• Shark

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nolan

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to wear a Bell Moto 4 when I had my XT350 back in 1986-sometime in the 90's. Several years ago I got a Nolan N100E Classic in matalic gloss black or maybe a previous version of it. Mine looks exactally like it. (but I must have bought mine before it was 'classic')

n100eClassicBk.jpg

The Bell Moto 4 I had was white with a huge red visor and red decals near the bottom on each side. It had one of the greatest bug strainers ever. It was a bit like a juicer for bugs. I wore motocross goggles with it.

I couldn't find very good pictures of the moto 4, but it's the bottom right corner, upside down in one of those attached pics.

I really like my Nolan modular, but I think I'm ready for a new helmet, and I can't decide between modular again or a solid full face. I'm leaning toward a Shoei full face, but I'm still looking at some of the Nolan modular and even a few Bell full face.

BD, I have the same Nolan N100. Also got it before it became a classic.

When I picked up my FZ, I decided to get something more appropriate in the form of a full face and picked up an HJC. Nice helmet but am having a bit of trouble getting used to the restrictions. I had forgotten that when your nose starts running due to cold weather, you can't conveniently flip the chin bar out of your way and take care of things. I find this to be a major inconvenience. So will go back to modular, probably in the form of the N90.

Dave

BD, I have the same Nolan N100. Also got it before it became a classic.

When I picked up my FZ, I decided to get something more appropriate in the form of a full face and picked up an HJC. Nice helmet but am having a bit of trouble getting used to the restrictions. I had forgotten that when your nose starts running due to cold weather, you can't conveniently flip the chin bar out of your way and take care of things. I find this to be a major inconvenience. So will go back to modular, probably in the form of the N90.

Dave

Yeah, I'm with you. :ditto: I'm strongly leaning toward another modular, and most likely the Nolan N90, same as you. I'd really consider the Shoei modular, but I don't like the fact it has no rear vents. My main gripe with the Nolan N100 is poor venting, and it has no rear vent either. Actually it has ok venting for my face, but the rest of my head, not so much.

My other gripe with modulars, in general, is they are almost exclusively solid colors :tdown:

On buying helmets, fit is paramount. As a loose helmet will not perform to its full potential.

Before parting with your hard earned, try as many different makes as you can. Shoe helmets suit a different shape head to Arai.

Trust me getting £300 worth of helmet stuck on my head in the middle of a shop was amusing right until I suggested the shop manager get the emergency services or a hacksaw to remove it from my head

Me - Arai Quantum, & Arai RX7 GP. Arai helmets suit the shape of my head perfectly. With this and the quality of the helmet, only way to go.

Don't get persuaded by peer power.

You've only got one head - look after it

:cheers:

He he he, I'd have loved to have seen that...

On buying helmets, fit is paramount. As a loose helmet will not perform to its full potential.

Before parting with your hard earned, try as many different makes as you can. Shoe helmets suit a different shape head to Arai.

Trust me getting £300 worth of helmet stuck on my head in the middle of a shop was amusing right until I suggested the shop manager get the emergency services or a hacksaw to remove it from my head

Me - Arai Quantum, & Arai RX7 GP. Arai helmets suit the shape of my head perfectly. With this and the quality of the helmet, only way to go.

Don't get persuaded by peer power.

You've only got one head - look after it

:cheers:

Yeah, my youngest daughter, who was with me at the time, still lists it as one of her all time funny moments. Pity she didn't have her camera phone with her at the time.

The shop manager always steers me away from his helmet stand whenever I go in that shop now.

Ha Ha Ha

: oops:

I just had an extremely hard high side and came don on the side of my head then my shoulder to start the tumbling. I was wearing a Scorpian EXO700 and couldn't be more pleased with the way it took the hit.

Just an informational post.

I just had an extremely hard high side and came don on the side of my head then my shoulder to start the tumbling. I was wearing a Scorpian EXO700 and couldn't be more pleased with the way it took the hit.

Just an informational post.

Hey Joe, I too hit the ground with my EXO 700, just not as hard as you. It held up fine. I think the Scorpion helmets are a great deal for the money.

Hey Joe, I too hit the ground with my EXO 700, just not as hard as you. It held up fine. I think the Scorpion helmets are a great deal for the money.

How you doin man? Got your bike all back together? I still haven't had the insurance company pick up the crashed bike. I'm taking everything off of it and transferring it to another 2002 since they won't give me anything for the parts.

I think Dairyland has had a change in attitudes or maybe it's only to me since I've totaled 3 bikes with them now. My renewal was this month and they dropped my annual price to $170 for full coverage on the FZ and liability on the Magna. It's hard for me to complain. :)

How you doin man? Got your bike all back together? I still haven't had the insurance company pick up the crashed bike. I'm taking everything off of it and transferring it to another 2002 since they won't give me anything for the parts.

I think Dairyland has had a change in attitudes or maybe it's only to me since I've totaled 3 bikes with them now. My renewal was this month and they dropped my annual price to $170 for full coverage on the FZ and liability on the Magna. It's hard for me to complain. :)

Doing good Joe. Bike is all back together. Insurance took care of everything so I can't really complain too much. I went with the full fairings to try something new. You can see a picture of what it looks like now in my avatar.

And yea at $170 don't complain...lol. Riding is pretty much done for me up here as it's starting to get too cold. I will be winterizing the bikes this weekend.

Doing good Joe. Bike is all back together. Insurance took care of everything so I can't really complain too much. I went with the full fairings to try something new. You can see a picture of what it looks like now in my avatar.

And yea at $170 don't complain...lol. Riding is pretty much done for me up here as it's starting to get too cold. I will be winterizing the bikes this weekend.

Man --- it would suck to be where you are!! hehehe It's only getting up to 56 today --- which is still nice riding weather.

Your bike looks great --- I like the lowers on the Gen II --- they're cool.

I wear Shoei, thats what the last three helmets have been (also ran one years ago, in the dirt-bike days).

I don't think any helmet nails top-of-the line quality, fit, and finish at a reasonable price-point as well as Shoei does. Every bit as good as Arai but for a little less. If my head was shaped differently I would opt for Arai, but I fit the Shoei profile spot on. The interior in Shoei helmets hold up very well IMO too.

Posting up my KBC Freeze.
It is a Modular nothing fancy. I really liked the Satin finish witht eh pinstripes.
Feels good. Not the best hat Ive had but is my favorite.
100_0793.jpg

I really think the bottom line on this helmet thing is the concept of a price point. I, for one, unless shown irrefutable proof that their can be a helmet worth say over $400, for any reason, believe that helmets over that amount are simply ridiculous.

I have had a variety of helmets even helmets we fortified ourselves in the old days and they have all served me well in a variety of crashes. I feel that a hard enough hit on your head, that shakes the brain, can have varying degrees of detrimental effect. Hell, their is a lot of talk about this in football right now and those guys don't end up with busted helmets like we do.

The problem with helmets and crashes is simply --- it becomes a very personal thing. Some of us can take bigger hits than others or not take certain hits. The problem is --- we don't know what that is until it happens.

Therefore, why waste the big bucks unless you have a special head that really feels better in a certain helmet. I have a round head and it seems to fit in any helmet plus my price point is $250 max. However, that's retail and I usually buy sales. :)

Back