What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

So today the 919 got its post-trip cleanup.

I cleaned it top to bottom, clayed the paint, waxed it, conditioned the Corbin seat, changed the oil, put a new bulb in the headlight, lubed the throttle and clutch cables, changed the rear brake pads, did the chain and applied a clear tank protector

Ready for another adventure!

So today the 919 got its post-trip cleanup.

I cleaned it top to bottom, clayed the paint, waxed it, conditioned the Corbin seat, changed the oil, put a new bulb in the headlight, lubed the throttle and clutch cables, changed the rear brake pads, did the chain and applied a clear tank protector

Ready for another adventure!

I'm not sure what you mean by "clayed the paint" :dontknow:

Did you use the EZ Glider cable lubers? I still have a set of those I need to use! I need to take the weekend and clean the FZ1 and Ninja two fiddy from top to bottom.

I used something called a clay bar which is just as it sounds--a bar of clay. It's specially designed to pick up all the little bits of yuck and muck in the paint and leaves it smooth as glass. You wet the surface with water or a lubricating spray and gently rub a flattened, softened hunk of this clay across the surface until it looks, feels and sounds smooth. It's awesome stuff

Yup! I used the EZ Glider kit! Love 'em

I used something called a clay bar which is just as it sounds--a bar of clay. It's specially designed to pick up all the little bits of yuck and muck in the paint and leaves it smooth as glass. You wet the surface with water or a lubricating spray and gently rub a flattened, softened hunk of this clay across the surface until it looks, feels and sounds smooth. It's awesome stuff

Yup! I used the EZ Glider kit! Love 'em

Thanks. I've never hear of the clay thing before. Live and learn!

I'm not sure what you mean by "clayed the paint" :dontknow:

Did you use the EZ Glider cable lubers? I still have a set of those I need to use! I need to take the weekend and clean the FZ1 and Ninja two fiddy from top to bottom.

Clay Bar - process used with.... A bar of clay and typically detailing spray as a lubricant. The clay is rubbed over the paint and it captures up inclusions (eg pollen, industrial particles, paint overspray etc) that have imbedded into the clear coat.

You can feel these inclusions after washing and running your hand over the wet surface - you'll feel a bit of "grit". Clay baring removes the inclusions leaving a smooth glassy finish (this process is followed by waxing to seal the paint and protect from gathering future inclusions)

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

Thanks. I've never hear of the clay thing before. Live and learn!

It's real good stuff and excellent for cleaning up all kinds of stuff off other stuff! It works great on overspray and I especially like it for cleaning brake dust off wheels.

Years ago, I had an old Toyota Supra turbo. It was very 80s with white paint and white wheels. The only thing that would get the brake dust off was a hunk of clay bar. :)

Check out this video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwgnhCgwJE]Clay: The Best Tool in Your Garage! - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube[/ame]

It's real good stuff and excellent for cleaning up all kinds of stuff off other stuff! It works great on overspray and I especially like it for cleaning brake dust off wheels.

Years ago, I had an old Toyota Supra turbo. It was very 80s with white paint and white wheels. The only thing that would get the brake dust off was a hunk of clay bar. :)

Check out this video:
Clay: The Best Tool in Your Garage! - /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube

I'll watch that. I'm watching the Mother's clay bar kit videos on amazon.com now.

Finally

After a 21 year delay, my son and I bought a battery for the 76 KZ900. Had the carbs rebuilt last year. Once we install them and all new fuel lines, we are going to try and start it.

Picture soon of this original Green rust bucket.

My other bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ650. I removed the bulky, non-aerodynamic turn signals and the rear view mirrors. Replaced the mirrors with some that are aerodynamic in shape, and feature integrated LED turn signals, so no need for the other units. Installed LEDs on the rear as well. Saved 4 pounds of weight, and improved aerodynamics.

The original front lights had a two filament 1157 bulb: one for the parking lights, and one for the turn signals. The new LEDs were just one unit, with 15 little LEDs. I discovered that by putting a 220 ohm resistor in line, that only part of the lights would illuminate. This took the place of the parking lights. Then used some 5 pin relays to make the turn signals operate. Finally, the LED lights have very little current draw, so installed a 10 ohm resistor on each side so the flasher would sense enought resistance to flash.

It all works beautifully.

Back