New member welcome thread...

New member here to the fourm, from Southern California. Riding a 2003 Blue FZ1. Look forward to seeing what information I can find here.
I have had the bike for 13 months and have put about 12,000 miles on her :)

Daniel

HA! I haven't had the opportunity to take her out of the city yet, but here's a quick pic I took the day I brought her home 3 days ago.

New member here to the fourm, from Southern California. Riding a 2003 Blue FZ1. Look forward to seeing what information I can find here.
I have had the bike for 13 months and have put about 12,000 miles on her :)

Daniel

Welcome Big Dan. Good to have ya here. Almost 1,000 miles a month! Good job, keep up the good work. Billy.

Greetings!

:sport12: Recently got an '09 Granite, after 7 yrs. 44,000 miles on a black '02. to the un-trained eye, they are so similar many of my riding buddies took a while to register that it was a new ride! love both Gen I and IIs; the plushness and mileage of the Gen I, and the quickness, firm handling, and fuel injection of the Gen II. I am a CSI supervisor, for 20 years now and joined the "other" forum in '06. enjoy this one as well. GenI seems to run a bit cooler, too, even though some say it's Hot (literally & figuratively)! Rode BMWs for many years, like 9 bikes in a row, dating back hundreds of thousands of miles, and to about 1983. Wouldn't mind one of the new 800GSs for a 2nd bike. (yes, with that kind of history, I am a bit long in the tooth, 56 yoa, to be exact, with probably 850,000 motorcycling miles ridden). hope many more to come! enjoy this site, and reading the posts on this thread.

and I'm still trying to dig myself out of it -- but the dealer is being unforgiving -- longest I've been this negative for some time....but I guess for 2mil spent -- it could be worse...

and I'm still trying to dig myself out of it -- but the dealer is being unforgiving -- longest I've been this negative for some time....but I guess for 2mil spent -- it could be worse...

I'll have to PM you with my little secret to building up my pot. It works as long as I don't get carried away. I've gone from "zero" back up to over 4 g's in just the last few days on Blackjack.

Hi all my name is Ernie i grew up near Fargo North Dakota and recently got into the sports bike world. Owned a few crusiers before friends got me into naked bikes. they all ride honda 919s i wanted to be diffrent plus i like the R1 engine. Im a automotive tech in a small shop love tinkering on anything and everything. Im also in the Air National Guard served for 3 years so far and spent some time in Iraq. Really enjoying the site so far keep up the good work

So then you plan on completeting the build and make the FZ engine like its bigger brother??

Welcome to the forum, the madness, and everything in between!

Adam

Noob intro...

I'll try to keep it on the high points...

I started out as a cruiser guy back in '99 (I was 19), on a V-Star 650, my first bike. It didn't take long to fall in love with two wheeled mentality, and I honestly wondered how I'd made it that long without having one.

From there I moved up to Yamaha's Road Star. Loved it, still have it and picked up another Roadie recently. The wife started riding and moved up to a V-Star 1100 after learning on my old 650. Still have both of those too, but I'm looking to mix it up a bit...I need more variety.

In the summer of '07 we found out that we were going to be first time parents. After much eyebrow raising from friends/family, I started looking for a sidecar rig. It's a Triumph Tiger mated to a Ural tub, and is about the handiest thing to ride that you can imagine. My little girl is about to turn 2yo, so I'm looking forward to enjoying many miles with her very soon.

I've got about 100k miles of seat time, but it's all on cruisers. Lately I find myself pushing my bike (I use the Road Star as a daily commuter) more and more. I hammer it in the twisties, but am to the point where I'm ready for a better 'fun' bike. It does very well for what it is, but I still want more.

So, for the last 6-9 months I've been trying to nail down what I think I want. Performance, handling, easy/low maintenance, and naked styling. Enter the competition...

My original list consisted of a Triumph Speed Triple (1050), Buell XB12s, KTM Super Duke/Moto, Ducati Monster/Hypermoto. I have a limited budget, but am also not against the used market. Due to the KTM and Ducati options being more maintenance intensive than I wanted, they got booted. Though they're still awesome bikes. That left the S3 and Buell. I had all but decided on the Triumph, until last weekend. That's when I stumbled across a revelation, the FZ1.

When I first started compiling the list, I looked at the FZ, but loved the Euro styled version much better. Since it was only available across the pond, I abandoned what may have become the obvious choice. The revelation I had, or better yet was given, is that you can convert the faired US version over to a FZ1N. I'm sure that everyone here already knows that, but this was music to my virgin ears.

With the available mod, the FZ1 meets all of my needs. It looks to outperform both of the other choices, has lower maintenance (I'm still researching this, thanks to you guys), and looks awesome with the -N conversion...plus it's a Yamaha.:deal:

That's my story...I joined up so I can learn as much as I can about this curious, apparently underrated, animal. If everything gets sorted, I'll hopefully be looking to score a deal on one this fall.

Thanks in advance...
Luke

With the dealer incentives -- you can p/u on up at a fairly reasonable price. Since you are not under the gun, and if you have cash in hand, you can shop around to p/u bikes that will have mods that enhance the performance (w/o having to purchase stock and then upgrade).

About another 500.00 and you can get the Euro conversion -- sell your other parts (if you need to recoup some of your hard earned $$) and be good to go.

As far as put the key in, fire it up, and get after it -- I have been really impressed. I'm a Gen I owner, but if it is this solid of a bike, before the Gen II, I can only imagine.

Welcome to the forum -- and post up a picture of the sidecar attached to your current ride before you and your daughter hit the open road.

Adam

Hi everyone

My name is Melanie but I usually go by Mel. We just moved from Germany to Dayton, Ohio and just bought a 2009 FZ1 yesterday. We have been avid riders for years but we had to sell our german spec bikes before moving to the US. I have owned different bikes from Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzuki but I absolutely fell in love the the FZ's. I owned a 2005 FZ6 in Germany and almost cried when I sold it. But the FZ 1 had been on my PC desktop for about 2 years...:)
We needed a 2nd vehicle short notice so I talked my hubby into gettin the FZ1 because it was available to us immediately. He owned a GSF600 Bandit in Germany and wants to get another Bandit, which in the US they only sell the 1200 or 1250. But, the dealer is 1 hour away. If he likes the FZ1 after riding it for a while, he might keep it and I will get one for myself, but I do forsee him getting a bandit, because that is what he actually wants. To each their own... :yes:
So now we are lookng for riding groups, clubs in our area, so that we can find the nice roads in the US.
Mel

use the force and bend him to the darkside :starwars:

Welcome to the forum and commend YOU on your fine tastes with the FZ. I know that there are a few active members in the OH. area and surrounding area that are always looking to get out and about.

What brings you back to the US?

Adam

A really BIG welcome to both Melanie and Luke. Glad to have you both aboard with us. Hey Luke, feel free to post some pics of the bikes you have now. Nothing wrong with that. Same goesto Mel. We love seeing member's rides here on the site. Good luck to both of you with your bikes.

Back