Photo Tips, Tricks and techniques

A similar thread has been very informative and helpful on the other forum... let's give it a shot here...

I know many folks have digital cameras on here... some point and shoot, some DSLR... regardless of the camera you have, there's always room to grow and learn as a photographer.

Use this thread to just share your shots, talk technique, or ask questions on how to make your snapshots become more thought-out photographs.

If asking for help on technique, please post your EXIF data from the camera, and explain what you're trying to do. If you're providing tips... please do the same.

To start things off... a few of my favorite shots:

Landscapes / Buildings:
IMG_1291.JPG

Shot with Tokina 12-24
Filename: IMG_1291.JPG
Camera: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 7D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Length: 12mm
Flash Used: No

IMG_1538.JPG

Shot with Canon 24-105L
Filename: IMG_1538.JPG
Exposure: 1/1600 sec
Focal Length: 24mm

Water Shots:
IMG_1683.JPG

Tokina 12-24
Filename: IMG_1683.JPG
Exposure: 0.6 sec
Aperture: 22.0

IMG_1688.JPG

Tokina 12-24
Filename: IMG_1688.JPG
Exposure: 0.6 sec
Aperture: 22.0

Nature / Animals :
IMG_3685.JPG

Canon 24-105L
Filename: IMG_3685.JPG
ISO: 3200
Exposure: 1/1000 sec
Focal Length: 105mm

IMG_1629.JPG

Canon 24-105L
Filename: IMG_1629.JPG
ISO: 125
Exposure: 1/160 sec
Focal Length: 105mm

Sports / Action:
IMG_5576.JPG

Canon 70-200 f/4L
Filename: IMG_5576.JPG
ISO: 160
Focal Length: 84mm

IMG_4995.JPG

Canon 70-200 f/4L
Filename: IMG_4995.JPG
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 126mm

People / portrait:
IMG_0138.jpg

Canon 50mm f/1.8
Filename: IMG_0138.jpg
Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
ISO: 250
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 1.8
Focal Length: 50mm

IMG_2493.jpg

Tokina 12-24
Filename: IMG_2493.jpg
ISO: 1250
Exposure: 1/15 sec

Night Shots:

IMG_0163-1.jpg

Canon 18-55 Kit Lens
Filename: IMG_0163-1.jpg
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 29mm

IMG_1426.jpg

Tokina 12-24
Filename: IMG_1426.jpg
Exposure: 25.0 sec
Aperture: 16.0

Last edited:
I am very interested in learning to use the HDR function with my CS5 photoshop. I keep forgetting to bracket the shots.

Nice shots and great idea.

HDR is interesting... the hardest parts is finding a subject to shoot with a proper amount of dynamic range... I lot of times, I'll forgo HDR and do some one mapping instead... which really comes in handy if you only have a single shot to work with... such as an action shot... none of the above shots are HDR... but several are tone-mapped.

HDR is interesting... the hardest parts is finding a subject to shoot with a proper amount of dynamic range... I lot of times, I'll forgo HDR and do some one mapping instead... which really comes in handy if you only have a single shot to work with... such as an action shot... none of the above shots are HDR... but several are tone-mapped.

Where do you find the tone mapping function in photoshop, or is it an add on feature?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight and post the results (if they aren't embarassing). How about some info for each of the shots in the first post, like F-stop, shutter speed, Lens used, etc. I am definately paying attention.

Tone Map Experiment

tonemap1FZ1.jpg

Lens: Canon EF 28-105 F3.5-4.5USM
Focal Lenght: 28.0mm
Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T1i
TV:1/160
AV: 4.0
Flash: Off
WB: Daylight
P.S.: Landscape

Post production: Tone mapped in Photoshop (my first attempt).

Not bad for a first attempt OldSchool... you'll notice a good bit of halo surrounding the bike and the trees, as well as a odd looking sky... if you use your layers, you can create a layer containing just the bike... and tone map that, while leaving the background normal... it's a bit of a pain to select the bike... but if you're patient with it... it's doable...

Not bad for a first attempt OldSchool... you'll notice a good bit of halo surrounding the bike and the trees, as well as a odd looking sky... if you use your layers, you can create a layer containing just the bike... and tone map that, while leaving the background normal... it's a bit of a pain to select the bike... but if you're patient with it... it's doable...

Thanks VA, I played around with it for quite a while, and settled for what you see. The layer selection is very time consuming since the auto select is so inacurate. I am just starting to use layers. Winter will see me practising, and reading up on how to use the expensive photoshop program.

What helps me a lot for the precise movements in PhotoShop is my Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet.... it runs about 60 bucks at staples... so you can likely get it somewhere online for less than that.... it's proven to be invaluable for those precise movements... or tracing...

What helps me a lot for the precise movements in PhotoShop is my Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet.... it runs about 60 bucks at staples... so you can likely get it somewhere online for less than that.... it's proven to be invaluable for those precise movements... or tracing...

There is one sitting on the desk beside me, a model: CTH-460 that I bought for my daughter. I have never used it, might have to try.

Here are a few from the 35mm era taken with an Canon Elan 7n then transfered onto CD. They seem to lose a bit in translation.

LondonBridge.jpg

Tower bride taken from London Bridge using the rail to steady the shot as it was full dark.

QuadraIslandoldbridge.jpg

An old pier on Quadra Island just off the coast of Vancouver Island near Campbell River.
The only trick for this shot was to get where I shot it from I had to walk along the lengthwise beams following the nails as the wood was so rotten that your foot would go right through the planks.

RedRockCanyon.jpg

Red Rock Canyon in Waterton National Park, Alberta. Early morning is the only time to get the real beauty shots, this was taken early afternoon.

Emerallakeinwinter.jpg

Emerald Lake in Winter, (the stream that feeds it). Taken from the foot bridge that leads to the lodge.

Last edited:
After looking at the shots from Aaron and Lee, the only thing I have determined is that my camera isn't adequate and I need something with more adjustments.

I have the Sony DSC-H9 and I've tried to get 100 ISO or 1/1000 Exposure out of it and it doesn't appear the camera is capable unless I am missing something. The manual for the camera is horrid, the same as all Sony cameras.

I want one of the new digital SLR cameras but cannot afford anything close to a 7D. For you all that take pics, what is a good "middle of the road" $500 - $750 camera that will take the settings like Aaron has posted for action and water shots?

Or, maybe I can trade in an almost new Yamaha C3 scooter for a 7D camera!!! :D

Pretty much any base level DSLR will allow much more control than you have with a simple point and shoot... the reason I picked the 7d was for its wicked fast AF system... you'd be hard pressed to find a camera with better / faster AF tracking....

I will say.. getting into a DSLR properly requires a bit of money... the T1I / T2I would be a good entry level body... but then you'll want a fast lens for action shots... a 70-200 is the cheapest high quality option... and it runs about $500 ... you could buy a 55-250.... but the constant aperture of the 70-200 is hard to beat....

Eric... if you really want to get into it... register over at the POTN forum... hang out in the classifieds looking for a deal on a used body... maybe a 30d or 40d.. then a 50mm f/1.8 or 18-55 IS kit lens... that'll get you started.... then add lenses as needed....

I had to shoot women's Rugby this morning for the paper.... man... it's getting cold here already... but... Rugby was interesting... the lighting was CRAP... but here are a few of my favorites.

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

Back