Seems we do a pretty good job of keeping our bikes in shape, but...

Still at 219, 15 lbs down from the highest weight. I'll be VERY happy to keep this through the holidays. I'll have to set my sights on the next 20 lbs for next year.

Brad, you're doing something amazing here. Please stay focused and keep with it. Once it becomes routine, it is easy to keep up. The hardest part for anyone to accomplish is making it a part of our daily life and you're well on your way. Soon, it will be something you cannot live without, much like putting on a helmet to go ride! Good work!!

I sure hope so. After loosing so much weight last year I hit a wall. Running is my last ditch effort to get the last 25 pounds off.

Thanks for the support gents!

I sure hope so. After loosing so much weight last year I hit a wall. Running is my last ditch effort to get the last 25 pounds off.

Thanks for the support gents!

The wall is the one I have also hit. Because I cannot run any more, I'm going to have to get creative. How I miss running....

Still at 219, 15 lbs down from the highest weight. I'll be VERY happy to keep this through the holidays. I'll have to set my sights on the next 20 lbs for next year.

Brad, you're doing something amazing here. Please stay focused and keep with it. Once it becomes routine, it is easy to keep up. The hardest part for anyone to accomplish is making it a part of our daily life and you're well on your way. Soon, it will be something you cannot live without, much like putting on a helmet to go ride! Good work!!

Eric... grab a mountain bike man!!! Where you live I bet you have EPIC trails :stunta]:

Seriously... it is great excercise (I almost coughed up a lung this weekend) ... it is very easy on your joints (if you don't crash...often) ... and tons of fun!

If you really get into it North Conway has plenty of trails and if you get crazy highland park in northfield can't be too far for you...

Just a thought :D

Lee, I've considered that as an option. I do have a mountain bike but it's not the greatest and has no suspension front or rear. Perhaps next major purchase will be a higher quality one. Yes, we do have a ton of epic trails here and a lot of them are not that far to travel to get to. :D Excellent point!

This is a nice thread.

I am a person who has first-hand experience with obesity and the side-effects that come with it. About 5 years ago I was around 5'11" 285lbs and well on my way to a heart attack until I slowly began to change my entire outlook on food, fitness, body image and life in general. Over the next couple years I began to drop weight pretty quickly; so much so that I had to buy a new wardrobe every year nearly

At the time I type this, I usually hover around the 190-195 range and before I met my current girlfriend (we all know what relationships do to your waistline) and started riding motorcycles (another fat-maker ;)), I was in pretty good shape and sitting around 175lbs with energy to spare, and a passion for food, cooking and health. I was working my butt off at a very busy restaurant, cooking great meals for myself every day and hiking quite often.

Life is just so much better when you're fit. Not only did I feel better, perform better and just generally be a better person--I was attracting a whole new tier of women which were previously unattainable; this sure did wonders for my self-esteem!

I'm still in pretty decent shape these days, mainly thanks to my fitness-crazy girlfriend (to put it in perspective, P90X is nothing to her... it KILLS me though). The problem is, we both absolutely LOVE food and eating!

Edit: I added some photos for visualization.

One is from 2006 and one is from 2008. :Rockon:

Last edited:
Congrats Dustin! It really is a change of lifestyle, not a diet and exercise program. To me, a diet and program is something that has an end. I have to really get into this and make a change for the rest of my life.

Kudos to you for making it happen and staying healthy!

The most important thing is to embrace your new lifestyle and always look at the positives of what you are doing & where you are going.

There's so much good to be found in what you are doing, embrace it :)

The most important thing is to embrace your new lifestyle and always look at the positives of what you are doing & where you are going.

There's so much good to be found in what you are doing, embrace it :)

It is just SOOOO difficult to get to that point where the change is complete... new life style in place, and you're comfortable with it all. I have a few things against me... Bad feet and ankles, lower back troubles and a horrible love of rich foods and micro brew beers. Mind you, I do not ALWAYS eat poorly nor do I drink a lot of beer... But I need to curb it all AND start a regular daily cardio that I can build on.

I know, once it starts to take shape, it will grow all on its own. I will adapt and improve because getting healthier and stronger breeds more of the same. I was in the Army and once was a fitness gem. I long to return to at least HALF of that for the moment!

This is a nice thread.

I am a person who has first-hand experience with obesity and the side-effects that come with it. About 5 years ago I was around 5'11" 285lbs and well on my way to a heart attack until I slowly began to change my entire outlook on food, fitness, body image and life in general. Over the next couple years I began to drop weight pretty quickly; so much so that I had to buy a new wardrobe every year nearly

At the time I type this, I usually hover around the 190-195 range and before I met my current girlfriend (we all know what relationships do to your waistline) and started riding motorcycles (another fat-maker ;)), I was in pretty good shape and sitting around 175lbs with energy to spare, and a passion for food, cooking and health. I was working my butt off at a very busy restaurant, cooking great meals for myself every day and hiking quite often.

Life is just so much better when you're fit. Not only did I feel better, perform better and just generally be a better person--I was attracting a whole new tier of women which were previously unattainable; this sure did wonders for my self-esteem!

I'm still in pretty decent shape these days, mainly thanks to my fitness-crazy girlfriend (to put it in perspective, P90X is nothing to her... it KILLS me though). The problem is, we both absolutely LOVE food and eating!

Edit: I added some photos for visualization.

One is from 2006 and one is from 2008. :Rockon:

You bring up some great points how "quality" of your life is so much better...not too mention healthier. In your pics you look like a totally different person. Have to say that is one of the best parts of staying in shape though... that you can eat more of what you want! LOL But you are right that it all about the choices we make everyday...

GREAT for you man!

Lee, I've considered that as an option. I do have a mountain bike but it's not the greatest and has no suspension front or rear. Perhaps next major purchase will be a higher quality one. Yes, we do have a ton of epic trails here and a lot of them are not that far to travel to get to. :D Excellent point!

Eric... my first real mountain bike (which is the wife's now) was a Specialized FSR XC. Their entry level cross country bike that I got left over for $900 (4" Full Suspension ride).

Over time I added a better fork and disk brakes but it was a great starter bike that didn't break the bank and I beat the crap out of it for 2 years!

I had just as much fun on that as any $2K+ bike out there. And as far as excercise goes .... I don't know anyone that can spend 4 hours in the gym or on a treadmill but it is easy to do so on an MB :D

Kudos to you for taking on perhaps THE TOUGHEST workout on the market Missy!

*Note to self* Don't pi$$ off Missy... she'll kick my arse!

Lmao! :) I hesitated to buy it at first, knowing that the world is full of gimmicky CRAP that is a waste of time and money, but my body builder friends dug it as well. It really is a great workout.
Kudos to EVERYONE trying to get fit, nothing sexier then a fit motorcyclist. :)

Here is one shot of me at 260 plus. The second one is from last year at my dads wedding after loosing a little over 35 pounds. I was down to about 225 on that 2nd one. Recently gained about 10 lbs and that is when I decided to start running. Already lost about 7 since I started running. I have about 20 more to go. I want to get down to 205.

4654d1290553787-seems-we-do-pretty-good-job-keeping-our-bikes-shape-but-260plus.jpg
4655d1290553787-seems-we-do-pretty-good-job-keeping-our-bikes-shape-but-me-9.2009.jpg

P.S. My head is shaved now. That was about 6 of the 7lbs. I also save hundreds of dollars on hair styling every month too. ;)

Last edited:
Great job Brad! High kudos to you for making it happen. :tup: I'm amazed that I pick up my 1 yr old granddaughter and say "I've lost THIS much weight and still have another loss just like it left!"

Looking good!!

3rd time mountain biking in 5 days!!!

A few pics from "Vietnam" in Milford, Ma...

nam1_600.jpg

nam2_600.jpg

If it has two wheels ... I'll find a way to jump it or crash it :sinister:

Seriously... lots of pedaling in between obstacles... way to burn off the holiday feast :D

I have finished the 9 week "Couch to 5K" running program. At my current pace I am running just about 2.8 miles in 30 minutes. I will continue with 30 minute runs for the next few weeks. I hope to get to 3.2 miles in that 30 minutes. Then I will start throwing some 45 minute runs in. After that I may consider starting the "Bridge to 10K" program.

At this point I have not really lost weight. I can see a big difference in my face and in my legs. I think that through this program I have replaced a lot of fat with muscle mass in my legs, hence no weight loss. As I continue with the running and my high protein/low carb diet I expect to start seeing the weight loss become pretty rapid.

Anyway, I highly recommend this program to everyone! If you ever thought you could not run I am proof that you can.

Here is my latest photo. This was taken at my company holiday party last Wednesday. Very proud. ;)

4827d1292682575-seems-we-do-pretty-good-job-keeping-our-bikes-shape-but-christmas-party.jpg

Last edited:
Brad, you have every right to be proud and we're proud of you for sticking with the program and making it work. You two look great in the new photo!

Your statement about running is true for most but not me. I'm officially banned from running per the Doc and the VA. My ankles and feet are in terrible shape and because of that I cannot run anymore. It is sad because I used to run 5 miles a day and loved every step of it. That was (gulp) 40 lbs ago and 24 years ago. Actually 56 lbs ago but I've managed to slowly drop the last 16 lbs through portion control and daily walking. Now I have to find a way to step it up and get over this plateau!

But, back to you... I envy you and you've provided me with a new inspiration to get up and do SOMETHING every day that will make the heart pump faster. I've been looking at the stepper machines and ellipticals as an alternative. I do have a nice treadmill and can at least do some fast walking on it or set it for a steeper incline and work harder. The handrails and tether will keep me safe.

Great job Brad and congrats!!!

Back