It Finally Happened!

It started out as a normal ride home and then I woke up in the hospital. I only remember the green light for me and then waking up in the hospital. Not sure about the bike or how I'm gonna get it home. I hurt my leg and shoulder
but am sore but okay. I will have to try and see the bike tomorrow if I am able to walk. It may be a total. I don't remember anything except the green light for me and then waking up in the hospital. I'm a little tire and have some road rash but I'm more worried about the bike since I don't have full coverage, only liabilty. I have to sleep so I will post up tomorrow. Good night guys. Not bad for 33 years of accident free riding and I'm still alive to talk about it! More tomorrow!:frown:

Damn Billy! I am so glad you came out with only a little rash and some bruises. Worrying about the bike will not change it's fate. Rest up for now buddy!

Please fill us in on what happened. No matter the circumstances I think we can all learn from each other's incidents.

Thanks everyone. I just woke up, which is a good thing I presume. I still have no recollection of the incident whatsoever. I feel a little better today but am sure that I'm going to be sick once I see the bike. I have absolutely no recolection of what happened yesterday other than crossing Pelham Parkway in the Bronx. The next thing I know I'm laying in the hospital with IV sticking in my arms and wondering what the hell happened. I'm feeling better this morning and can actually walk much better today. Now the fun starts, insurance, accident reports, storage fees, figuring out what to do with the bike, etc. I know I should be grateful to even be here and be able to wake up and see my son who stayed with me the entire time yesterday. What a bitch that this had to happen now, or ever for that matter. I'm going to call Geico and find out the procedure as to what happens now, as well as drive over to the lot where the bike is and see just whats up with it and whether I can get it home or not. I guess I should be happy that I'm alive and that I have awoke to see my son again. It could have been worse. Bikes can be fixed but my 48 year old body is a different story. I consider myself lucky today. The only good thing I have going is that I do remember that my light was green and that I wasn't speeding or anything when I rode past that intersection. Anyway, we shall see. I have to call the insurance company and find out the procedure as well as police reports and all that good stuff. This is my first accident in 33 years of riding so I guess thats not a bad ratio. I will keep everyone informed with updates later. I just want to see the bike and at least get it home first. Thanks for all the wishes, it's truly appreciated.:)

That's terrible! I'm glad you're OK but that sucks. I hope they know who hit you so that they can be penalized is some fashion. It won't fix you or the bike, but it's a start. I'm anxious to see how the bike came out of all this.

First of all...glad you came through this OK!

Second...do you know yet if it was a car that got ya???

Third...Get a lawyer!

I've been hit twice by cars, the first time nearly killed me. The second time was not as bad.

If you're going up against another insurance company, they'll try to lowball ya on the bike. It's not just the bike. You also have all your riding gear, lost wages, pain & suffering, medical $$, etc.

If the accident was not your fault, don't worry about the bike and stuff-the other insurance company is now obligated to you.

You're gonna be sore mo'fo' today, so take it easy, brutha.

Billy glad to hear that you're feeling better today. Hopefully the police caught the guy that hit you and have some witnesses. Only reason I say this is that it's always tough to prove who's at fault at a traffic light. Unless there are witnesses it's your word against the other driver and you just may have to get a lawyer like somebody else suggested. If this had happened at a stop sign then there wouldn't be any question of fault since it's pretty cut and dry...person with the stop sign is supposed to stop. Anyway hopefully the damage to the bike is not that bad. I will call you later...

Thanks T, I actually am up and about calling Geico and the towing company to make my plan of attack today. The guy where the bike is won't be there until 9am. Luckily the Precinct and the tow company are about 5 minutes from my house and actually across from each other literally one block from the accident site. Thats good since the mileage on the tow ticket is zero. I just have to find out if it's rideable. With the bruises I have or lack thereof, I'm hoping the bike faired as well as I did. I called the tow agency but he wasn't sure of the condition. I called Geico and took care of all that stuff and now I just have to get a money order for the police report. I'll be back on later with updates and some pictures. Thanks for all the Well Wishes! I'm really physically okay so thats half the battle. I just have some bumps and bruises but am doing okay. Happy to be alive this morning for sure!

Jeeeez! Billy! I am SOOOO sorry to hear about this! I did not see anything until this morning. I went to bed just before the PM from Tony (Thank you Tony!!!)

Whatever is wrong with the bike doesn't matter at this point. What matters is YOU and that you are walking and talking about this! The bike can be fixed or replaced. Thank GOD you are not seriously injured!

I'll call you later! Mend buddy!

-Eric

Thanks my friend. I'm going to walk up the avenue now to get a money order for the police report and then at 9am I'm going to grab Richie and the camera and go to see about getting the bike home. It's only about 2 miles from here. I may just have it towed. I'll keep you informed. I'm okay, just some minor briuses. The helmet did it's job and protected my noggin! Thanks again!:Rockon:

Billy, when ya take a look and see what ya need, holler, I have some stock stuff takin up space in my shed, if I have something to help ya out lemme know!

Ok Billy. After getting the police report, ask about traffic surveillance cameras in that intersection and footage for the time of the accident. If they resist, get a lawyer and have the lawyer request it. Also, check with all the area buildings at the intersection and the scene of the accident and see if they have any security cameras that face the road/intersection and ask them for footage of the time stamp or at lease a chance to view it. Resistance? Lawyer!

I'm very curious about both the police report and the condition of the bike. It would be great to hear that there were witnesses who gave a statement and hopefully all in your favor.

I sincerely hope this all comes back in your favor! :tup:

BTW, what did the EX say? And did she rub it in about getting rid of Richie's bike? :rant:

Very sad news. I don’t know you, but have come to like you from reading so many of your post. I’m glad you are OK, and hope you are able to locate witnesses, and find out who hit you. Take care Billy.

So glad you're still here to tell us about it!! It could have been worse, right? Anyway thank God for our Guardian Angels! And keep the Advil close by today.

Billy,
Too bad about the accident but good that you made it through it in relatively good shape. You are a fine example of the old addage, " there are two types of bikers, those that have been down and those who will be going down. It's simply a fact of being a motorcyclist. I was recently on a trip to Rhinebeck for the Super meet and on our way back the guy with me dropped his Goldwing in the middle of a mud puddle in a dirt parking lot. Lost his footing on an enever area. No big deal, but it took both of us to get the bike righted. He was an MSF instructor so anyone and everyone can have any kind of accident.

Sad news mate, but very relieved to hear you're OK.

+1 on checking for cameras. They spend your hard earned dollars putting them up around the place, so you might as well get some benefit from them....even if it's just finding out WTF happened.

Back