What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Fussy

If you do any of your own maintenance, especially dirt or dual sport, or restoration you might find this link interesting.

Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories

Just go to the home page.

I had a few damaged connectors on my machine after years of trying to part dirty connectors. The latches get jammed up with dirt and usually the plastic tabs get chewed up trying to get them apart. If you are particular about you machine and things like that bother you, getting replacements should be much easier.

The Quest Continues

Another night and a couple of easy jobs.

I didn't have a new copper crush washer for the bleed screw on the waterpump so I anealed the old one so I could reuse it.

IMG_0597_1.jpg

heat it red hot, let cool and re-use.

I finished adding the fluids, and "burped" the coolant system to get all the air pockets out.

IMG_0598.jpg

Then I replaced the front brake pads, cleaning and lubricating the pistons. I used emery cloth on the slider pins to ensure that there were no notches or bumps the hang up the pads, then coated them with Copper coat before installing them.

IMG_0599.jpg

About to start.

IMG_0600.jpg

2 bolts (10mm) and the first caliper is free.

With Brembo calipers, after you remove the cotter pin, you need to tap the pin free from the outside edge toward the center. A small tip counter punch works well.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Tools of the trade.

IMG_0603.jpg

Pads removed.

IMG_0605.jpg

The slider pin has a crush collar that keeps it snug, as well as a cotter pin for good measure.

IMG_0606.jpg

All done.

Last edited:
KLX250 work

Put the forks back on the 2009 KLX250S after new seals and oil. Cleaned up the rear caliper and put the wheels back on the front and rear with Kenda DOT knobbies for off roading.

Sorry about the horrible phone pics.

20160226_200043_resized.jpg20160226_200052_resized.jpg20160226_203128_resized.jpg

So, how many kilometers on that old tire? It looks knackered

It is a Mitas E-09 80/90/ 21". and has about 10,000 kms on it. I was looking for a cheaper alternative last year when Continentals were more expensive. It was a failed experiment, as the 80 sidewall is too short for off-roading, making for too many rim hits on rocks. I was glad to get it off and although it had good traction (due to the tread pattern) when it was new, it is not good an a bigger bike like mine.

Off road the more rubber between the rim and the rocks the better, especially on a heavier bike.

Mitas makes a 90/90/ 21 in the E-09 in a extra ply "Dakar" version, but it was more money and their 4 ply sidewall tires (as apposed to 3) are stiffer with no more tread than the others.

The Continental usually gives me about the same mileage of mixed road use as long as I keep the pressure at the maximum recomended. That is crucial, as even a few psi lower on pavement eats the knobbies off quick.

Last edited:
Meat on that baby, I have to change tires tomorrow on the DRZ, going back to OEM Dual Sport's.. I have doing this job, I kill tubes. But, heard if I add a bit of air to the tubes I should be OK. That how you do it ?

Meat on that baby, I have to change tires tomorrow on the DRZ, going back to OEM Dual Sport's.. I have doing this job, I kill tubes. But, heard if I add a bit of air to the tubes I should be OK. That how you do it ?

Yes air up the tube so it holds its shape but is soft. Lube the bead including just inside the edge . You should be able to push the tire onto the rim without tools, the first side anyway. If not you didn't lube well enough.

Then line up the valve stem and work the tube into the tire all the way around so that once in the tire drops to the upper bead.
Then carefully pop the bead over the rim working around starting about 4 inches from the valve stem. With a 21 inch rim it should be very easy.

Go to a tire shop and ask if you can have or buy a few ounces of proper tire lube. Take it home and in a plastic container, add the same amount of water and mix it up. There is nothing that works better or makes changing tires easier! That amount of tire lube will last you for ages since just dipping your finger and thumb in and running them along the bead a few times will be enough for each side. It stays slippery much longer than dish soap and completely dries up so your bead grips the tire.

Last edited:
Piece by Piece

I'm getting impatient so I started the reassembly (I get bored easily). Still waiting for the new connector to finish this;

IMG_0610.jpg

Two bare wires need the spade connectors, then the male side of the white plastic clip shown can be attached. After that the rest of the body panels can go on.

IMG_0609.jpg

Like Scotty said on Star Trek; "Shields at maximum". I refreshed the heat shields on the inside of the fuel tanks. It keeps the fuel cooler.

IMG_0613.jpg

The right side tank is reinstalled but is as far as I can go until my two little electrical jobs are done.

Little by little.....

It is a Mitas E-09 80/90/ 21". and has about 10,000 kms on it. I was looking for a cheaper alternative last year when Continentals were more expensive. It was a failed experiment, as the 80 sidewall is too short for off-roading, making for too many rim hits on rocks. I was glad to get it off and although it had good traction (due to the tread pattern) when it was new, it is not good an a bigger bike like mine.

Off road the more rubber between the rim and the rocks the better, especially on a heavier bike.

Mitas makes a 90/90/ 21 in the E-09 in a extra ply "Dakar" version, but it was more money and their 4 ply sidewall tires (as apposed to 3) are stiffer with no more tread than the others.

The Continental usually gives me about the same mileage of mixed road use as long as I keep the pressure at the maximum recomended. That is crucial, as even a few psi lower on pavement eats the knobbies off quick.

Hey Lee, a buddy of mine has a Raider and found out that the Shinkos for his bike is made at the Continental plant . Are Shinkos made by Conti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Lee, a buddy of mine has a Raider and found out that the Shinkos for his bike is made at the Continental plant . Are Shinkos made by Conti?

I believe Shinko is an independent company from Korea that acquired the old Yokohama designs and tooling.

Maybe they share a plant in China or something. I know there has been controversy in the past regarding the quality of some Continental motorcycle tires that were made outside of Europe. It may have even been the TKC 80 that Lee is using.

Last edited:

Not a clue on that one. I use the TKC-80 because so far I haven't found anything that works better for how and where I ride. Brand means nothing, the performance is all.

Last edited:
Back