What did you do to your FZ today?

Installed belly pan. Bought it off eBay, $149 delivered. Not a bad part for the money. It came black, painted it white to match my 2012. Waiting for my decals to arrive from fastdecals.com. Overall I think it looks pretty good.

I installed some Graves stacks that I acquired through a trade with Soulrider, along with a Power Commander 5. For performance mods, I now currently have a Yoshi TRC slip on, Lars air box, gutted cat, stacks, and 16t sprocket. I played around with all the maps in Duke's map pack and have found that for my mods, the JonDaddy82 map works amazingly well. The bike is so much more responsive. Just cruising around at 4k, then twist the throttle and the bike just takes off :) It truly feels like a different bike.

Rode it. Just a little crosstown errand but it felt good to be on the bike.
View attachment 15548

I have new spark plugs and radiator fluid sitting in the garage so after my Sunday ride I want to check the valves next week. In the process I'll check every hose I can find, remove the ais for good (diy style), change the spark plugs, and flush the rad.

Recently installed the SpeedoDRD with a -6.4% correction.

Yesterday I replaced my rear turn signals, the ones that were on it were pretty crap, you could barely see them during the day. Replacements are way better and match the front.

Next job will be installing the USB power point when it turns up.

Last edited:
Took my first ride...

Well after a little less than a month of finding/fixing broken stuff I finally went for my first test ride.

It's still going to need a bunch of tuning/tweaking but a ton of progress has been made.

I can't wait to finish her up.

Here are a few pics. If you'd like to see the entire album, click HERE

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0009description.jpg

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

Rode up to Mt. Cheaha again. Some of the better roads in AL. Beautiful day, not too hot. The bike ran great. Didn't really ride hard but had fun and got 38.6 mpg. Really happy about that.

Matt

The wife and I were going to ride to Jefferson City, MO on Friday and back on Saturday, a ride outlined in Rider magazine. The weather put an end to that, so we saddled up today (Saturday, Aug 3) and rode 400 miles to Galena, IL.

My wife got to test out her new Corbin seat for her 2009 Ninja 250r. She says it is way more comfortable than stock, but still wants a break before 100 miles.

We are leaving for home bright and early. Jodie has been getting about 60 MPG and I have been getting around 38 MPG. The ride has been great and our Scala rider G4 system lasted about 12 hours, just about an hour short of our ride time.

We didn't stop for many pictures on the way here, but I will try to take more on the way home. These are from today. Jodie has a few on her phone that she hasn't sent me yet.

View attachment 15552
View attachment 15553View attachment 15554

RE: Trip

Lookin' good there Troy !!

It's hot here in sunny Florida. My GW buddy and I rode 1,100 miles to get here and will start back Wed. for Indiana. Ride SAFE !

PS: I will roll over 146K on the ole girl by the time I get back :D

Took a look at the entire album. Very nice job! How is she running?

When she fired up, amazingly smooth. Needed a little choke to stay running but no miss what-so-ever. When I blipped the throttle, the response was instantaneous and crisp. No hesitation or stumble. I figured I was IN!

I let her idle and warm up a bit as I called the insurance co. to verify my coverage. Then, I put on the helmet and took her around the block. After only about 200yrds a misfire started. It would clear out and run like a beast above 4k rpm but go right back to 'rough' below..and idle was out of the question.

I had forgotten to install the new fuel filter so I'm figuring some crud got back into the carbs.

I have very limited time to work on her since then because I work 12hr days Saturday, Sunday then I'm off Monday but we're leaving Tuesday morning for vacation. So I'm chomping at the bit to get back to troubleshooting the issue but won't have time until we get back on the following week!!

I'm confident I can get her running like a charm, just need the time and opportunity to do it.

I also have arriving on Monday, some new (used) Rizoma clip-ons, an R6 shock conversion kit, my new helmet and a new (used) summer riding jacket.

I've ridden over 200,000 miles in my life but stopped riding when I met/married wife #2. Well that was around 15yrs ago now and the draw of riding again is just too strong. That's why I purchased this 'fixer-upper'.

I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed riding. That brief ride, even with a rough running bike, brought back all of the good things I'd remembered about riding.

So, hopefully I can get it figured that week I come back.

My son recently got a Suzuki Bandit 600. He's so anxious to go on a ride with me. He was 6 or 7 when I stopped riding. He's 21 now and wants nothing more than to go on a ride w/Dad. As soon as I get this beast back to normal operating conditions we're going on rides!

Mesa to Payson Arizona, Mesa to Tortilla Flat Arizona, etc... I told my wife she's probably not going to see me much the first month or two that I get it running!

Ok, enough of the long story.

Cheers!

My son recently got a Suzuki Bandit 600. He's so anxious to go on a ride with me. He was 6 or 7 when I stopped riding. He's 21 now and wants nothing more than to go on a ride w/Dad. As soon as I get this beast back to normal operating conditions we're going on rides!

I know how your son feels. I felt the same way when I got my first bike. Dad put me on the gas tank of his Yamaha something or other back in the 70s. I must have been about 3 years old. I had no idea, when I got my first bike, that all I really wanted to do was go for a ride with my Daddy.

Man, I got video to prove it. We found a road where the curves just kept coming and coming and coming: not many sweepers, a couple of tight 10mph down hill 180 degree with others not as tight but a truly technical road. My FZ was flawless, the rider not so much but Baby did better than I realized he could do when I was doing all the modding. I'm so glad my modding is done, just a little maintenance and I can ride, ride, ride. Crossed over 46k during the ride.

I just need to edit a bit. The story will be told on my blog.

Last evening, Monday evening after work, I got rid of the EXUP cables and the stock muffler, then installed a GYTR CF slip-on. Looks great compared to the stock can and compliments the white/black/CF theme I have going on the bike now.

Still need a nut for the exhaust hanger bolt before I can test the new slip-on. It seems that at least on 2012 models, the hanger nut is integral to the muffler body and you can't reuse the nut without cutting on the muffler. So off to the hardware store this evening for a stainless nut.

Several days ago installed my new Corbin saddle and a Puig Racing CF windscreen. Looks like I am about done with mods. until this winter when I want to do air box/filter and fuel air management.

Note to the poster above about Corbin saddles...I get about 90 minutes before I want to walk around a bit. The stock saddle gave me 45 minutes, so I got an improvement, but no miracles.

Back