Photo Tips, Tricks and techniques

Get Up Early!

Lighting and location are everthing. I got up at 0600 and headed out for a cold ride west to the top of Moose Mountain. I have posted pictures from up there before. It is half an hour from the house. I managed to shoot the sunrise from up there.

UpearlyOctober3.jpg

Exposure: Manual
TV: 1/13
AV: 10.0
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 200
Lens: Canon EF 28-105 F/ 3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Lenght: 28.0mm
W.B.: Auto
P.S. Landscape
Post production: convert to JPEG

SunriseonMooseMountain.jpg

Exposure: Manual
TV: 1/80
AV: 10.0
Metering: Evaluative
Lens: Canon EF 28-105 F/ 3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Lenght: 73.0mm
W.B.: Auto
P.S. Landscape
Post production: convert to JPEG

I especially liked the wookie shot (it made me laugh), what was the guy behind him doing??? Big artificial lights must be a challenge to get the colors looking right in. What lens were you shooting with?

I was shooting with my 70-200 f/4 ... which really wasn't the best lens considering it was a night game... I needed a 70-200 f/2.8 to really be able to shoot it properly... a lot of the differences in color are done on purpose in post processing...

Experimenting with HDR

HDRFZ1.jpg

Using HDR Photomerge Pro I merged 3 shots that were 2 F stops in each direction from the correct exposure. Boosted the saturation and vibrance and removed the ghosting (auto). This was the finished result. It is meant to have a surreal look.

I like the foreground... but the sky is odd... the clouds have become mostly blue.... on my HDR stuff that I've played around with recently, I've been creating another layer for the sky, and leaving that layer alone... other than bumping the contrast a little bit...

Layers

I had a very brief lesson in creating and working with layers from my brother in law (the graphic designer). I just have not had time to play around and practise yet. I know what you mean about the clouds. I was just happy that it came out better than my first attempt. I think I will bracket shots with a slightly wider spread for the next try.

This morning I figured out how to fix the white balance and style settings on RAW shots with the Canon softwear. I forget to check settings from time to time, but I am becoming more diciplined. Bought a book on working with RAW, "Camera Raw working with Adobe CS5" by Real World. Over the next months I will be experimenting with a lot of different type of shots and conditions to see how much I can learn.

Whoops... all of those are pretty much the same settings... f/11... shutter 1/6sec... ISO100.... as for post processing.... just a simple saturation boost... a little increase in contrast.... and that's it.

Tried my hand at Posterizing

I converted a shot into black and White, then posterized (playing with the levels) and added lens flare (that wasn't really there). I liked the final product, it's my new desktop at home. The FZ shot from November B.O.M. is my Work desktop.

BWArt.jpg

The posterized shot

FallslastHoorah2010.jpg

The original;
TV: 1/80
AV: 10
Lens: EF 28-105 f 3.5-4.5 USM
Focal Length: 105mm
RAW
WB: Auto
PS: Landscape
AF: one shot auto focus

Played around with some HDR today...
Untitled_HDR2.jpg

Camera: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 7D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 8mm
Flash Used: No
Latitude: n/a
Longitude: n/a
less info

and played around a good bit with my rented UWA...
IMG_1065.jpg

Filename: IMG_1065.jpg
Exposure: 1/320 sec

IMG_1055.jpg

Filename: IMG_1055.jpg
Exposure: 1/1000 sec

and last night.... 29 1 minute exposures... stacked....

Startrails.jpg

Exposure time : 29 Minutes
Aperture: f/5
ISO 100

Played around with some HDR today...
Untitled_HDR2.jpg

Exposure: 1/100 sec
less info

and played around a good bit with my rented UWA...
IMG_1065.jpg

Filename: IMG_1065.jpg
Exposure: 1/320 sec

IMG_1055.jpg

Filename: IMG_1055.jpg
Exposure: 1/1000 sec

and last night.... 29 1 minute exposures... stacked....

Startrails.jpg

Exposure time : 29 Minutes
Aperture: f/5
ISO 100

Lord God, I really must get the heck out of NY!! Great shots Aaron, as always.

November sky

Photopaintinghwy66.jpg

I was out shooting in early morning. I took 3 shots 2 steps each side of correct exposure and used HDR photomerge to get the sky's detail to show.

The center shot was;

TV: 1/25
AV: 10
Lens: 28-105
Focal length: 28mm
Daylight setting
PS: Neutral

Back