It Finally Happened!

Hi Billy, glad you're ok and not tackled that bad. I'm really sorry you had to be the third in a row. Looks like the damage is not too bad....Take care now and rest well....

Actually Billy is the forth one I think? thewolftamer had her off a few weeks before I did. So, 2010 isn't a great year for FZ1 riders.... But, there have been several over on the FZ6 site and a couple on the FZ6R site. I guess it is just FZ#* then?

Ok... no more! Ride safe all!

NY, yours is Gen 1? If it's Gen 2 you could just have my stick signals..

Thanks Missy! The bike is a GenI but Spydar has contacted me and lives right across the bridge in Jersey and has some GenI signals that he will be parting with. I'm going to drive across the bridge to get them. Thanks so much for the offer. Now I just need the handlebars which I will probably just order from Partshark. The stock bars, which I now want to change over to, are just about 50 bucks. Thanks again!;)

A bunch of boxes came into work today and cheered me up a little. Call it premonition, but I had already ordered my shorty levers and look what happened! In any case I am that much closer to having the parts I need to fix her up. I only need some stock GenI handlebars. Thanks to both Spydar and Tony I have my turn signals and handlebar grips. Things are looking up. Without further hesitation, here is what arrived today............

Black 6 position "Shorty" levers. As others have said, they are definitely NOT cheesy at all. Nicely made and the quality is excellent.
IMG_0303-1.jpg

A surprise to most except Tony. My new GenII front calipers with brake pads and the "silver" discs. As most know I have on order a rebuild kit for my calipers but couldn't pass these up for 45 bucks for both!!!
IMG_0304-1.jpg

Now Tony, being a gearhead will appreciate this one. The first picture is the actual GM Bushing Removal Tool for my rear control arms that sells for 45 bucks on Ebay plus shipping.........
gm_upper_trailing_arm_bushing_install_and_removal_toolproducts589promo_pic.jpg

Now here is mine that a friend with a metal fab shop made for me using 1x1 solid stock, and machined the 1/2" hole. I sell at work the Grade 5 threaded rod and the Grade 8 nuts. Total cost ....Zip, Zero, Nada!!! He said it would be terrible to ask me to pay for something that took less than a foot of material and 5 minutes to slap together. Now thats a great guy!!
IMG_0302-1.jpg

So now as soon as I heal up, it's under the car to get everything bolted in for the Deals Gap Trip! My hitch arrived as well. All the pieces are coming together.

The "Shorties" are from Fire Dragon Brothers. I got the info from PapaGeno a couple of weeks ago. He bought the full size for his FZ and liked them. Now it may just be me, but I never was able to swallow the Pazzo price tag. I couldn't see paying that much money for a piece of aluminum. These were 35 dollars and 19.98 for shipping from China. Thats 55 bucks. Thats more in line from what I can tell. I have looked at them closely and there is nothing "cheesy" about these levers! Fit and finish is great, the adjustment lever is tight and has a very "positive" feel to it. Not something that was cheaply made. I would bet that many of those 180 dollar levers were probably made at a factory near this one anyway. If anyone wants the link I will be happy to post it here.

Oh, and the calipers? Do they bolt on from Gen I to II? That is such a great price for a pair if they just simply bolt up! :D Nice!

Although my mind has been cloudy the last couple of days, I'm almost sure that Tony had mentioned that they would bolt right in place so I should be good. Damn, I may have to just get some braided lines as well! I'm loving the silver discs!

Oh, and the calipers? Do they bolt on from Gen I to II? That is such a great price for a pair if they just simply bolt up! :D Nice!

Although my mind has been cloudy the last couple of days, I'm almost sure that Tony had mentioned that they would bolt right in place so I should be good. Damn, I may have to just get some braided lines as well! I'm loving the silver discs!

Believe or not Yamaha calipers are pretty much interchangeable between their sport bikes going all the way back to the late 80's (the exception being the newer radial mounted calipers). Of course no one wants the 80's calipers on their newer bikes, but the hot upgrade for the older sport bikes are the "blue" or "silver" spots. I even have a set of these Gen II FZ1 calipers on my 97 YZF1000 and they bolt right on so they will bolt right on to the Gen I bikes. Take a look below....same calipers in both cases ;) Oh and for $45 if Billy didn't want them I was going to buy them as spares!

2006 FZ1:
3549d1280020133-finally-happened-fz1_caliper.jpg

1997 YZF1000:
3550d1280020133-finally-happened-yzf_caliper.jpg

Last edited:
A bunch of boxes came into work today and cheered me up a little. Call it premonition, but I had already ordered my shorty levers and look what happened! In any case I am that much closer to having the parts I need to fix her up. I only need some stock GenI handlebars. Thanks to both Spydar and Tony I have my turn signals and handlebar grips. Things are looking up. Without further hesitation, here is what arrived today............

Black 6 position "Shorty" levers. As others have said, they are definitely NOT cheesy at all. Nicely made and the quality is excellent.
IMG_0303-1.jpg

Wow Billy, I like those levers! I was going to buy Pazzo's but their $229 over here. So I saw a long set on ebay that I like. and their only $30usd too. Might grab them :)

Wow Billy, I like those levers! I was going to buy Pazzo's but their $229 over here. So I saw a long set on ebay that I like. and their only $30usd too. Might grab them :)

Scotty just make sure that they are Gen II specific. The clutch levers are the same between both generations, but the brake levers are different. Don't know what the difference is exactly...

Back