Seems we do a pretty good job of keeping our bikes in shape, but...

FSTZ1

We sure seem to be good at keeping our bikes in shape. But what about the riders? What do you do to stay in shape? I try to work out 3 times a week, mostly with weights, but also with exercise bike and treadmill. And then some jogging once the darn Cleveland weather warms up.

Kudos to you for doing that. I should be but have not.

I used to be in top form. When I left the Army, I was 177 lbs, 46" chest and 28" waist. I was running 5 miles a day and doing 200 pushups and situps a day. That was 24 years ago.

Today, I am 225 lbs, 48" chest and 36" gut. As mush as I hate myself, I also can't seem to get into a routine and stick with it. But I've GOT to make some changes or I'm not going to be around for my grandchildren. I don't eat all that bad, certainly not a lot of carbs, I HATE salt and no fast foods. Very little soda. I don't "look" that bad but I feel THAT bad all the time.

So, what are some tips to help motivate a 45 yr old? I know that I just need to make it happen. I think I need the DI back!

Again, good for you for the efforts! Don't ever stop!

ageing bodies

I hear you ! Me I have been working out with weights 3 times a week trying to be physically ready for the riding season. I am planning on doing some walking every weekend as well once the ice starts to clear up a bit. Nothing better than walking, or swimming to burn fat. There was a time when I could leg press 400lbs and bench press better than my own weight, but that was a long time ago.
If you want motivation then we would need a "shirts off" picture thread. I would have to upgrade my photoshop program for sure.

Last edited:
For me, nothing beats running to lose weight. I'm 33 years old and 5'10". 9 months ago, I was 202lbs. So I started running 1-2 miles 3 days a week at a 10 min pace. Slowly, I started feeling better and ran further and faster.

Now I'm running 5-8 miles a day 5 days a week at a 6:45 pace. And I've lost 35lbs! I've noticed a big difference in performance on the FZ too. So if your knees can take it, running is an awesome calorie burner.

cycling to and from work, 60km both way, 3 days a week. But must admit past couple of weeks I didn't (too cold, too wet, too slippery). An occasional armpress and pull ups and some situps, but far too few. Again as other mentioned, I was on my prime when I left the army....some time ago....seem I do not have that drive anymore to be in that shape....but still can't complain (nor does the wife so...):yes:

Ironically, this thread comes on the day of my "autopsy" (physical). I got out of there without too much damage reporting. BP, pulse and cholesterol were all great! triglycerides are off the chart. Glucose was 105 (12 hr fast) NOT GOOD! and liver function was high, also not good. I don't eat all that badly, I don't drink excessively or every day. I've never smoked in my life. Doc says my only cure is 60 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week.

I think it's time to remove all the coats from that commercial grade treadmill and my inspiration for use will be a small HD TV in front of it. Thus, if I want to watch any of my shows, I do it while ON the treadmill. Punishment for pleasure? :eek: :D

I'm waiting for when I can get my tubeless tires to hold air longer than 5 mins. Technology is a bear, but I do not have my original tubed tires to use in the interim.

Waiting for the blessing when I was promised morning trips to the gym for swimmng and light weights, but have not been given the proper clearance from high command to depart at 4:00 in the am.

Have to take this month off because I pulled a hamstring, on the mild side, I hope, but I normally jog every other day, 3 miles, in the hills around here. I do a ton of push up crunchies and sit up crunchies. About 21k pushups, and about 10k sit ups.

Above sounds like a lot, but ya get use to it. These are 'crunchies,' not the full extensions. Six days per week.

No cake, cookies, candy, sugar.

Feel great. Hope to restart jogging in a couple weeks. Hamstring is just now letting me stretch normally.

The above exercise format assists in running 160 mile non stop twistie loops five days per week. Except this past week, when I ran the weekend because couldn't sit home with good weather. So everyday last week except Mon, as the wife was pitching a fit.

Rain starting tomorrow for the next few days. Great.

I'll throw my two cents in here for what it's worth. I'm about 20 lbs lighter than I was at seventeen, I'm now 60. I never do weights or running because I see too many people my age who have litteraly worn their joints out from running and excessive lifting. I walk at least two miles a day and do all my own chores such as mowing the lawn or blowing out the drive, painting the inside or outside of the house when my wife has an urge to change color or whatever. I do eat right and watch my blood pressure. I don't drink any alcohol or smoke but I am alcoholic and used to smoke three packs a day befor I watched smoking kill my father. I've got a shady past but I decided that living was worth more than my vices and now I live a pretty clean life. One thing is for sure we all pay for our life style at some point and there's not a day that goes by and I ask myself when I'll be paying for my years of smoking and drinking. Hopefully I have at least one more good day to look forward to. It's never too late to clean your life up and you'll feel better in every way when you do.

Muscle between the ears

We sure seem to be good at keeping our bikes in shape. But what about the riders? What do you do to stay in shape? I try to work out 3 times a week, mostly with weights, but also with exercise bike and treadmill. And then some jogging once the darn Cleveland weather warms up.

We all talked about and assumed that the thread was all about the body. The mental aspect of being away from riding is just as important to address. This forum helps keep us mentally focused on riding(To the point of obsession). During the long absence from the saddle (imposed by nature) I have read a few books on riding: Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch, Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way by Reg Pridmore & Geoff Drake as well as glossing over Motorcycling Excellence. Reg Pridmore gets preachy but the Nick Ienatsch book I would recommend. Even things that you do intuitively can be improved by a little analysis. Just seeing some of the explainations as to how to better a cornering line are interesting. Most importantly it gets you thinking about doing things better and that can never be a bad thing.
Besides the books have lots of glossy pictures of bikes including Gen 1 FZ's.:bowdown:
Pridmore.jpg

sportriding.jpg

Last edited:
Good news! She liked the idea of the TV for motivation so I'm going to pick one up and put it on a shelf in front of the treadmill, Nordic Track Apex 6100. It's a commercial grade treadmill and only has about 200 foot-miles on it. I'm going to put it on a small shelf in front of the treadmill so it will be about 3' from my face. :D

$228.00 @ Wal-Mart

0084522600212_500X500.jpg

Handlebars

Good news! She liked the idea of the TV for motivation so I'm going to pick one up and put it on a shelf in front of the treadmill, Nordic Track Apex 6100. It's a commercial grade treadmill and only has about 200 foot-miles on it. I'm going to put it on a small shelf in front of the treadmill so it will be about 3' from my face. :D

$228.00 @ Wal-Mart

0084522600212_500X500.jpg

Just mount some old handlebars on the front, complete with grips, throttle, etc. Then watch youtube or go-pro videos shot from an FZ. You'll just have to remember to keep your feet still once you get back on the real thing again. :poke:

I work out 3-4 times a week. Hit the weights about twice a week for upper body and I run the rest of the time. I have also recently gotten into participating in half-marathons. Completed one and need to sign up for the one coming up. I also have a low calorie diet I follow of just random foods I like that are filling. People need to realize that working out isn't enough, you need to have a nice diet to go with the the work out. Dieting is the most important part to staying healthy.

It is important to keep not just in shape but actually have some strength with that endurance. I like a good balance. :) Plus the military helps with that.

I work out 3-4 times a week. Hit the weights about twice a week for upper body and I run the rest of the time. I have also recently gotten into participating in half-marathons. Completed one and need to sign up for the one coming up. I also have a low calorie diet I follow of just random foods I like that are filling. People need to realize that working out isn't enough, you need to have a nice diet to go with the the work out. Dieting is the most important part to staying healthy.

It is important to keep not just in shape but actually have some strength with that endurance. I like a good balance. :) Plus the military helps with that.

I used to... but I'm old and shot. I cannot run any more due to failing feet. That was from too much running those many years ago. Good for you for taking care of your self!

I don't eat that badly at all. I'm mostly chicken, pork and fish with veggies. I avoid a lot of carbs. I rarely eat bread and on the rare occasion, it is whole wheat. I used to eat a lot of ice cream but now it is also a rare and very small portioned treat. I've cut back on beer seriously. I used to work in the garage and drink several beers (never getting drunk, just kept sipping them throughout the day). Now it's a lot of water. a 6-pack of Sam's lasts two weeks. Lunches are typically salads with straight balsamic vinegar or a very low-cal soup. How am I doing? :D

At 45, it's a bit harder to get into a routine, especially after not having one for almost 10 years now. Desk job does not help much at all and it is even worse these days since I've either automated tasks or set them up for remote access so I'm stuck in my chair most of the day.

Yeah, the Army days were GREAT and I felt like a million bucks! Now, I'm feeling like $3.87 :doh2: Shame on me for letting myself get to this point. It's ONLY me that can turn it around!

Ok, has anyone considered or does anyone know someone who has done or is doing the p90x program? Yes, diet is a major part of that routine and I know it is VERY tough on you but I am curious!

p90x DOES work. I do it from time to time as I am already in the desired shape I feel like being in. I know a couple people that do it and it really does work, and yes you are correct, the diet is the most important part.

Back