New member welcome thread...

Hi everyone my name is Daz Morland, I am 38 years old and have had a 17 hiatus from motorcycling. You could say I am classed as a born again biker, however although the machinery may have left me, the passion never did.
I have always owned Yamaha's, my first being a DTR125R trails bike. Derestricted it hit 90mph and was loads of fun.
In 1994 I had an argument with a flat back van which landed me in Whiston hospital for a while. Undeterred I left hospital and bought my dream bike which was a TDR250R supermotard. Super quick 2 stroke with a TZR250 engine.
I called it the "Cosworth beater" at the time, and I actually had a letter printed in "Fast Bikes" magazines about how much I loved the bike.

Then hard times hit and then I was forced to sell my beloved bike. Mum seen this as an opportunity to ban bikes from the house completely and I wasnt allowed to buy a new one later one! :( years passed and I followed my Idol Carl Fogarty in WSB until he retired through injury in 2000. Sadly I lost touch with motor racing because of Carl's exit and ended up spending the next 12 years yearning after a motorbike. THEN, mum and dad emigrated to Spain and along went the no-bike ruling too. I saw this as a window of opportunity to buy a bike however the accommodation I lived in never had a locked garage or anywhere I could store my potential bike. Damn, thwarted again.......then lady lucky sprinkled her dust over me last September and one of my mates mum and dad said that if I bought a motorbike then I could store it in their garage! Thrilled? You wouldn't believe! I have to admit the R1 was the first bike of choice, until the insurance quotes came through that is! However simmering and bubbling away in the back of my mind was the Yamaha Fazer! I liked the idea of a capable 1 litre motor with a upright riding position (like the TDR250 of old) that could travel good distances whilst still being good enough to have a bit of fun with.
In a strange twist of fate my mum and dad moved back from Spain last September and moved to Abergele, Wales.....just over the road from "Woods Motorcycles", where I had originally bought my used TDR250 in 1992! I wandered over one day last September to its new building in Peel Street to see if it could stir the dormant passion I once had. As you can imagine all the old mechanics and sales staff had since moved on but the owner Andy Wood of course was still there. This dealership is mainly Ducati and Triumph but still has a used section of quality bikes so straight away asked if they had a used Fazer in stock that I could look at? Fortunately they had :) I was expecting the ten year old model which sports a tubular frame with R1 brakes, however as he pulled the bike out of the line, out came this black and graphite grey pristine 2008 Fazer FZ1 (abs) with aluminium chassis........I am not messin I stood there with gob open for a good 20 seconds, and thats exactly when I new it had to be mine! Yes even without a test ride! I had to have it! It ticked all the boxes of what I saw as the perfect motorbike! When the salesman told me it had the 150bhp R1 motor a little bit of wee nearly came out too! The following week I took it for a 80 mile test ride to my hometown and back. I was half expecting to be scared as hell of it, but I wasnt. Instead it was like the bike spoke to me in a "where the hell have you been" kind of way. Yes the engine was powerful and yes the chassis was dripping in modern day technology, but somehow my old riding brain kicked in and we gelled together like the most natural thing in the world. If you were on the road that day and saw me you would have never have guessed I have been out of biking for 17 years and that this was my first test ride. After an emotional day I dropped the bike off paid a deposit and picked it up the following week, serviced, taxed, MOT's, and new tyre. I even had a factory fitted alarm fitted before I picked it up and also bought new RST 2 peice suit (not leather), boots and lid from the dealership too. On closer inspection of the bike I noticed afterwards that it had Oxford heated grips, a scott oiler, Gel seat, and an extended adjustable windscreen. The previous owner had obviously looked after it, and I thank him for that whoever you are :) Since September last year I have put 4500 miles on it and its now on 19000 odd! The only thing I have replaced is the rear tyre, as the original had squared off by what I assume was many motorway miles previously. My girlfriend loves the pillion seat and we have done loads of trips down to Hastings, Matlock, Lake District and Wales on the bike. I have bought "Love handles" off e-bay which is basically a strap and handled that go around the riders middle so the pillion can grab onto! I swear its made the riding experience so much better when carrying a pillion. Ask her! Anyway thanks for listening to my mini story and I look forward to chatting and posting on here :)

Fisrt off, great name ;) Reading your story, I was almost scared how similar my story is to yours in some respects. I started riding Yamaha 2 stroke 100cc on/off road. Bought an XT350 new in '86 at 16. Road it through most of college when a bimbo turned in front of me killing my bike (luckily, I ended up much better). Insurance money wasn't nearly enough to replace the bike, but it did by an engagement ring for my now wife. (not everything is the same).

I was out of riding for 15 or so years, althogh I did borrow some bikes from my brother and father-in-law at times. My wife went out and bought a new '09 Ninja 250R for herself in April 2010. Well, I couldn't go without a bike any longer, so I started my search. I had always had my eye on the FZ1 (we don't have the naked in the states, so the FZ1 is your Fazer). A little research convinced me that was the bike I wanted. I looked at a red '06, but that deal didn't work out. I was just browsing at another dealership, and :wow: they had this '07 with 1600 miles on it. I fell in love on the test ride (well, really long before the test ride) and as you talked about, felt very comfortable with the bike. The seating position reminded me of the dirt bikes I'd ridden in my youth. October 1, 2010, I owned it. I just turned over 14,000 miles yesterday.

:welcome: I think you will enjoy this forum and there are many friendly, helpful members with much more knowledge than me. Congrats on your new bike. I'm sure you will love it. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures! I look forward to more!

Just returning to riding after 5 years with little kids. Now that they're a little older it will be easier to disappear for the afternoon in search of twisties or the occasional longer trip.
Bought a silver 05 FZ1 yesterday and put about 80 miles on it today, WOW!!!
My last (and first) bike was an 86 Honda Interceptor 500, so the FZ is twice as big and twice as good in just about every way.
The bike I bought is totally stock except for handlebar risers, so I'm looking forward to making some mods with advice from the pros here.

Congrats on the bike and :welcome:! I get to sneak off more now that my kids are 13 and 11. Gen I bikes are great. There are some aspects I wish I had in my Gen II and wonder if a Gen I would fit my riding a bit better. No matter, both Gen FZ1's are amazing bikes! I'm sure it's a little different than the 500 V4. It's hard to beat an I4 liter bike for excitement (maybe a 1000-1200 triple) :) I'm talking to YOU, Yamaha!

Throw up some pictures if you get the chance. It's been a very rainy spring, but I've still managed to get some good miles in. I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Hey all, I'm Steve. I live in Mobile AL, and have purchased a 2013 FZ1. So far I have put about 50 miles on it. And I love it! Clean precise power. Even for only accessing the lower end of the power band, and scrubbing in the tires I am very impressed with every aspect of the bike.

:welcome: Steve. I love the "faster" cobalt blue bikes! (3rd year for them: '07; '09 and '13). I like the blacked out rear on this years bike. You've made a good choice and I'm sure you will love it. It's a great bike stock, but be careful about all the mods you'll read about. It can dip into your pockets :) Many performance mods, suspension, seats, windshields, too many to name. Just enjoy it stock for a while. I know you just got it. I haven't done any major mods, and am still loving it after 2.5 years.

Thanks for joining. Ride safely, have fun. :rmwl:

Gday guys.

My name is Donny and I'm from Perth Western Australia. Im 40, bald, covered in tattoos, Play Aussie rules footy and spent some time in the military before settling down as a medical scientist in a Public hospital.

I have just migrated up to an FZ1N from an R6. Was really a choice based on Yamaha loyalty, litre capacity and riding position.

Great site here and I've already seen plenty I want to do to the bike. First port of call was the Yoshi pipe in carbon fibre, looks and sounds awesome.

Hey Gang,
My name is Steve I'm a big yamaha fan I just sold my fzr600 and have moved my attention to getting my 97 1000 back on the road.I met a nice guy (Billy) from here who invited me to join club.I'm A regular guy originally from ny Currently living in Tn.
Happy to be hear!!!!!!

Hey Gang,
My name is Steve I'm a big yamaha fan I just sold my fzr600 and have moved my attention to getting my 97 1000 back on the road.I met a nice guy (Billy) from here who invited me to join club.I'm A regular guy originally from ny Currently living in Tn.
Happy to be hear!!!!!!

Glad you made your way over Steve. Tons of great people here on the site, and it never matters that your not on an FZ1. We don't discriminate!

New forum member

Hello everyone. My name is Tom and I live in Northern NJ. I own an 05 FZ6 but I am CERTAIN my next bike is an FZ1.

I have only been riding 2 years but have racked up about 15k miles since purchasing my bike in March of 12. I do not commute but ride every chance I get in the warm weather.

I am married with 2 boys (18 and 25) and am an avid fan of NHL hockey, MotoGP and Formula 1.

:sport12:

Hello everyone. My name is Tom and I live in Northern NJ. I own an 05 FZ6 but I am CERTAIN my next bike is an FZ1.

I have only been riding 2 years but have racked up about 15k miles since purchasing my bike in March of 12. I do not commute but ride every chance I get in the warm weather.

I am married with 2 boys (18 and 25) and am an avid fan of NHL hockey, MotoGP and Formula 1.

:sport12:

Welcome Tom! We'll have to get you up to the Mountain for some rides for sure! Do any of "the boys" ride as well?

Welcome Tom! We'll have to get you up to the Mountain for some rides for sure! Do any of "the boys" ride as well?

Thanks.

They don't but I ride the mountains al the time. I do all my riding in Rockland, Orange, Westchester and Putnam counties. I have been a member of the FZ6 forum since I got the ride, and I have ridden with the locals a few times.

I'd love to join the FZ1 crowd on a group ride in the area. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks.

They don't but I ride the mountains al the time. I do all my riding in Rockland, Orange, Westchester and Putnam counties. I have been a member of the FZ6 forum since I got the ride, and I have ridden with the locals a few times.

I'd love to join the FZ1 crowd on a group ride in the area. I'll keep my eyes open.

Well, Harriman is in Rockland. I meant Bear Mountain. We also do Orange County as well as Putnam. I never ride down in the Bronx. Your welcome to come along whenever you want. I always post a ride here first in case anyone wants to join up. I usually ride alone because I'm an "early bird" and most guys don't want to get up that early in the morning. My philosphy is that the earlier the better. I'm riding 100 to 150 miles before most people wake up and hit the roads. I feel safer that way.

Cool. I too like to ride early. I know a lot of the roads in the area (106, 218. 301 into Carmel, Tiorati Brook Rd, etc) but I am always on the lookout for new ones.

I'll keep an eye open for a ride.

Cool. I too like to ride early. I know a lot of the roads in the area (106, 218. 301 into Carmel, Tiorati Brook Rd, etc) but I am always on the lookout for new ones.

I'll keep an eye open for a ride.

Excellent! Route 106 was closed last week again. Must of had flooding. If they would pave that entire stretch from 17 to Seven Lakes Drive, that would be THE BEST road up there to run. It's just so filled with potholes, it's no fun at all. We did 218 two weeks back and 301 is a nice road if you don't get stuck behind someone.

Excellent! Route 106 was closed last week again. Must of had flooding. If they would pave that entire stretch from 17 to Seven Lakes Drive, that would be THE BEST road up there to run. It's just so filled with potholes, it's no fun at all. We did 218 two weeks back and 301 is a nice road if you don't get stuck behind someone.

The last I saw they were working 106 between Seven Lakes Dr and Route 17. The part between Seven Lakes and the Palisades Pk was open. Agreed, if they lay down some fresh pavement it will be perfect....as soon as they get rid of the bicycles.

The last I saw they were working 106 between Seven Lakes Dr and Route 17. The part between Seven Lakes and the Palisades Pk was open. Agreed, if they lay down some fresh pavement it will be perfect....as soon as they get rid of the bicycles.

Oh God! Don't start me up on the bicyclists!!! WTH!!! All the sudden, they need an entire lane to ride in! I thought they were supposed to ride "single file" when you have a bicycle on the roads?! I can't tell you how many times I've been coming around a corner and have three of them abreast in my lane!

New Kid on the block!

Whats up everyone, My name is Billy, 41 and I live in Virginia. I just bought my first bike in june... a Black, 2007 FZ1, Im still learning to ride and learn the ins and outs of my bike. Im hoping this forum will help educate me on the things i need to know and do. Right now i don't know any one else that has a bike except my Girl friend and she just got hers in May a 09 Vstar 650. I don't really have any mods..yet but the bike had Red Led's on it when i got it, i bough so far the HJC Is-Max Bluetooth modular helmet, KeSound(TM) bluetooth headsets, charger city cell phone holder, Shogun sliders, and next on my list are some lower fairings and a Gipro X-type gear indicator..

I also have 2 lowriders a 99 sonoma and 97 geo tracker that i tinker with when i have time.. 99sonoma.com

Last edited:
Whats up everyone, My name is Billy, 41 and I live in Virginia. I just bought my first bike in june... a Black, 2007 FZ1, Im still learning to ride and learn the ins and outs of my bike. Im hoping this forum will help educate me on the things i need to know and do. Right now i don't know any one else that has a bike except my Girl friend and she just got hers in May a 09 Vstar 650. I don't really have any mods..yet but the bike had Red Led's on it when i got it, i bough so far the HJC Is-Max Bluetooth modular helmet, KeSound(TM) bluetooth headsets, charger city cell phone holder, Shogun sliders, and next on my list are some lower fairings and a Gipro X-type gear indicator..

I also have 2 lowriders a 99 sonoma and 97 geo tracker that i tinker with when i have time.. 99sonoma.com

Welcome Billy! :welcome: The trick is to start slow, especially if you have not ridden before. The FZ1 is a whole lotta bike that can get you in trouble really quick if it's not respected. Maybe a Rider's Course would be a great idea. You'll learn more in 3 days than you would riding alone for a year. Post some pics up of the new ride when you get a chance!

Hewllo from a newbie

Hello team,I`m Chris from Adelaide, and I just bought a 2001 fz1.
I also ride a 2012 zx14 r , and a suzuki gsr 600.
Have had too many bikes to list over the years including a couple of Hayabusas.
Was lucky to pick up the fz1 from an old guy who hardly ever rode it .
Only 16000 kms on the clock.
Hope to enjoy being on the forum and maybe catch up with some of the Aussie members.

Hi All. I'm Derek. Just joined up to the forum. I have a 2010 black FZ1 purschased spring 2012. Have put on about 12k miles in 1.25 years and absolutely love the bike, it still feels new every time I get on it. So far I have only put in a K&N filter and Vance & Hines CS One exhaust, and t-rex frame sliders.

My passion is anything on 2 wheels: dirt bikes, street bikes, mountain bikes and even BMX bikes. Used to GNCC/hare scramble race my 04 ktm 300, but with trying to get another degree while working full time, not as much time for dirt bike racing lately.

Hoping to get some good tips/pointers for working on/moding my fz here.

Back