So, update:

My mechanic picked up the bike today and it's at his shop now. I filed a claim with my insurance company and they called me back today to set something up and collect some details. Sounds like they will arrange to send a private appraiser to check the bike out.

Is that a submuffler?

The first photo shows one of the under tail cans & the crossover

Just an update:

My insurance company sent out an appraiser and he looked over the bike. He told me it is definitely not a total loss and will calculate the cost of the broken parts, my accessories and the labor. I suppose that should also mean adding the tow cost. Will update you when I know more.

My mechanic has started working on the bike, trying to figure out what's going on with the motor. He's gone through everything, checked the connections and swapped coils around and the lot. All signs point to the ECU. Strange.

I've found a used replacement locally and will pick it up on Tuesday. Hope that sorts me out.

Well, I'm back on the road. A replacement rear fender was installed and the misfire has been sorted. Two of the four wires from the engine stop relay to the coils were not getting connection. It has been bypassed and is running fine now. Glad to be back.

The weather has been tremendous and summer-like for almost a month already. I am on holiday starting Monday and it was originally going to be a bike trip with the girlfriend. With all the bike troubles, we opted to rent a car and go anyway. I guess I won't get much time on the bike until after our holiday. Works for me!

Just saw this Dustin. WOW! Darn lucky you didn't get shrapnel in the arse!

By any chance, did you put any extra heat shielding material in the area? Glad to hear you are back on two!

Just saw this Dustin. WOW! Darn lucky you didn't get shrapnel in the arse!

By any chance, did you put any extra heat shielding material in the area? Glad to hear you are back on two!

No extra heat shields but it does have quite a lot already. I am starting to wonder if I simply had a broken or frayed wire in there that caused a fire. It's so hard to know.

And do you still keep the CO2 canisters (auto extinguishers) under the seat?

I will definitely get a replacement tire repair kit and put it in the same place! Haha

Back