It Finally Happened!

billy sorry to hear about your troubles,glad to hear damage to you and bike was not catastrophic.i only hope the liar can get to feel what it is like to be thrown to the pavement!keep on,and check your rear wheel for hairline cracks!!

Hey Billy, Good luck with your accident.

Did the other driver say where you hit them? If they did, do they have damage to their vehicle to prove that you hit them?

Holy Crap Billy!!! I'm just seeing this thread tonight. This totally sucks and I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through all this BS!

But I'm also glad to hear you're not permanently injured. Heal quickly and get that lawyer gong doing his job. Best of luck with all of this.

Steve

Billy, thanks for the call back last night/voicemail. I zonked out early yesterday. Glad you're getting better. I agree with you and Eric regarding the lawyer to sort things out and yes, it would be great to have the lawyer get a first hand account from the officer that took the report. I don't believe you hit this guy, one, because we're pals and I'll believe anything you tell me, and two, because he'd be trying to get you to pay for damage to his car if he really believed you were totally at fault. As others have said, there are surveillance cameras all over these days, especially at busy intersections. Hopefully there was one at your site that can be removed. No matter what happens Billy, focus on the fact that you're still with us, strong as ever, and around to continue to be the great dad you have been to Richie. So in one way of looking at it, Karma did look after you.

Billy I just saw the post. Damn glad to see your ok and the bike is not trashed. I hope you take a HUGE bite outa there a$$$. Good luck!!

Well, I spoke this morning to not one but two of the most well known law firms dealing with motorcycle accidents. Of course they both told me the same thing, I haven't got a case! It seems that in NY if you have only liabilty insurance on a motorcycle it only covers the medical expenses for the other party in the event you hit them. I basically am covered for absolutely nothing. Because I have no witnesses on my behalf, no attorney will take my case. I understand where they are coming from but it just sucks! I'm really tired today and just want to be able to sit and not think about this crap. In NY your basically at the mercy of these creeps due to insurance regulations and poor police work. I'm just going to fix my bike and tell the hospital to take a number and get on line and just maybe in 1000 years I'll be able to pay you.

so unless you have full coverage -- which is cost prohibitive in some instances -- you are S.O.L!

That just plain sucks......no ifs/ands/buts about it.....

can't you yourself get to court and dispute the police report? Or am I mislead by the many US lawyerseries on tv?
If your insurance does not cover this, do they not have a legal support to defend you on this? at least the medical costs.
I guess you can clearly demonstrate by the damage and injuries already on its own that you are the victim here.

Billy:

I just saw this today! I've rarely been on the forum lately. I'm so sorry to hear about your incident.

Please take the time to make sure you (your body) is okay. You have a lifetime to repair the bike.

Sorry to find this so late, but I'm happy that I could see the result is that you're doing well.

If there's anytthing I can do, let me know.

Brian

Also, do you have personal health insurance? You can submit the claim to it for the hospital bill. There are all kinds of "Primary" and Secondary options. You may even be able to ask your homeowner's insurance if you carry it to cover a portion of it.

Let me know how this works out.

Just so you know, I also do a "Karmic Repair" almost every day. You will be well because of the choices you've made, I believe that 100 percent.

You just may have received it already by not being seriously injured from the impact. Losing consciousness is a big deal! If you are well, you're already being repaid. Continue on the right path, and people like Alan from the other site and those here wanting to assist you will present themselves.

Anything I can do, just let me know. If you simply need someone to talk to, or turn a wrench for you, I'll drive up.

This can happen to any of us, anytime.

You are well, and that's all that matters. I am available anytime if you need assistance.

Keep your head about you, and don't lose site of what's truly important. Money comes and goes, bikes get repaired, but you still being around and functional is all that is important. I know it's a cliche, but think about it.

How would you have handled it if you weren't the one in the bed but the one looking at someone you cared for in the hospital? That's how they felt about you. You have succeeded already by being well, which is all that matters to the people who care for you and rely upon your direction, like your son.

Be well.

Brian

Billy,
I've been out of town myself so 'm just getting up to date on this thing. I believe, due to the looks of your vehicle, although we haven't seen the other vehicle, you should have a pretty good case against the other driver. You might be better off to get a lawyer sho handles regular liability cases on a contingency basis. A lot of times they are slippery but they tend to "shotgun" a lot of cases, hopeing they win a few. You don't owe them a penny unless you win and then it will be on a percentage basis. A lot of times, the other insured party's insurance company will pay off because it's cheaper than fighting it seeing how it's not only your vehicle, but your body that got screwed up, they might be willing to caugh up some money just to be done with it. I know, I've been on both sides of that fence. It's a bitch that your own insurance company won't go to bat for you, but they have an out due to your PL/PD coverage. If you had full coverage, believe me, they'd be all over the other driver. At least talk to someone, even if it's a slip and fall lawyer. I think you'll be glad you did. Also to everyone else, Billy's situation is the same as in most states, carry PL/PD and the insured is basicaly uninsured himself.

Thanks Guys! I'm off tomorrow, so after I go pick up my new helmet I'll come home and make some more phone calls. The two firms I called were contingency lawyers specializing in motorcycle accidents. I never told the second firm what the first one had told me just to see what they would say, and both times it was the same story. Had just one person taken a few minutes out of their day to help out someone in need the case would already be rolling. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I get lucky. I even told the both of them that I have photos of the bike showing no damage whatsoever to anything in the front, rear, or entire right side of the bike. The only damage is to the left side just in front of my footpeg. I explained that all my injuries are exclusively on my left side. Still they told me they wouldn't even touch the case. Imagine that! An accident attorney who doesn't want a case. I guess if it's not cut and dry they don't want to be bothered. The best part is that they claim they are both "Not only lawyers, but riders themselves". What a load of crap! I'll see what happens tomorrow as I am so tired of thinking about this for one day and need to relax and think about getting on the road again. Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

I just spoke with yet another attorney from 1-800-MOTORCYCLE. He was by far the only one that had a glimmer of hope. I have already printed a bunch of flyers asking for anyone that witnessed the accident and would like to help to call me. I am going to hang them all over the intersection and hope that someone who saw what happened and just couldn't stop, will come forward and call. According to the lawyer, it's my best (and only) chance to get things to a point where they can pursue a case for me. So I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what turns up. The time frame in NY for making a case like this is 2 years. We'll see what happens.

fingers crossed someone is willing to standup and report as a witness in your defense....
On another note, I'm expecting a small camera for over little than 20$ and the size of an average garagedoor opener. Once in my possession, I'll test it out and let you know how/where this can be found. (I've ordered it through a friend's friend) This might be a good insurance in filming your rides...

Well, Richie and I drove out to Cyclegear to unfortunately take advantage of the sale they had on Shoei RF1000's. Regular price was $479.95 on sale for
$269.95 I guess that it's the best time to jump on this sale. As always, the staff over there, Greg and Gabriel, were top notch, and fitted me with a great helmet. Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

It's a beautiful helmet with great fitment and great graphics. The Arai that I had wanted originally was gone so in terms of fitting my "watermelon" shaped head, this was the next best thing. They had many less expensive helmets on sale but I kept going back to this one so after about 30 minutes I decided on the Shoei. Hopefully I'll get 1000's of safe, incident free miles out of it!

It's down to the handlebars and ends which are coming to me UPS tomorrow, as well as my new Mesh Draft Air Jacket and the new grips which Tony will be bringing with him to bike night this evening, followed by the turn signals which I'll pick up once Spydar gets back home this weekend. That will at least get me back on the road. The guys at Cyclegear gave me a great idea while I was there. They told me that many guys they know there in Jersey that use their bikes for commuting back and forth to work, always take their GoPro mounted to their helmets and record the commute. If nothing happens they simple erase the video. That is a great idea and I will start doing that from now on so that in the event this ever happens again, I'll have the entire thing documented on video. Even if the camera was to break on impact it will still have the memory card. Great idea on their part.

Back