What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

I used my handy dandy EZ Glider Cable Lubrication System today and my throttle cables are oiled and happy now. I think next winter they won't freeze up like they did this year.

78e6b76aa9cc1bac9dd2480d4d520471.jpg

Hooked up my Corbin heater straight to the battery with a fuse and fixed my leaking 90 degree valve stem TWICE because the first time was too tight second time was too loose and the third time was just right NO LEAKY !![emoji106]
I think 80 degrees on my but should be fine[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you getting any riding in ?

Not a lot, just my typical commutes. I think I've done MAYBE 600 miles this month so far.

I did do a short ride up north a couple weeks ago but mostly we've just been getting grey clouds & lots of rain. Tomorrow I may take a buzz up to Squamish while we've got a sunny break.

Last edited:
Annual Service Time

Last Weekend I started on the annual service. It starts with the tear-down and cleaning.

2016%20-%201.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Electrics disassembled, cleaned, greased (dielectric) and reassembled. A few things re-routed for efficiency.

IMG_0568.jpg

Battery removed, cleaned, connections cleaned , greased and reassembled. The rectifier connection relocated.

IMG_0570.jpg

The radiator removed for cleaning and to make the valve check easier

IMG_0571.jpg

before blowing it out, and washing with hot soapy water and a soft brush.

IMG_0573.jpg

Front cylinder head much easier to access this way.

IMG_0584.jpg

Fuel pump pulled to change the dirty filters.

IMG_0585.jpg

secondary filter (new in green) installed old parts to the right.

IMG_0586.jpg

Primary filters; guess which one is the new one.

IMG_0587.jpg

All done and reinstalled.

Valve set and brakes and front tire, plus reassembly to go yet. I should be done this weekend.

Nice job Lee! She's looking good.

Thanks Billy, just trying to keep the old girl up to your standards. You set the bar high.

I was happy to see no sign of corrosion on any of my electrics. The Rectifier plug was a horrid mess with all the dirt mixed into the dielectric grease, but i took it apart, cleaned it with kerosene, then emery cloth on the contacts and regreased with marine electrical grease (a lot thicker). It looked new when it was done.

My heat-shielding is getting a bit ragged around the edges but I'll trim it and fix the edges with aluminum tape before the tanks go back on.

I still have to finish cleaning the header pipes. A green scubby and a bit of kerosene seems to get the baked on grime off really well, before using the metal polish.

Last edited:
Wow Lee, that's really a remarkable level of detail for an 'annual tune up'. Very cool

I'm sure my old girl could use something like that as well but I don't think I have the time, patience or skill.

Last edited:
Wow Lee, that's really a remarkable level of detail for an 'annual tune up'. Very cool

I'm sure my old girl could use something like that as well but I don't think I have the time, patience or skill.

Despite a remarkably mild winter in these parts, time (a good subtitute for patience) to wrench is not something I'm lacking. My garage is heated by a 1.6 liter supercharged radiant heater (When I get home from work with the Mini ;) ) which takes about 15 minutes to get it to room temperature. If I need more I have a plug in Radiant heater to supplement. The Garage is possibly better insulated than the house is.

I could sit around watching TV in the evening but the Calgary Flames mostly disappoint this season as do the rest of the Canadian teams, so I might as well do something useful. Besides that I enjoy working on my bike when I can't be out riding it. It has the advantage of getting me really familiar with the bike and as a result, really comfortable with working on it. Having a lift and mechanics stool and a well lit shop makes it even easier and enjoyable.

Mayby eventually I'll have the tools and an overhead hoist to make engine overhauls part of my scope of abilities.

I was trading barbs with the mechanic at work this morning, remarking that "I had to be careful not to get a tool box with too many drawers, since mechanics tend to get a God-complex after they exceed a certain number of drawers", like he has. He used his middle finger to push up his glasses, expecting me to be offended rather than amused.

Last edited:
I was trading barbs with the mechanic at work this morning, remarking that "I had to be careful not to get a tool box with too many drawers, since mechanics tend to get a God-complex after they exceed a certain number of drawers", like he has. He used his middle finger to push up his glasses, expecting me to be offended rather than amused.

Darn! Lousy 5 drawers is all I got! :dontknow:

Darn! Lousy 5 drawers is all I got! :dontknow:

And I've got 9, but neither of us have to worry. I think the threshold is 40, before you would need to get a MUCH bigger helmet. The mechanic at work has 78!!

Last night I refreshed my heat-shields on the tanks. Just the valves and reassembly and fluids to go now. I'll start the valve check after work tonight and at least get the rear cylinder done.

Lonney, this one's for you.

Waterton%20Range.jpg

Last edited:
I put a Givi locking tankbag on the Super Ten .
Revzilla is GREAT i ordered the locking ring yesterday and it was on my steps today !!
64d22061272bb174d8a2b414d035f81d.jpg
e8db67b3a225fc914ef2d1c014b4565a.jpg

Little By Little

Checked the Valves tonight; rear cylinder all in spec!! Front Cylinder only one intake (right) need to go down one size shim.

IMG_0588.jpg

All in spec for rear cylinder.

IMG_0589.jpg

Front had to come apart to change the right intake.

IMG_0590.jpg

Front Cylinder head parts laid out carefully.

IMG_0591.jpg

Top right bucket in this picture was the only one that needed attention.

IMG_0593.jpg

Pill bottle to organise shims and my fancy micrometer to ensure accuracy.

IMG_0592.jpg

Air box and throttle bodies back in place.

IMG_0596.jpg

Coming together again; Oil back in it Castrol RS 10W50.

Coolant and a little wiring tomorrow before the tanks go back on.

Lee, is there an inch of that bike that isn't absolutely immaculate? It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line and you're nearly at 100,000 km. Incredible.

Lee, is there an inch of that bike that isn't absolutely immaculate? It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line and you're nearly at 100,000 km. Incredible.

Well, I try. I guess I better use soft focus when I post pictures of my front wheel with the new tire on it. The rims are a bit beat up from off road play. One of these years I'll probably strip it down to the frame and really do a restore, paint and all. I'll wait until she hits 200,000 K. By the way she is over 101,500kms now.

I am going to finish the rad flush and fill tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be 14 degrees, but as tempting as it is to get it done tonight, there is so much salt on the roads now that I will resist taking her out a while longer yet.

Besides I need something to do on the weekend.

Back