What did you do to your FZ today?

Nice writeup there Lee! One thing that I will add is that if you spill brake fluid on any painted parts the "best" thing to do is actually rinse it off with some water right away.

Service

I gave mine a good service today. Oil and filter change, no problem.
New air filter, no problem. New plugs...............jeeez it's gonna be a while before I do them again!!!!! What a pain.

RE: Latest FZ1 update

Today I scratched the idea of installing extra LED indicators on the vertical face of the inner fairings to blink with the turn signals. I remember reading on here about installing small buzzers (or chimes) to help remind one to cancel the blinkers. So, off to RADIO SHACK to see what they have. Sure enough, I found a 2-wire 12VDC 'backup buzzer' that looked perfect. It is small enough to hide inside the front cowling, and with 85db's, loud enough to hear with a fullface helmet on at speed. I mounted the 2-buzzers (for the left and right side) on the gauge-cluster mounting bracket with cable ties as high as I could get them. They make sort of a double buzz-it when activated. Pretty neat. This should help old guys like me remember to turn off the dang blinker ! heh,heh,
Buzzers were $6.94 each at the SHACK with Indiana sales tax included.
See the pics. Note the pic with the pod light installed. These lights look so cool. Someone on here said they look like factory lights when viewed from the front , , , , they do !
BTW, still waiting patiently for my GRAVES front flushies , , , ,to arrive.

Someone on here said they look like factory lights when viewed from the front , , , , they do !

Good progress so far and that's a good idea about the buzzer to remind you the turn signal is on. As for the pod lights the reason they look so "factory" is because in some countries (Europe, Japan) it actually comes with running lights in there from the factory. Since they are not required here in the US Yamaha saves a few bucks on each bike by not including them.

Good progress so far and that's a good idea about the buzzer to remind you the turn signal is on. As for the pod lights the reason they look so "factory" is because in some countries (Europe, Japan) it actually comes with running lights in there from the factory. Since they are not required here in the US Yamaha saves a few bucks on each bike by not including them.

Having nothing to do with this post, I was looking at your Speedohealer post in this thread and just figured out that I didn't buy a washer for my front sprocket! We're gonna have to go easy on the one thats there and reuse it.

Having nothing to do with this post, I was looking at your Speedohealer post in this thread and just figured out that I didn't buy a washer for my front sprocket! We're gonna have to go easy on the one thats there and reuse it.

Good news! I have a spare if we fubar that one. ;)

It has two tabs to use and typically, only one is ever bent. I reused my original and bent the unused tab this time but I did buy a new one with the 16T sprocket and have it on-hand. No worries!

Well tonight I finally got my bike all ready for the "big" trip up to NH. Checked the tire pressure and lubed the chain. Oh and one small detail...finally picked up and installed my ceramic coated header. It's a satin black finish good to 2000° F :D Enjoy the pics...

Well tonight I finally got my bike all ready for the "big" trip up to NH. Checked the tire pressure and lubed the chain. Oh and one small detail...finally picked up and installed my ceramic coated header. It's a satin black finish good to 2000° F :D Enjoy the pics...

Tony! Come on! Polish those rims man! You can't go out looking like that!

Tony! Come on! Polish those rims man! You can't go out looking like that!

Well I thought about cleaning the bike, but I figured that I might get caught in the rain during the trip and then it would all be for nothing. Seriously I do plan on giving the bike a good cleaning when we get back from NH :D

I got lost!
001-17.jpg

Went ride'n

Took a cruise over to Laurenburg NC. from my place abour 50 miles west of there. Stopped and got a 'Fanta' grape soda and a hard-box of Marllbourough. Puffed a couple cigs in some park there with the most unusual trees, they had to be centurians at least... nothing like I'd ever seen. The whole point was to find a Yamaha shop in that city, as I wrote in previous posts, my Daughter wants to get a new sportbike, so I thought I'd have a look. I'd envisioned a GSXR 750 for her, or possably a FZ1, new stuff. But as luck would have it, I just got lost in this town, getting deeper into what looked to be 'Gheto' like areas, not a very prudent place for a 'white boy'. Mind you, I'v alot of Black friends here where I live, we have grand times with everything from BBQ's to fishing on the PeeDee river. We all look out for each other and it's some amazing friendships, We laugh togather we hurt togather when calamity claims someone, all the things of a colorblind life. But here in this town I was getting a deffinate vibe that I was 'game'.

Lots of Harleys out yesterday too, the usual 50/50 waves from them, guess I wasn't too unwelcome? Well as I said I spent a while looking for the bike shop, but time was running out, at least in my feeling of comfort, so I said to myself skrew-it, it's too far in the weong dirrection and a bit hostile for my Daughter if she did get a bike, so I headed back home. Along the way there were places where the posted 55 was sailing along at around 80 mph, all the trafic, no loligagers, we were cooking. A bit further twords home just outside Hamlet the trafic was up to 85, and I was doing likewise.

About this time I thought it might be wise to seek more legal speeds, something was nagging in my mind. Good thing I did, I had a HP a couple cars ahead of me that I had not seen amd one coming from hiding behind a fiew cars. The trafic slowed......yea, to 75 lol.... oh well it was posted at 70. The HP's never gave me a second look, still I thought it prudent to cool it and do 55-60 on back to home. Well I didn't acomplish much looking for a bike, and got the creeps from my visit, but all went well.....oh that is, except for a little sun-burn on my forearms.

I guess the next time I'll go up towards Charolette or Monroe to the shops up there and give it a whirl. I know of at least one Yamaha shop that from a drive-by looks to be well stocked with sport, cruise and atv stuff. So really 'what did I do to the FZ ?' Well I'll say, I lubed the chain...there that works. :) :)

Test drive

Took my new brakes (HEL braided lines), and shock (Ohlins YA 906 for those unaware) for a test run to work this morning. First impressions are very good. Definate improvement in feel, and feed back with the brakes, the rear seems even more noticeble in it's improved feel. The shock, far from getting much of a workout (it's a short ride even the "long way" to work), feels excellent. Over the rough stuff like railway tracks and some poor pavement, it did a much better job of keeping the rear planted and wasn't as jarring to me. Very firm but not stiff. I will be taking it out for a better test after work!:Rockon:

:+1: What Eric said!! Very nice overall look and nicely put together. Now you have even more "pull me over" RED on the bike. Don't get any tickets on your trip.

Thanks... Luckily this red is not as bright as the red on my YZF, but more of a burgundy so it doesn't stand out as much (I hope) :D I will try and keep it under 75 MPH indicated (so it's probably closer to 70-71 MPH actual) in the 65 MPH zones. I should be fine. Don't want to spend all 300+ miles worrying about getting pulled over that's for sure ;).

Back