbox for better flow? when I changed the air cleaner after I bought the bike, I noticed that not only is the airbox tiny, but it is very restrictive.

Sorry for all the questions but this bike is new to me and I figured I may as well ask. Thanks guys/gals

New Member, wanted to say Hi!! Learning a lot from checking out some threads. Been riding my whole life (Dirtbikes) and got my first street bike 3 years ago. 2008 R6. Didn't ride much and some friends are getting into big trips so I just sold it and picked up a 2008 FZ1 with 7500 miles for $6000

I did do a 800 mile trip in 48 hrs with friends on the R6 and was really comfy actually. Did 350 miles in one stretch home(besides one fuelup) and legs were slightly sore when I got home, that's it.

The FZ1 is a nice bike. I am missing some of the explosive power the R6 had, but the FZ1 does pull harder in lower RPM's Havent ridded much since I got it (30 miles) as ive been cleaning the hell out of it. Guy did basic maintenance but header pipe is stained pretty bad, all plastics weathered and sun bleached but are coming back nicely.

I think I got a decent deal on the bike, as the GIVI setup alone is about $1000 new.

So far cleaned up top givi plate and left side motor from this:

To this:

Question,

Any tips for cleaning header? Ive done water and steelwool and it worked a bit but there are still some spots

BEFORE:

After

Last edited:
Heeelllloooo from Daz from Frodsham

Hi everyone my name is Daz Morland, I am 38 years old and have had a 17 hiatus from motorcycling. You could say I am classed as a born again biker, however although the machinery may have left me, the passion never did.
I have always owned Yamaha's, my first being a DTR125R trails bike. Derestricted it hit 90mph and was loads of fun.
In 1994 I had an argument with a flat back van which landed me in Whiston hospital for a while. Undeterred I left hospital and bought my dream bike which was a TDR250R supermotard. Super quick 2 stroke with a TZR250 engine.
I called it the "Cosworth beater" at the time, and I actually had a letter printed in "Fast Bikes" magazines about how much I loved the bike.

Then hard times hit and then I was forced to sell my beloved bike. Mum seen this as an opportunity to ban bikes from the house completely and I wasnt allowed to buy a new one later one! :( years passed and I followed my Idol Carl Fogarty in WSB until he retired through injury in 2000. Sadly I lost touch with motor racing because of Carl's exit and ended up spending the next 12 years yearning after a motorbike. THEN, mum and dad emigrated to Spain and along went the no-bike ruling too. I saw this as a window of opportunity to buy a bike however the accommodation I lived in never had a locked garage or anywhere I could store my potential bike. Damn, thwarted again.......then lady lucky sprinkled her dust over me last September and one of my mates mum and dad said that if I bought a motorbike then I could store it in their garage! Thrilled? You wouldn't believe! I have to admit the R1 was the first bike of choice, until the insurance quotes came through that is! However simmering and bubbling away in the back of my mind was the Yamaha Fazer! I liked the idea of a capable 1 litre motor with a upright riding position (like the TDR250 of old) that could travel good distances whilst still being good enough to have a bit of fun with.
In a strange twist of fate my mum and dad moved back from Spain last September and moved to Abergele, Wales.....just over the road from "Woods Motorcycles", where I had originally bought my used TDR250 in 1992! I wandered over one day last September to its new building in Peel Street to see if it could stir the dormant passion I once had. As you can imagine all the old mechanics and sales staff had since moved on but the owner Andy Wood of course was still there. This dealership is mainly Ducati and Triumph but still has a used section of quality bikes so straight away asked if they had a used Fazer in stock that I could look at? Fortunately they had :) I was expecting the ten year old model which sports a tubular frame with R1 brakes, however as he pulled the bike out of the line, out came this black and graphite grey pristine 2008 Fazer FZ1 (abs) with aluminium chassis........I am not messin I stood there with gob open for a good 20 seconds, and thats exactly when I new it had to be mine! Yes even without a test ride! I had to have it! It ticked all the boxes of what I saw as the perfect motorbike! When the salesman told me it had the 150bhp R1 motor a little bit of wee nearly came out too! The following week I took it for a 80 mile test ride to my hometown and back. I was half expecting to be scared as hell of it, but I wasnt. Instead it was like the bike spoke to me in a "where the hell have you been" kind of way. Yes the engine was powerful and yes the chassis was dripping in modern day technology, but somehow my old riding brain kicked in and we gelled together like the most natural thing in the world. If you were on the road that day and saw me you would have never have guessed I have been out of biking for 17 years and that this was my first test ride. After an emotional day I dropped the bike off paid a deposit and picked it up the following week, serviced, taxed, MOT's, and new tyre. I even had a factory fitted alarm fitted before I picked it up and also bought new RST 2 peice suit (not leather), boots and lid from the dealership too. On closer inspection of the bike I noticed afterwards that it had Oxford heated grips, a scott oiler, Gel seat, and an extended adjustable windscreen. The previous owner had obviously looked after it, and I thank him for that whoever you are :) Since September last year I have put 4500 miles on it and its now on 19000 odd! The only thing I have replaced is the rear tyre, as the original had squared off by what I assume was many motorway miles previously. My girlfriend loves the pillion seat and we have done loads of trips down to Hastings, Matlock, Lake District and Wales on the bike. I have bought "Love handles" off e-bay which is basically a strap and handled that go around the riders middle so the pillion can grab onto! I swear its made the riding experience so much better when carrying a pillion. Ask her! Anyway thanks for listening to my mini story and I look forward to chatting and posting on here :)

New (to me) FZ1 owner!

Just returning to riding after 5 years with little kids. Now that they're a little older it will be easier to disappear for the afternoon in search of twisties or the occasional longer trip.
Bought a silver 05 FZ1 yesterday and put about 80 miles on it today, WOW!!!
My last (and first) bike was an 86 Honda Interceptor 500, so the FZ is twice as big and twice as good in just about every way.
The bike I bought is totally stock except for handlebar risers, so I'm looking forward to making some mods with advice from the pros here.

Back