Official YZF Makeover Thread

It's Saturday, and I was in the garage at 6:50am sharp. I wanted to remove the front wheel in hopes of having the Bridgestones mounted today. I also wanted to get the forks, front of engine, and exhaust headers as clean as possible.

The front wheel came off quickly after some finagling with the front stand. Because of the "lip" that sits below the fork tube, you can't get to the pinch bolt to loosen it. I broke out the jack again and I was in business.
IMG_2726.jpg

The front wheel is as all other parts of the bike.....neglected!
IMG_2727.jpg

I broke out the kerosene and started cleaning the fork bottoms and whatever else I could reach. After a while, it was as clean as I could get it for the moment.
IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

I cleaned up the rear section of the front fender.
IMG_2731.jpg

I tried to clean the front of the motor the best I could but I guess the kerosene fumes had gotten to me and I wasn't feeling that good. I opened the door for a while to get some fresh air and I felt better.
IMG_2734.jpg

I cleaned up the gear shift and rear set and polished it up with some Eagle One Never Dull.
IMG_2736.jpg

I left for a while and brought the tires and rims over to a shop to see if I could get a good price on mounting. I was able to get the price down to $65.00 cash for the pair which was only $15 dollars more than last year and I didn't have to travel so far so it was worth it. I got back in an hour and sat down and started sanding down the headers. It wasn't that hard and the light gray coating sanded off easily. I concentrated on the mid-pipe section and before long it was cleaned bare. I then scrubbed it with the Never Dull and buffed it out. I'm still not sure if I'm leaving them polished or spraying them flat black with the header paint.
IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

I decided to take a break cause I still wasn't feeling that good so Richie helped me get the newly mounted wheels upstairs so I could clean, polish, and touch up the lettering. I also need to install the DynaBeads once they dry out.

The front cleaned up really nice.
IMG_2741.jpg

The guy installed my Angled Valve Stems for me and they look great!
IMG_2743.jpg

Here's the rear wheel. It still has that substance spilled on it that won't come off no matter what I use. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it off. It's really bothering me!:looseit:
IMG_2746.jpg
\

And lastly the rear valve installed.
IMG_2745.jpg

Later on tomorrow I'll install the DynaBeads in both tires. I have already removed the needles from both stems and emptied the air from both. I'll let it sit overnight to let any moisture to dry up as to not interfere with the operation of the beads. I'm going to try to get back from the Island early tomorrow to maybe finish the headers. Until then take care and thanks for looking!

The red letters look great! cant wait to see them on the bike. have you look into any rim stripes yet? I looked and i got mine from dunstin graphics. they stayed on very well it was kind of a pain to get them off but they did come off and left no trace they were ever there. i think if the rest of the header comes out like the section you have done i would leave it like that. great work so far you attention to the detail really shows.

The red letters look great! cant wait to see them on the bike. have you look into any rim stripes yet? I looked and i got mine from dunstin graphics. they stayed on very well it was kind of a pain to get them off but they did come off and left no trace they were ever there. i think if the rest of the header comes out like the section you have done i would leave it like that. great work so far you attention to the detail really shows.

That's where I got mine from as well. He makes really good strip kits and has great customer service but I couldn't find him on Ebay last I checked. I'm gonna go and see if he has a reagular website now to order them. I think I'm gonna go with the lighter gray to match the two tone bodywork. I'll let you know what I find out.

I just looked myself, it good to see his prices are still low. when i got mine he sent the color i ordered and a few samples to see what was the best match and said i could return what i ordered if the sample was a better match. I agree about the service.

Last edited:
Yep! Just ordered mine. I got the "Yamaha Racing" in silver. Bill is a good guy. When I bought my first set from him he had just started on Ebay. I guess things took off for him and he got himself his own site. Good for him!

Great job Billy. :tup: I'm not going as in-depth as you but I did on both sets of wheels and the entire rear sprocket assembly on both the bikes. I'm thinking next year, I'll do one in great detail and then the following year, do the other. Two is just too much at once! The YZF is looking better by the picture! She's sure to thank you and give you the best ride she can offer soon! :D

Cruisin' along . . . .

Gosh Billy, you have that rascal beaming !! It hasn't been that spic 'n span in years . . . .. looking spiffy my friend!!
Ohh, if the Kero fumes get too bad, do what I do. Get plenty of clean fresh air going, turn the radio over to some soft classical music, and then get yourself a Malibu RUM/diet COKE (over ice in a large styrofoam cup works best) kick back for 20 minutes and you're back to your old self in no time . . ... . .. . :tup: polishing, cleaning, buffing, and on, and on, and ohh,ohh, time for another RUM/COKE . . . ... :+1:

Does his stripes come with the tool that places them perfectly around the rim? Great looking stuff and the price is right. No one has any issues with these coming off at all?

No, there is no tool for applying. I haven't seen one. Is there such a tool? I fully vouch for the quality of his stripes. They are made of great material and go on easy a 1/4 stripe at a time. He will also put anything in print if you ask and it's not much more money. I think $14 or $15.99 for the custom stripes. Still a bargain if you ask me.

Gosh Billy, you have that rascal beaming !! It hasn't been that spic 'n span in years . . . .. looking spiffy my friend!!
Ohh, if the Kero fumes get too bad, do what I do. Get plenty of clean fresh air going, turn the radio over to some soft classical music, and then get yourself a Malibu RUM/diet COKE (over ice in a large styrofoam cup works best) kick back for 20 minutes and you're back to your old self in no time . . ... . .. . :tup: polishing, cleaning, buffing, and on, and on, and ohh,ohh, time for another RUM/COKE . . . ... :+1:

Thanks Gary. I think it's because I had no dinner last night and I got right back down there today without breakfast. Empty stomach + kerosene fumes =:drools:

You have to watch out for those fumes. Proper ventilation for sure. The bike is looking better all the time!!!!

Thanks Lee. I know. I got carried away for sure. This bike has "consumed" me the last three weeks. True story: My boss comes up to me on Thursday and asks me why I didn't cash last week's paycheck? I look at him and wonder what he's talking about. I start thinking and couldn't remember at all. So I go home and take the rear YZF body panel off my bureau in the livingroom, dig through some papers and sure enough, there is last week's paycheck sitting there! I totally forgot to cash it. I've been so pre-occupied lately with this rebuild. I need to take a break for a couple of days and rest. That's why tomorrow I'm heading out to Long Island to see my new Great Nephew......and to pick up my Harbor Freight M/C trailer of course!!! Hahaha!!

But seriously, a little break would be good.

Does his stripes come with the tool that places them perfectly around the rim? Great looking stuff and the price is right. No one has any issues with these coming off at all?

Being precurved they go on pretty smooth. mine were on over 3 year and were still on solid. no curl on the ends or any other issues.

Bill, I am really impressed with the level of detail that you have gone through with the YZF nothing has been over looked and no short cuts. It looks great and I can not wait to see finished product. If you are ever bored and want to hang out in PA I have an extra room, a cool garage and Ducati 999 that I need to go through and clean up. ;-)

Bill, I am really impressed with the level of detail that you have gone through with the YZF nothing has been over looked and no short cuts. It looks great and I can not wait to see finished product. If you are ever bored and want to hang out in PA I have an extra room, a cool garage and Ducati 999 that I need to go through and clean up. ;-)

Thanks Pete! And don't worry cause this year Richie goes away to college which means I'll have a lot of free time. I just picked up my new trailer today from Harbor Freight so now I'll be able to just throw the bike up on it and go wherever I want!!!

Back