It Finally Happened!

Sorry about your incident brother, but glad you're doing ok. I really do hope someone saw what happened or it'll be tough especially if the car/van/ dog / whatever it was is unavailable. Surveilance is ur friend, hope a nearby building has it.

I feel you with ins, I'm just like you and only have liability since I have no leinholder on mine. Only problem with that is if it's my fault, I'm fixing my own bike without ins help. Take the time to recover bro, adrenaline might be preventing you from feeling the pain now, but it may set in later.

I want to personally thank all the "well wishers" here on the site for their concerns and well wishes. Okay, here's the run down short and simple:

Riding home from work on a route that I take whenever there is a jam-up on the Parkway. It's one really long road (Williamsbridge Road) and goes all the way from my job to within 6 or so blocks from my house. I have ridden this route 100's of times before. Coming up to Pelham Parkway (10 lanes total/ 2 lane service road / 3 lane main section / 3 lane main section / 2 lane service road). Just as I got up to Pelham Parkway the light was red with one car in front of me. As soon as I put my foot down the light was green as were all the lights going my direction. I moved to the right lane and made it to the center 3 lanes and that was it. The next thing I know I have a bunch of doctors around me with needles in my arms. I have no recollection of any accident or impact at all. I know for sure that I had green lights all the way across. I went and got the bike today and rode it home with Richie following in my car. The bike is home safe and sound with some damage which I will post as soon as I get home. Thats right, I went to work today at 11:00am so that my buddy Sal could go home as it was his day off and he went in to cover me. I will post the long awaited pics when I get home. I definitely need and set of handlebars and a new fairing for the left side. My levers are on their way so thats taken care of already. Other than that I'm good to go!

:wow: :woot: :sport12:

So the damage is minimal? You must have got tossed at low speed and just landed on your head and got knocked out?

Triple check everything Billy. Make sure the frame and subframe are all intact and not askew. This is awesome news if the fix is just a few parts. The fact that you drove it home is just awesome!

What about the police report? Any word on that and what it contains?

Thanks for the update!!!

:wow: :woot: :sport12:

So the damage is minimal? You must have got tossed at low speed and just landed on your head and got knocked out?

Triple check everything Billy. Make sure the frame and subframe are all intact and not askew. This is awesome news if the fix is just a few parts. The fact that you drove it home is just awesome!

What about the police report? Any word on that and what it contains?

Thanks for the update!!!

Preliminary reports looks as though everything is good mechanically on the bike. Aside from the handlebars and clutch lever it's only cosmetic damage believe it or not. I was shocked to see the bike. I didn't even break a mirror! Go figure! So, I remove the fairing and go naked for a while until I find a new one and change the handlebars (which I was going to do anyway), and the left side turn signal. Thats pretty much it. I must have just landed on the ol noggin and knocked myself out even though it wasn't a big collison. Lucky me! Pics coming soon. I'll be out of work in 20 minutes!

Billy Billy Billy Billy.

First.... I'm glad you're ok.... watch out for those crazy New Yorkers....

The bike can always be fixed... You'll be amazed at how cheap the front fairing is... especially if you leave the factory stickers off of it (those things are EXPENSIVE) ...

Take look at the Fairing Stay Bracket, and make sure it's straight... i's a lot easier to do any bending that needs to be done to it before you put the new fairing on...

If you need any help piecing her back together... let us know... I'm sure many of us have plenty of extra parts lying around...

Billy Billy Billy Billy.

First.... I'm glad you're ok.... watch out for those crazy New Yorkers....

The bike can always be fixed... You'll be amazed at how cheap the front fairing is... especially if you leave the factory stickers off of it (those things are EXPENSIVE) ...

Take look at the Fairing Stay Bracket, and make sure it's straight... i's a lot easier to do any bending that needs to be done to it before you put the new fairing on...

If you need any help piecing her back together... let us know... I'm sure many of us have plenty of extra parts lying around...

Thanks Aaron! Appreciate it. Tomorrow I will take a good look at everything and make a list of what I need. At first glance it just looks like bars ( which I was going to change to stockers anyway) and levers which are in the mail already. Oh and left turn signal as well. Other than that the bike actually rode and tracked straight as an arrow on the way home without any leaks. Well, I'm leaving work now, Yipee!!! I'll see you guys when I get home. Eric, I will call you in a little while buddy!

Hey Billy, sorry to hear about this accident. So glad that you're pretty much OK. The minimal damage to the bike is a bonus. Keep all of your receipts and track your time with the installation in case you need it for the insurance settlement. I have to stay on hyper-alert every time I ride or drive in or around NYC. It's just a different mentality you guys drive with over there! I hope they get the a-hole that hit you if indeed that's what happened.

-Josh

Holly COW!! I just read through this thread and Buddy I cant tell you how pleasing it is to hear the out come of this event. First and formost thank God your doing fine.

Please rest up. Who knows how you might feel in a day or two. Take care.

Dont forget to thank your Angel tonight for "breaking your fall". These stories are far to often told by others about someone. You are truely blessed to be the one telling it today.

Accident Outcome Pics

No narration needed. Just take a look as it's pretty self explainitory. Thanks.

Elbow
IMG_0299.jpg

Shoulder
IMG_0287-1.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291-1.jpg

IMG_0292-1.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294-1.jpg

Right side without a scratch!
IMG_0295-1.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

All levers are intact and untouched. Thats amazing. God was definitely looking out for me. I am very fortunate for sure!
IMG_0288-1.jpg

It is amazing that this is the outcome Billy. Glad to hear it. Thanks for calling and it was soooo great to hear your voice! :tup: It is hard for me to grasp how the damage is there and the mirror, shifter and footpeg are all intact!?!? Those are almost always the first things to hit/break. Did you see my links above for fairings?

I hope we all have an Angel like yours! :D Take care my friend! We love you Brother!!

Wow man, Im glad to see your ok. After reading about you not knowing what happened and how you got to the hospital it seemed a lot worse. Deff did alright bro, and its also an added bonus that the bike didnt take a big beating either!

Your health is obviously priority but since you were pretty much fine its deff a bonus you dont have to come up with a ton of cash to make your baby back to normal either!

Take care, hope your back to 100% asap!

Thanks Geno. I appreciate the sentiments from my whole family here. And to think we were just all talking about when Eric went down followed shortly by someone else who I can't remember at this point in time. I remember saying that I hope thats it for a while and Bammo! Look what happens. As one of those people who always felt it would not and could not happen to me, I just got a reality check for sure. I gotta say that one "getoff" in 33 years of riding, still keeps me ahead of the curve. I just wish that if we do actually have one or two falls embedded in our destiny, I wish they had happened when I was 25 years old so I could have recovered a little quicker! LOL! This 48 year old body dosen't enjoy rolling around on the pavement at all.:surrender:

Ah geez, dont let Richies mom know!!!:cuss:
I hope its not to late.

Too late brother! She was the one who was at the hospital with him. Don't ask why but the EMT's had said that at the scene I had mentioned my ex-wife and Richie. I have no recollection of any of this but the guy knew their names so I must had said it. The funny thing was that even in "dire straits" I still managed to call her the "EX-Wife". How funny is that! Well, needless to say I actually made her leave at 9pm. I couldn't take the BS anymore. She had my blood pressure up to 162/120! Once she left and it was just me and Richie, it went way down and I felt fine. She even had one of the doctors harping on me about riding the bike! I told the both of them that I would in no way stop riding and if I had to leave this earth in some manner or another, going out doing something that brings me so much joy would be an honor! I've never been afraid to die, only afraid to leave my loved ones behind without a chance to say good-bye. Biking is my life damn-it! Don't they understand that?! Who wouldn't want to be able to "go out" doing something they loved? Better than wasting away in some hospital bed with some disease killing you from the inside out, hooked up to some machines and crap!

Well, I guess thats enough of this thread. It's time to pick up the pieces and move on. Next is the rebuild thread. Just gotta get me some handlebars, left side turn signal, and later on a new set of fairings. My levers should be here any day now. It's not a big list by any means. Once the insurance guy comes and looks at the bike I will strip the fairing off and hang up the half in the garage as a momento of my first and hopefully last "get off"!

Back