Dustin's Official 2014 Trip Report Thread

Yep

That is Dustin's friend, Peter's bike.
(I thought I'd go ahead and tell ya since D is somewhere in NM)

Put 2 & 2 together after reading your other post. :cheerleader: Now he is near Bloomfield, NM, and should be on 550 southbound soon if he is heading to Albuquerque.

Last edited:
I'm in Albuquerque! Another solid day and nearly to Texas! Tomorrow and Thursday will be two short days, sub-400 miles. Two relaxing days and then time for MotoGP!

Photos incoming...

Various photos from Utah
imZ5mdzl.jpg

VlknMGTl.jpg

Z9VGtAKl.jpg

Arches National Park
v51E9p8l.jpg

SWEGKdHl.jpg

Abru4mVl.jpg

Colorado as seen from Moab!
jMeEV4Ll.jpg

Various rocks!
gU6wJRdl.jpg

Ic4eDRvl.jpg

NmQ46k7l.jpg

YtK2Jdyl.jpg

Xt45q2Bl.jpg

It's only about a 2 and a half hour jump for me, so lemme know!

I am going to try to meet him out there Friday. Just need to make some excuse to work out of the Austin office.

So I will be in Austin well before supper on Thursday and would love to meet up then or Friday. Let's get some coffee or lunch or whatever. I am planning to check out some of the funky restaurants in Austin and I could use a hair cut as well!

Message me here or call/text at 415-691-0988

So I will be in Austin well before supper on Thursday and would love to meet up then or Friday. Let's get some coffee or lunch or whatever. I am planning to check out some of the funky restaurants in Austin and I could use a hair cut as well!

This may actually work out! The wife works Friday, so I won't be missed much if I sneak out and run up there early. Lunch sounds like a decent idea. I am off duty at 6:30 AM on Friday and would probably try to ride up as early as I can to facilitate coming back home before too much 5:00 traffic builds up. It may not work out that way but that's my idea, lol!

I asked a friend to ride up with me, but he probably won't be able to get off.

Hail, what are you plans?

We're counting on you boys to post up plenty of Texas umbrella girls pictures!

Brenda, of course this will all be in the name of fashion only. :innocent:

Last edited:

Man, that is a lot of highway miles in a short period of time. A tip of the hat to you, I did that kind of stuff when I was younger. Now I'm a wuss.

I think you said you were going to Carlsbad Caverns, NM on Wednesday, and then to Austin on Thursday. That's 750 total miles of some of the most flat, boring roads in the US so your scenic days are over. You will lose an hour on Thursday so keep that in mind for your calculation for arrival time. I would assume a SOLID eight hours in the saddle on Thursday if you are coming from Carlsbad Caverns, and depending on what time you hit Austin traffic maybe a bit more.

At least you will have about 215 miles on I-10 in west Texas where you can sail along at 80-85 mph with no problems (Fort Stockton to Exit 477).

Anyway, having fun watching your progress. Stay safe and don't let any aliens grab you on your way through Roswell, NM.

Last edited:
I actually decided to skip the Roswell and Carlsbad stuff and make the next two days much shorter. I'll be heading to Lubbock today and then Austin tomorrow. Each day will be maybe 350 miles. That'll be a welcome break

I actually decided to skip the Roswell and Carlsbad stuff and make the next two days much shorter. I'll be heading to Lubbock today and then Austin tomorrow. Each day will be maybe 350 miles. That'll be a welcome break

Probably wise.....roads won't be quite as speedy but terrain a bit more friendly and interesting. Stay safe.

Ok, I am all set to be working out of the Austin office on Friday. Weather looks like it will be nice so I will take the Tiger. What kind of food are you in the mood for? I will be under a little pressure for time so I am hoping you can meet in the downtown area off 6th street.

Uhhhggg! That ride to and out of Lubbock is so mind numbingly boring. As long as you are there see if you can go view some prarie dogs. Google it....

To bad you are missing Carlsbad. It is really cool. You can walk down as deep as my office building is tall. 75 stories!

Last edited:
Well that was exhausting! Nobody told me about the massive dust storms! And it was 85 nearly today as well, off goes my wool layers

We're in Lubbock tonight and off to Austin tomorrow

You're getting closer! But man... 5000 miles of highway in a very short period of time! I would say "ah, to be young again" but I'm only 32.

I ride 3000 miles a month of canyon riding (live in Colorado) and most people would say "that's a lot" but damn!

I can't think of a better way to see the country though! I like to check your spotwalla map when I get home in the evening to see how far you've made it so far.

Well, there is an easy explanation for all the hot air and wind in TX these days. Obama, GW Bush, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter are in Austin to speak at the LBJ library regarding the 50th anniversary of Civil Rights legislation. When you get that much blathering going on from US presidents the wind tends to pick up.

Well, there is an easy explanation for all the hot air and wind in TX these days. Obama, GW Bush, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter are in Austin to speak at the LBJ library regarding the 50th anniversary of Civil Rights legislation. When you get that much blathering going on from US presidents the wind tends to pick up.

Best post of the year!!!!!!!!!

Back