What did you do to your FZ today?

Today, well sort of, I took her in for her 600 mile initial service. My dealer will also do a 16T conversion, mount my Yosh. rear fender eliminator kit and install my SpeedoDRD device. Hope I notice a difference when I get her back in a few days.

Oh, also have a new Corbin saddle to mount. Carbon fiber look leather with a white welt to match my 2012 bike color.

After this, I think any more mods have to wait until fall or late fall/early winter. I really want a slip on, for looks if nothing else. The factory can is really ugly to me now.

Got a Slime mid-size air compressor to keep the tires happy. This compressor has a chuck that is easy to use on the front wheel. I also found my compact digital air gauge.

Funny, I like the look of the stock muffler, it looks "beefy" and stealthy in flat black.

Today, well sort of, I took her in for her 600 mile initial service. My dealer will also do a 16T conversion, mount my Yosh. rear fender eliminator kit and install my SpeedoDRD device. Hope I notice a difference when I get her back in a few days.

Oh, also have a new Corbin saddle to mount. Carbon fiber look leather with a white welt to match my 2012 bike color.

After this, I think any more mods have to wait until fall or late fall/early winter. I really want a slip on, for looks if nothing else. The factory can is really ugly to me now.
be careful when it now lifts the front end at the top end of first gear with ease...

I was fooled by weather.com yesterday and didn't ride to work, but I rode in tonight and will ride tomorrow too! :cheerleader: It just starts and ends work so well with a great ride here and home! :woot: There aren't even any exciting roads to get here, but I'm trying to ride every day I can for however long I can. I know that evil winter will be here in 3 months :flip:

be careful when it now lifts the front end at the top end of first gear with ease...

Yes, I will be mindful of that being possible now. Actually, according to the break-in schedule, I am still about 400 miles short of being able to go to that happy place on the rev-counter. So maybe I can get used to what will eventually be happening with a 16T front sprocket.

Rode into work yesterday evening in the heat and rode home this morning in the cold. :jaw drop: I think it was in the 80s-90s on the way in and 50s-60s on the way home. I'll take the cool weather. I should have zipped up my vents on my jacket. Who knew? :nono:

One more night of work for this week. I will ride in again. 35mpg beats 18mpg of my Santa Fe, but I'd honestly take the bike even if it got worse mileage. It's really just an excuse. :angel:

Rode into work yesterday evening in the heat and rode home this morning in the cold. :jaw drop: I think it was in the 80s-90s on the way in and 50s-60s on the way home. I'll take the cool weather. I should have zipped up my vents on my jacket. Who knew? :nono:

One more night of work for this week. I will ride in again. 35mpg beats 18mpg of my Santa Fe, but I'd honestly take the bike even if it got worse mileage. It's really just an excuse. :angel:

One thing I hate about m/c commute is that the nice tires flat spot a lot as I can't find time every other weekend to compensate for that on the backroads. Other thing is while it is useful to lane split, it is absolutely boring to ride in traffic ....

Dressing up the FZ1

Spent some time cleaning up the look of my FZ1 today. Here's what I did:
1. Installed Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
2. Installed a integrated tail light with the smoke lens.
3. Installed flush mount Proton turn signals up front.

I am very happy with the new look of the bike! See pictures attached.

new rubber Dunlops sportsmarts

L.E. man, just came back from a short ride.. 3 involuntary wheelies(out of corners) and 2 tankslappers .. pfuuu

first impression.. lean in a bit faster than Bridgestone S20, they don't warm up so quickly , don't like asphalt snakes at all

Last edited:
This is a great thread I thought I'd try to contribute.

I really disliked the silver accents on my 08 fz1. After going through this and other sites and looking to see what others had done about it I decided to go rattlecan on some of it.

I would have powdercoated but the plastic radiator covers had my PC guy saying he was gonna charge me extra to bake longer at lower temp, well good cause the satin black wasn't gonna match as well as I wanted anyway. Plus I have to touch up PC jobs on aluminum parts on boats all the time and it never works out the way you hope.

Anyway, I found that VHT metallic black engine enamel matched the frame paint close enough for me. I've baked this stuff on lots of yacht engine parts and shields before and always had great results. Once cured the stuff resists acetone like a champ so if holds up to that, I like my chances.

I removed the radiator side covers, heat shield and endcap for the stock can, and the exhaust hanger/passenger pegs extensions. I didn't do the passenger pegs and haven't decided what to do there yet (have no passenger currently)

Ok enough babble.. here's the pics.

Before/After
exhaustpaint.jpg

stockcanrepainted.jpg

During:
20130725_111500.jpg

20130725_122325.jpg

20130725_132342.jpg

Oh yeah and a couple of weeks ago I did the zero gravity touring screen with some gold windscreen bolts found on ebay for $10
windscreen_mod_final-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great thread I thought I'd try to contribute.

I really disliked the silver accents on my 08 fz1. After going through this and other sites and looking to see what others had done about it I decided to go rattlecan on some of it.

I would have powdercoated but the plastic radiator covers had my PC guy saying he was gonna charge me extra to bake longer at lower temp, well good cause the satin black wasn't gonna match as well as I wanted anyway. Plus I have to touch up PC jobs on aluminum parts on boats all the time and it never works out the way you hope.

Anyway, I found that VHT metallic black engine enamel matched the frame paint close enough for me. I've baked this stuff on lots of yacht engine parts and shields before and always had great results. Once cured the stuff resists acetone like a champ so if holds up to that, I like my chances.

I removed the radiator side covers, heat shield and endcap for the stock can, and the exhaust hanger/passenger pegs extensions. I didn't do the passenger pegs and haven't decided what to do there yet (have no passenger currently)

Ok enough babble.. here's the pics.

Before:
perry1-1.jpeg

After:
DSC_0023.jpg

stockcanrepainted.jpg

During:
20130725_111500.jpg

20130725_122325.jpg

20130725_132342.jpg

Oh yeah and a couple of weeks ago I did the zero gravity touring screen with some gold windscreen bolts found on ebay for $10
windscreen_mod_final-1.jpg

Very nice. I love it all except the gold oil filler cap. It really sticks out against the all black and it doesn't seem to match the gold forks or wheels from the pictures. All just opinion, if you like it, awesome! :dontknow:

That ZG Sport Touring shield is my best all around shield I've had. I like the ZG double bubble for hot weather, and the V-Stream for cool weather or possible rain. The Rifle giant shield works well, but looks ugly. The ZG ST is my pick for every other situation.

Very nice. I love it all except the gold oil filler cap. It really sticks out against the all black and it doesn't seem to match the gold forks or wheels from the pictures. All just opinion, if you like it, awesome! :dontknow:

That ZG Sport Touring shield is my best all around shield I've had. I like the ZG double bubble for hot weather, and the V-Stream for cool weather or possible rain. The Rifle giant shield works well, but looks ugly. The ZG ST is my pick for every other situation.

Thanks man, yeah you're pretty much spot on about the oil cap. :+2: Seemed like a good idea at the time. I just haven't gotten around to admitting I was wrong yet... thanks I appreciate the feedback! :doh2:

I'd like to incorporate more gold into the bike, sadly I think some of it is going to be trial and error like this!

What did I do today? I'll let you know when I'm done icing my bum...
roadtrip.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man, yeah you're pretty much spot on about the oil cap. :+2: Seemed like a good idea at the time. I just haven't gotten around to admitting I was wrong yet... thanks I appreciate the feedback! :doh2:

I'd like to incorporate more gold into the bike, sadly I think some of it is going to be trial and error like this!

I'm right there with you! Mine is the faster cobalt blue :p but I have the gold forks (black wheels - 2007) and I want more gold on mine too. I considered the gold oil filler cap, but never pulled the trigger. I have cheap Chinese gold levers that work great, but never matched in color and have faded a lot after 2 years. I may have to get the Pazzo's as they look like they match the forks very well. I was considering the gold windshield screws too.

What did I do today? I'll let you know when I'm done icing my bum...
roadtrip.jpg

:wow: Looks like a great trip. One that you are happy to have been on and happy to be home from! :D I'd suggest an aftermarket seat. I've been happy with Corbin and Top Sallerie. I haven't tried the Yamaha gel, Sargent or "Dirt Road" mod, but hear OK to great thing about them too.

I'm right there with you! Mine is the faster cobalt blue :p but I have the gold forks (black wheels - 2007) and I want more gold on mine too. I considered the gold oil filler cap, but never pulled the trigger. I have cheap Chinese gold levers that work great, but never matched in color and have faded a lot after 2 years. I may have to get the Pazzo's as they look like they match the forks very well. I was considering the gold windshield screws too.

:wow: Looks like a great trip. One that you are happy to have been on and happy to be home from! :D I'd suggest an aftermarket seat. I've been happy with Corbin and Top Sallerie. I haven't tried the Yamaha gel, Sargent or "Dirt Road" mod, but hear OK to great thing about them too.

Yeah thanks I bit off a little more than I could chew on that ride. I already knew the seat was gonna be a problem before I left but oh well. I've been looking at the seat options need to make a decision soon!

I'm 6'1" and need to determine how high I can make that seat safely. A combination of raising the seat and possibly lowering the pegs is in order I thought my knees were getting better but I guessed wrong. :(

I may raise the bars too trying not to reinvent the wheel in one week.

If you want a gold oil fill cap I know where you can get one..... Cheap! ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I got the Micron GP from Lonnie (thanks again, very easy transaction, great guy). So I pulled off the GYTR carbon slip on and bolted on the new Micron GP slip on (after pulling the silencer out). here's some pics and a vid. The Micron is a lot throatier than the GYTR. Now for I'm itching for the weather to clear up & to get some time to go for a spin.

FZ1 slip on comparison - YouTube

Back