Official YZF Makeover Thread

it's killing me not having my bike yet with these damn parts staring at me!! :frown:

I know how you feel. I was dying having all these parts in my house all over the place....tires, calipers, tools, body panels, etc. I was happy this morning that I was able to ride the house of everything except the rear body panels. I can see my kitchen table again!!!

Thanks Pete, I got a bunch of things accomplished today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have your calipers on and bled with the new Russell Braided Lines. I also want to get that front sprocket off and get the conversion kit installed. I called the powdercoater today and of course the exhaust won't be ready until Monday now! I hate when someone tells you one day and then it winds up being another 3 days! You'd think that he would get it done when he said considering it's my first time there. That screws up my whole "to do" list now. I could have had the exhaust, radiator, and RS-3 installed tomorrow. Now I have to wait until next Saturday. :waiting:

Ehh...it is what it is. They'll be ready soon.

Wow Billy, you worked hard. All I managed to do was wire up and install my GPS unit. Tomorrow will be a different story.

Thanks Lee. I can't say that I'm not feeling it right about now. My hands are literally killing me! Just typing hurts. All that scrubbing in tight places has taken a toll on my fingers. Thank the Lord all I have left to clean is the oil pan which is pretty flat. After that I only have to install parts back on it.

It would be well worth the money to spend about $50 or $60 bucks to go to a professional masseuse and have them focus on your hands, forearms and shoulders from this work on the bike.

Will they do that for you? I never went so I'm not up on that stuff.

there is a franchise in my area called "My Chiro". They do walk in chiro adjustments but they also has massage therapists there. I was given a give certificate for an hr massage and it cost like $40 bucks actually now that I think back. She asked if I wanted full massage or if there were problem areas I needed worked on.

Did he look excited or exhausted? ;)

Oh he's definitely tired. I have the feeling he'll be done early today, especially since tomorrow the work week starts all over again. I'm thinking in another couple of weeks he'll be riding ;)

He's still waiting on the exhaust to be finished so I'm not sure he'll have much to do today other than the chain and brakes.

I'm glad he's back to 9 - 5 with weekends off. How long is the ride over to your place for him?

So the coater didn't get the job done yesterday for him? He said it was in the oven and it doesn't take all day to bake.... what's up with that? :rolleyes:

I'm glad he's back to 9 - 5 with weekends off. How long is the ride over to your place for him?

So the coater didn't get the job done yesterday for him? He said it was in the oven and it doesn't take all day to bake.... what's up with that? :rolleyes:

It's less than 20 miles so with light traffic about a half hour. The only catch is coming across the GW Bridge so you never know aht can happen traffic wise. Luckily on Sunday mornings it's usually not bad at all.

Yea, the guy gave him some story about it "being in the oven". Personally I think he either didn't want to open yesterday so Billy could pick it up or really hasn't gotten to it yet...

Today was a good day in the garage. I headed over to New Jersey first thing this morning to pick up The YZF Service Manual from Tony as well as the nice set of Russell Braided Lines and some misc. hardware that I needed. Thanks Tony, I appreciate it! I was back in NY by 9am and jumped right into the garage. Things I accomplished today:

Installed FZ1 Front Brake Calipers

Removed Old Front Sprocket

Installed New 530 Front Sprocket

Installed RK 530 Chain

Chain Guard

Left Rear Body Panel

Sprocket Cover

Rearset and Kickstand

Lower Fairing Bracket

Cleaned Underneath Motor

Installed EXUP Cables At Servo

Removed Old Brake Fluid

Installed Braided Lines

Bled Front Brakes

And now for all the pictures......

A big thank you to Tony for the Manual and Lines. They will both come in handy.

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

I have to thank Pete for the GenII Brake Calipers. They look sweet with the Silver Discs!
IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

I used the old 532 chain to remove the front sprocket. I laid down some clean rags both top and bottom of the swingarm, ran the old chain around and used a 6" C-clamp to lock the chain to the swingarm. I hit the nut with the impact wrench and it came off instantly.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

Next I installed the new sprocket and washer and again used the old chain to secure it in place. A few hits with the impact wrench and the new sprocket was done.

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Once finished with that I broke out the new RK 530 X-Ring Chain and ran it around the sprockets. I set up the new Motion Pro Chain Tool for the first time and it worked flawlessly.

New link in place and ready for the plate to be pressed on.
IMG_2879.jpg

I lined up the tool with the "P" in line with the word "Press"
IMG_2881.jpg

It's clamped onto the chain with the new plate in place.
IMG_2882.jpg

It gets torqued down with a 17MM wrench until the rivets come all the way through.
IMG_2884.jpg

Now you change the bottom block so that the "R" is in line with "Rivet" and insert the "square" die up top. This will sqaure off the rivet to match all the other rivets on the chain.
IMG_2885.jpg

Now it's just a matter of tightening down on the tool.
IMG_2886.jpg

New chain installed. On to the next thing!
IMG_2887.jpg

I installed the new chain guard next. If the previous owner had one of these I wouldn't of had to do all this cleaning.
IMG_2888.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

Looking good so far. Progress is being made slowly but surely.

There are still some spots I want to clean. It seems that every time I shine the light somewhere new I find more dirt!
IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

I took a break to install the left rear body panel. The right rear will go on after I drain and replace the rear brake fluid.
IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

Next up was the front sprocket cover. I coated the case with some gasket cement and it went on easily.
IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

I followed that with the rearset and gear shift lever.
IMG_2906.jpg

I cleaned up the kickstand assembly and installed that along with the kickstand switch.
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

I removed the rusty lower fairing bracket and sanded it down and painted it with flat black rust protection paint.
IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

While the bracket was drying I got started on cleaning the underside of the engine. It came out as good as I could get it. My 50 year old hands have taken a beating on this build and they hurt like hell.
IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

I took the EXUP Cables and routed them where I think they should be, but I'm not sure. I may have to wait for Tony to come by and check it out for me. They are at least connected again to the servo.
IMG_2917.jpg

The bracket was dry so I installed it. I won't have to worry about it rusting again.
IMG_2919.jpg

Almost done for today. Time to suck that black stuff out of the brake reservoir and install some fresh brake fluid. I got this Stockton Kit from CycleGear and it's by far much better than the Harbor Freight unit.
IMG_2920.jpg

The nipples are so nice. They clip on to the bleeder nipple with a nice, tight fit.
IMG_2921.jpg

After three times pumping, the old fluid was gone from the system.
IMG_2922.jpg

Here's the crap that was inside the reservoir.
IMG_2923.jpg

I then installed the Russell Braided Lines. They fit nice and I used all but 2 of the original hold-downs. I like that they are also "coated" on the outside of the line.
IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

After the lines were done I used the bleeder to install the new fluid and bleed the system. It took only three rounds on each side, starting from the furthest caliper but after that, the brake lever was hard as a rock! Way harder than my FZ1 ever was. I tested them by rolling the bike forward and it took only a slight pull of one finger to stop the bike. Quite nice I'd say. Here's the way the brake reservoir SHOULD look...
IMG_2929.jpg

So that was it for this weekend. I got a ton of work finished and only have about one more solid weekend to go before she's off to the tuner. Thanks for looking and I'll get some more pics up the coming weekend.

Back