Track Addiction

I remember quite some time ago when I was riding my FZ1 reading a lengthy comment someone posted about the conversion from casual motorcycle rider - to tasting what track was like - to getting more serious about track days - to taking instruction and going to racing schools - to, eventually, start racing at the amateur level. Some progression. And I thought to myself, NAH, THAT WILL NEVER BE ME.

Well, last year I purchased my CBR1000RR and started doing some track days. At this point today, I just rode at MSR-Houston on Sunday and the previous week at MSR-Cresson. And my bike is mostly safety wired now and I'm seriously considering converting it to a track only bike. What an addiction! The more you do and the more tips and instruction you get, well, it just encourages the craving! As I keep improving, I can't see this going anywhere but to more and more track. I really feel comfortable and have fun out there. That is the key for me. And the community of riders at the track is like nothing else. Some people will give you the shirt off their back (and spare parts!! and free labor!! ). It really is an amazing environment.

Back when I was a kid I raced a YZ80 at a dirt track. For 2 races and blew up the engine. My dad cut me off from racing after that. I rode other stuff, but racing was out. But hey, life sure has a funny way of turning out. I'm just having fun.

Regardless of how I'm doing at the track, I just want to may a recommendation for anyone who is interested. Go hit the track, if you haven't already. It will greatly improve your skills and enjoyment on a motorcycle. Get some great interaction and expert-level instruction. It's one thing to watch AMA on tv. Quite another to be on a track and have 2 AMA riders flying by you on either side going into a corner deep and late braking, and scrubbing off speed. Hey life is short, right??

completely agree, rode cruisers for years, picked up a track bike, two years later i'm instructing and next year will be racing. second greatest thing on earth it is.

Aren't track days relatively expensive? I would love to go to the track but $150 to $200 thats alot of $$$ for me to spend for a few laps on the track. Thats why I love my dirtbike those track days are only $30 and there are not sessions I just go until I can't hold on anymore.

Maybe I am wrong about the prices? Plus if I drop my bike I'd be screwed

Depends. Close to you there is a track in San Marcos (Harris Hill) that just changed mgmt and for $150 a month you can go unlimited times they are open for bikes. They used to have instructors there too. It is "ok" as far as tracks go. A little small. But still fun.

Different tracks in TX are around $120 or so. Varies based on track organization. But, it can all be ridden for free if you trade corner working for a track day. Yep, FREE. You just have to do a little investigation.

It's just worth it to some people. That's all. If you don't want to invest in improving your skills in this fashion, then stay on the dirt or take up golf. It's not for everyone. You do actually have to WANT to get faster (accurately, safely) to stick with it. :D:D

then stay on the dirt or take up golf. It's not for everyone. You do actually have to WANT to get faster (accurately, safely) to stick with it. :D:D

I'll stay on the dirt for now and I already golf. If I had the money I'd love to get into track days. I was just saying $150 a day is outta my budget. If I liked it and became addicted that could become a problem if I couldn't afford it. I know that when you find something you like you just want to keep doing it more and more. I might have to look into the corner for a day thing.

Aren't track days relatively expensive? I would love to go to the track but $150 to $200 thats alot of $$$ for me to spend for a few laps on the track. Thats why I love my dirtbike those track days are only $30 and there are not sessions I just go until I can't hold on anymore.

Maybe I am wrong about the prices? Plus if I drop my bike I'd be screwed

prices depend on the track org and level of instruction you get. you're not just paying for track time but also learning from instructors. cost for track time is usually 140-200 but you ride all day, it's not just a few laps. what better place to learn to ride properly than on a track with no distractions like deer, cars, gravel etc

Alot of the Texas tracks have member days, where you alternate every 30 min with race cars. So, you get better traction when some rubber has already been laid down ;)

Other 'regular' track days your groups will alternate from novice, intermediate, and advanced. Special one-on-one instruction is available too. Plus other specialty classes. It wasn't always like that.

Also, there are some track organizations that run a day on the Friday of race weekends (here it's LSTD). So, you can stick around and watch the races. Or get more involved. It's all up to you!

I'll stay on the dirt for now and I already golf. If I had the money I'd love to get into track days. I was just saying $150 a day is outta my budget. If I liked it and became addicted that could become a problem if I couldn't afford it. I know that when you find something you like you just want to keep doing it more and more. I might have to look into the corner for a day thing.

You must have some cheap a$$ golf courses by you. Most of the nice courses here are $150-250 a round (I just looked for Shhh and giggles and Troon North has a special $399 for 36 holes, LOL), the decent courses you can get deals for around $60 in the summer for a round and the crap courses are still $40 a round. I gave up golf when I moved to AZ because it was so expensive. Where I grew up in WA I remember getting on fun courses for like $25.

On a given track day I'll get in 150 to 180 miles. Much more than a few laps.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Yep.

CMRA season opens up at MSR-H tomorrow!! I'm there tonight :tup:

Starting this season they will have an improved Formula 1 expert race, with a qualifying session before lunch and purse money! I'll be CW on Sunday so should see some great stuff out there! Excited!!:D:smoking:

Damnit I had myself convinced I wouldn't get into track days and I gave you my reasons why. Now I really want to do one!!! CRAP

Just do one & try it. It will imensely improve your time on a motorcycle - anywhere afterward. It's not for everyone, but if it is for you it is FANTASTIC. And if it grabs you and you get more involved, you may end up planning your budget around it and giving up other things ;) :evillaugh:

I remember quite some time ago when I was riding my FZ1 reading a lengthy comment someone posted about the conversion from casual motorcycle rider - to tasting what track was like - to getting more serious about track days - to taking instruction and going to racing schools - to, eventually, start racing at the amateur level. Some progression. And I thought to myself, NAH, THAT WILL NEVER BE ME.

Well, last year I purchased my CBR1000RR and started doing some track days. At this point today, I just rode at MSR-Houston on Sunday and the previous week at MSR-Cresson. And my bike is mostly safety wired now and I'm seriously considering converting it to a track only bike. What an addiction! The more you do and the more tips and instruction you get, well, it just encourages the craving! As I keep improving, I can't see this going anywhere but to more and more track. I really feel comfortable and have fun out there. That is the key for me. And the community of riders at the track is like nothing else. Some people will give you the shirt off their back (and spare parts!! and free labor!! ). It really is an amazing environment.

Back when I was a kid I raced a YZ80 at a dirt track. For 2 races and blew up the engine. My dad cut me off from racing after that. I rode other stuff, but racing was out. But hey, life sure has a funny way of turning out. I'm just having fun.

Regardless of how I'm doing at the track, I just want to may a recommendation for anyone who is interested. Go hit the track, if you haven't already. It will greatly improve your skills and enjoyment on a motorcycle. Get some great interaction and expert-level instruction. It's one thing to watch AMA on tv. Quite another to be on a track and have 2 AMA riders flying by you on either side going into a corner deep and late braking, and scrubbing off speed. Hey life is short, right??

yo fz what do you mean by all safety wired up?

...what do you mean by all safety wired up?

On most (all?) tracks, you have to secure some parts from falling off or coming undone. I believe that centerstands need to either be removed or secured. Oil filters, fill cap, and drain need to be secured so they don't come unscrewed. Depending on the level of the rider/track, the requirements may increase.

On most (all?) tracks, you have to secure some parts from falling off or coming undone. I believe that centerstands need to either be removed or secured. Oil filters, fill cap, and drain need to be secured so they don't come unscrewed. Depending on the level of the rider/track, the requirements may increase.

not sure how it is out there but in the pacific northwest and most cali tracks, tech inspection just makes sure everything's tight and secure, safety wiring is generally only for the racing up here.

just call whatever track group you're using and ask about their tech inspection and whats required or not to be sure.

safety wiring is when you drill holes in all your bolts and tie em up with metal wire so they don't fall off on the track, in case you didn't know.

not sure how it is out there but in the pacific northwest and most cali tracks, tech inspection just makes sure everything's tight and secure, safety wiring is generally only for the racing up here.

just call whatever track group you're using and ask about their tech inspection and whats required or not to be sure.

safety wiring is when you drill holes in all your bolts and tie em up with metal wire so they don't fall off on the track, in case you didn't know.

Exactly.

Check with where you are going, but most entry level track riders just have to disconnect all the lights and blinkers and put tape over lenses, remove mirrors. Just check with where you go and what level you are going to be in.

It's pretty easy to get started!

Back