What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

VFR Short Revealed

I could never figure this out. My shop finally did.

Tucked inside of the harness, not even shown on the schematic, it's a diode supplying a low voltage signal to the rear turn signals to make them also running lights. The diode plug was badly corroded causing a short. See the pic.They cleaned the plug and diode and applied dielectric grease and all is happy in the world.

Glad to be back on the VFR after two months on the DRZ. There is a tiny bit of performance difference. ;)

The 919 is at the shop having the CBR600 F4i forks installed with my existing RaceTech springs and new OEM seals & bushings. While it's there, I'm having the valves checked and new spark plugs put in.

Looking forward to having it back :)

I would have had to change the triples, the brakes, the rotors and the handlebars (to clip-ons maybe) and I didn't want that. Plus, the expense would have been much greater. The F4i forks are almost identical to the 919 forks but have better internals plus adjustable preload, rebound & compression. Everything bolts on, though.

Last edited:
Not today – but this past week: R&R’d the carb on my ’91 XR-200, towed it 450-miles to southeast NM (close to Carlsbad) and putt-putted around on some family/relative’s property while we stayed there for several days. (Been almost a year since it’s been started.)

I got the 919 back with its new forks. I had the upper & lower bushings replaced, new seals, 7 wt oil and my existing .95 RaceTech springs. Big improvement. Massive, really. The front is now as well-damped as the rear and the harsh shudders are all gone. It's now firm but compliant, just what I want. I think it will take some getting used to. :)

I had my valve clearances checked and the intake side were all at .15. The exhaust side was all at .25 except cylinder 4 which was .23. This was all well within spec and quite impressive for a motor with 82,000 km, I think

Last edited:
Bought an annual Texas Parks & Wildlife OHV sticker that is only good for 5 weeks. :)

15447d1374370980-what-did-you-do-your-non-fz1-motorcycle-today-capture.jpg

Heading to Sam Houston National Park next weekend.

I put a few miles on that 919 when Dustin was down here. Fun bike with an interesting motor, very linear power-almost like an electric sewing machine motor.

However I always did like the FZ1 motor as it climbed up to red line, a nice little rush :innocent:

Back