New member welcome thread...

Hi! from Oklahoma usa

My name is mike .
I have a 08 Fz1 and have done some up grades on it like a new suspension system from lindemann engineering out of california. brand new 03 r1 forks with caliper adaptors so i could keep my big rotors .those guys sprung and valved for me and the rear shock is a tuned pinskee helping keep those bridgestone BT002Rs stuck to the ground . WOW! talk about a differance that made on the bike. also a two brothers slip on and power comander.
andjustable rear sets too . but right now shes in the shop getting a new retro body kit put on from yamaha. SEXY! I have had a lot of bikes from gixxers to criusers . but my FZ1 is the best for carving the road up or just riding around the country side. my buddys all have cbrs,r1s,gixxers, exs. and they dont know what to think when they let it all hang out and look back and still see me right there on there @$$.

and also i work for a company i am marryed and two kids and like to hunt , fish, and have fun when possible but thats enough side about that kind of stuff . I hope to chat with some of you some time . Thanks! for your time .
joined 8/31 /09

Hi I'm Andy I own a beautiful red 2006 FZ1 with lower fairings, a hyperpro sterring damper, Yamaha so called comfort seat. My wife owns a 2008 blue FZ6. We love the Yamaha's FZ's. In my spare time I am a Senior instructor with Canadian Safety Counci our MTP programl.

Welcome Mike. Definitely want to see pics of the bike after she's done. You'll have a great time here. There are lots of great people just waiting to shoot the breeze or to lend a helping hand whenever possible.

spikes Fz1

Hi! and Thanks!
I will be glad to post some pics when ever i get it back from the shop.
the only thing is that the yamadog place said it would be about three weeks before i get it back . thats most unfortunate for me because we have had some of the most beautiful weather for august i have seen in a long time for oklahoma.
and i have been going threw some withdrawls to.
I have a full custom CMC california motorcycle company bike but i have the back fender taken off of it for repairs and cant ride that thing either. it has a revtech six speed and a polished S&S engine on it CRAP!
over and out . Spike

talk any time

Thanks!
for the worm welcomes .
I'll be glad to talk any time . I might be slow to answer until i get all this stuff figured out . this stuff is kind of new to me plus im not very good on a computer any ways

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum last week. Just put a deposit down for a 2003 FZ1 and will be picking it up on Friday. It has 16,000 miles on it and is bone stock but the bike is pristine.
I am 25 years old and a flight instructor in the Napa Valley in Northern California. I've been married to my best friend for just over two years and am just getting my carrier going as a commercial pilot. I finally got enough money to get a bike and now I'll be enjoying it very soon. Upgrades will come slowly.

Hello FZ1-forum members

Hi everyone my name is Adam.

I am the proud owner of a 2008 raven gray FZ1. I love every second I ride on this bike. I started out on a Suzuki gs 500 and traded it in on the FZ1. This was the perfect choice for me!!!!

I just happened to stumble across this site and am very glad I did. The amount of knowledge people bring and share on this site is great!!

I live in western South Carolina so if anyone is out this way let me know and we will go for a ride.:sport12:

Greetings! I have followed a few links over to this site and finally took the time to register. I have an '05 Blue FZ1 that has the typical array of mods + or - a few based on opinion. I do all my own work, generally using the www as a security blanket for the tricky stuff.

Anyone from the FZ1oa may recognize my username. I've been over there since early '05 or so. I have seen several familiar usernames here already.

Greetings all. I am a proud owner of an 04 skunk that I use mainly as a commuter for my daily 50 mile rouind trip. I've owned quite a few bikes and love the FZ because it does everything right: Power, ergos, styling, etc.

Greetings! I have followed a few links over to this site and finally took the time to register. I have an '05 Blue FZ1 that has the typical array of mods + or - a few based on opinion. I do all my own work, generally using the www as a security blanket for the tricky stuff.

Anyone from the FZ1oa may recognize my username. I've been over there since early '05 or so. I have seen several familiar usernames here already.

Greetings all. I am a proud owner of an 04 skunk that I use mainly as a commuter for my daily 50 mile rouind trip. I've owned quite a few bikes and love the FZ because it does everything right: Power, ergos, styling, etc.

Welcome to both "Cowboy" and Phred. Really glad you guys are aboard here. Maybe you guys could share some pics of your rides. Welcome again!

Newbe

“Hi my name is Craig (Buddy769)”
I am 44 years young. I am on my second year of riding, and I LOVE IT. I live in Millbrook, Ontario, Canada; I ride a 2006 Silver FZ1 my second bike (sold my 2005 SV650s 3 weeks ago). I HAVE THE NEED FOR SPEED. I also ride an Artic Cat DVX 400 sport Quad. :+1:

Hey guys. My wife and I went to Indy for the MotoGP races...and she said the words to me, why don't we get a bike too?.

After I fell over, I then decided to start looking. I currently have a KLX that I dual sported, but need something fun to ride two up on.

Looked at VFR's, Ducati Supersports, YZF 600's. Now i'm settled on a 2006-2008 FZ1 or FZ6. I've owned Yamaha's my whole life, started w/ a 81 Seca 550, then an 86 FZ600.

Point me in a direction to determine if an FZ1 is in my future. Any major problems? YZF 600's 2nd gear bent shift fork and the nature of them being flat out ugly turned me off.

Seems to me the FZ is a more of an upright riding postion w/ a flatter power curve, exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Welcome Stephen, An FZ1 would be a great bike for two-up riding allowing comfort and power plus sportiness to boot. I'm talking about a first generation bike which is from 2001-2005. The newer generation bikes, 2006 to the present aren't as comfortable as they went to a bit more sportier type ergonomics. I also don't have any time on a second generation bike so I don't want to speak out of turn. There may be some GenII owners who feel it's as comfortable as the first generation.

yeah that is what i'm thinking. FZ1 over FZ6 as well is what I'm thinking. I'm pretty active on the Benz forum and Thumper Talk, and i know forums like this can save everyone time and a lot of money. And be addictive... :hook2:
I do know one thing, test riding that Ducati 900SS was a nightmare, what a POS. :shame:And the Ducati forum never granted me access to ask questions.

I need to fumble and bumble my way around this forum to see what sort of gremlins and problems these FZ's have. As of now, it seems abrupt throttle response. Funny, that exactly describes the other Yamaha's I've owned haha. Somethings never change, but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I just got a new '09 cobalt blue FZ1 right out of the crate. I'm 48 and haven't ridden a bike in nearly 30 years (I had a honda cb350 in 1977 at age 16 and a suzuki gs400 in '79 at age 18.) I feel a little guilty/irresponsible at going for such a powerful bike initially since I had so little recent experience riding and I was initially going to get an SV650 or ninja 650 since I've read they're great bikes to start out/resume biking on.

Anyway, the salesmen steered me towards bigger bikes right off the bat (I'm assuming they did this because I'm pretty muscular and well built (I'm only 5'9" and 190lbs, but everyone thinks I'm bigger than I am) - first the honda 919 and vfr interceptor and then I was shown the FZ1 and the Kawasaki Z1000 at another dealership. Anyway, I knew I should probably get more of a starter bike, but I sat on the bikes and they all just felt so comfortable and felt like bikes I could manage as long as I didn't push their capabilities.

Had a shop employee drive the FZ1 home for me since I didn't want to venture out on my maiden voyage in rush hour traffic on heavily trafficked roads. I drove the bike around the neighborhood a few times to ensure I could operate it at a basic level. Then, I got up early the following Sat. morning before the roads were trafficked and I felt like I rode the bike pretty well at a beginner's level. The bad thing was - after about 6 or 7 miles the bike started sputtering and even stalled out on me. I pushed it around the corner, restarted it, and was able to sputter home.

I rode it later that afternoon and everything was good for 5 or so miles and then the bike started to sputter and stall and I had to push it down the road a bit to a safe location where I restarted it and sputtered my way home. I took it back to the shop, and the mechanic rode it around some and he said ihe thought the problem was a bad fuel pump (he put a new one on from another bike and no problems ensued) and he ordered a new one, so I'm looking forward to getting my bike back and getting back into motorcycling since I was having a great time riding until the problems kicked it.

This board looks like a great resource, especially for the newer folk like me.

-Jefs

As one who can attest to having bigger eyes initially -- just take your time and do small rides. It is not so much being on a 30 yr. hiatus as it is dealing in a time where now everyone is distracted while in a cage.

Mobile phones were only for the elite and the radio was reallly the only thing to fuss with...now with all of the electronic "coveinences", it is amazing that there is not a wreck every block.

That being said, there is nothing that should make you not wear gear when you ride -- helmet/gloves/jacket/leather boots -- and even good overpants (but I still ride in jeans for the daily commute)

MSF class would probably do you some good as well -- refresh and instill some old insticts with a new twist.

Welcome to the Madness -- you have about 6 mos before the wallet will suffer a massive hemorage in the pursuit of the perma-grin you will come to love as you opt for the bike every chance you get.....

Adam

Congrats of the FZ1 Jefs. I doubt it's a bad fuel pump, but I guess it could happen. I bet more than likely it was the old kinked fuel line not allowing the bike to get enough gas. Pretty common on these bikes if you're not careful when putting the gas tank on. Fuel pumps usually either work or they don't...well that's been my experience anyway.

I appreciate the warm welcome to the forum guys.

BroHay, I just ride for fun and not to commute and/or galavant around off-bike and WILL ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, and am currently looking into options for pants/leg protection. I definitely want to take an MSF course since everyone recommends newcomers do this, but I have to take care of an 82 year old mom with Alzheimers and can't get away for 2 or 3 consecutive days, so I'm going to call around to see if anyone can work an irregular schedule for me.

NJFZ1, the mechanic told me my problem was a bad fuel pump and told me he installed it and rode it around quite a bit to ensure everything was working. I took it home and rode it around for a half hour or so and everything seems to be working (meaning, it didn't cut off on me and I didn't have to push it down the road as before.)

Anyway, I feel a little guilty about my return to motorcycling on such a powerful machine, but I'm hoping for the best. The funny (no, criminal) thing is that the salesman pointed me in the direction of a Suzuki B-King and told me that he could get me a real good deal on one and that it might be a bike for me to consider even after I told him I hadn't been on a bike in 29 or so years and my previous bikes were a cb350 and gs400. Guess folks are a little crazy around these parts.

I look forward to learning a lot and receiving good advice from you folks - TIA.

Back