• Shark

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nolan

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really think the bottom line on this helmet thing is the concept of a price point. I, for one, unless shown irrefutable proof that their can be a helmet worth say over $400, for any reason, believe that helmets over that amount are simply ridiculous.

I have had a variety of helmets even helmets we fortified ourselves in the old days and they have all served me well in a variety of crashes. I feel that a hard enough hit on your head, that shakes the brain, can have varying degrees of detrimental effect. Hell, their is a lot of talk about this in football right now and those guys don't end up with busted helmets like we do.

The problem with helmets and crashes is simply --- it becomes a very personal thing. Some of us can take bigger hits than others or not take certain hits. The problem is --- we don't know what that is until it happens.

Therefore, why waste the big bucks unless you have a special head that really feels better in a certain helmet. I have a round head and it seems to fit in any helmet plus my price point is $250 max. However, that's retail and I usually buy sales. :)

Nice points.
I have about a 250.00 price cap as well.
Helmets save lives period. There is not enough data to confirm that a 500.00 hat would have saved the life better thatn the lowest priced DOT approved.
It is ok to say your buying into quality and cosmetics.
Not one real cent made it safer according to statistics.

Only 5% of the people who died in a motorcycle crash where the ruling of death was head injury was wearing a helmet. And Of that 5% the facts showed that even if they didnt die from head injury they might possibly still have died due to all of the other body trauma they had.

S0 No mater the cost, As long as the hat is at least DOT approved your most likely NOT going to die from head injury alone.

As for what people spend for hat I really dont care. I know some just want a cool match to thier bike color or a design that speeks of them.

There are a lot of cool helmets out there.:2cents:

It took months for me to realize the HJC I bought last year was not the helmet for me. :surrender: I got an Xpeed xf706 phoenix on closeout from competiton accessories delivered today. That helmet is perfect for me. :yes: It's very light and doesn't block my vision anywhere. I only got to ride a few minutes in it but I knew it was right when I got to the stop sign about 1500 feet from my driveway!

This is my first non solid helmet so I'll have to get used to graphics but since I can't see the graphics when I'm riding and it feels so good, I'm sure it won't take long!

without the flash:
GEDC0022.JPG

With the flash:
GEDC0021.JPG

A few more:
GEDC0026.JPG

GEDC0028.JPG

Soooo, anybody want a slightly used :shine: yellow hjc? You pay shipping and will get 2 smoke shields plus the clear thrown in!

I payed $300 to the door for my Shoei X-ll, well worth it. If I didn't find that deal? Shoei rf1000 on closeout for even less. Tried lots of helmets, but I like theirs the best. FWIW, I never pay full msrp, I always wait for a closeout or super deal.... just like any other helmet if I crash it's getting tossed, but up to that point, I know what I enjoy wearing the most.

One reason for having purchased the X-ll: airflow. In the summer, with all the vents open, I have never worn a helmet that flowed as much air. So if the question is "Helmet, What do You Wear?" , I will list the X-ll for this reason. The fit-and-finish is awesome, so I dig it :cowboy:.

SHOEI forever!!

Since I was a childe,my favorite helmet was shoei! The helmet of the best drivers and of mine in particoular..Wayne Raney..
So on my "bike's arsenal" a shoei helmet is always present!
at the moment a Raid II,but I'm going to change the Agv gp pro used on tracks,for a XR-1100..AMAZING!!

I still have the Nolan N100 as in my previous post in this thread, and my wife had a Shoei RF-200, both solid black.

We both just picked up a Shoei RF-1100. If you're interested, here's a thread I have about them and what shields we want for them.

I got the Diabolic Revelation TC-5
RF-1100-Diabolic-Re-TC-5.jpg
RF-1100-Diabolic-Re-TC-5rear.jpg

and my wife got the Diabolic Divinity TC-6
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6.jpg
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6-rear.jpg

I've only had a chance to ride with mine a couple of short times in cool weather (no pin-lock, too much fogging) but great venting. I could easily feel the cold air on the top of my head.

My wife hasn't had a chance to ride with her's yet. We have a pin-lock visor with clear and amber inserts that should be here in a couple days. It will be nice to be able to share visors.

I have a size small Scorpion EX0-400 Tribal (blue). Previously, I had a GMAX, I bought a large. I bought the GMAX much too large (first helmet). The Scorpion fits much better.

I am in the market for a new helmet and was very intrigued by my cousin's HJC modular (Bluetooth capable). I am not that familiar with the modulars, but it looks well made, has a removable and washable liner (important for makeup removal, lol), has several vents and flip-down sunglasses. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar modular, and if so, what do you think? Is there a reason not to get a modular (I will only be street-riding, not on the track).

Also, I have a long and narrow head -- is there a good recommendation for the best brand/model of helmet to fit?

Thanks! :)

I am in the market for a new helmet and was very intrigued by my cousin's HJC modular (Bluetooth capable). I am not that familiar with the modulars, but it looks well made, has a removable and washable liner (important for makeup removal, lol), has several vents and flip-down sunglasses. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar modular, and if so, what do you think? Is there a reason not to get a modular (I will only be street-riding, not on the track).

Also, I have a long and narrow head -- is there a good recommendation for the best brand/model of helmet to fit?

Thanks! :)

Modulars tend to be heavier than standard full face, but they are very convienient. Shoei and Arai should be good bets for your head shape (if I read your description correctly). PappaGeno has experience with that helmet, I'm sure he will pipe in.
The best helmet is the one that fits you the best, period.:cheers:

Back