Official YZF Makeover Thread

The shop ill be using only uses the beads to balance motorcycle wheels, partly because he does not have room for anymore equipment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well, some more packages came to the job today. A spiffy set of GenII brake calipers with the silver discs, compliments of Hellgate (Pete), and my Motion Pro Chain Install Tool.

IMG_2775.jpg

I sent the headers over to the coater today and they will be ceramic coated in flat black and back to me by Friday. I also called Partshark and they informed me that my new bar ends and the very last set of gaskets that I've been waiting for will ship out today. That means that by Friday evening I will have every single part on my list ready to go! I'm on the home stretch now with the rebuild. I will change the oil and spark plugs Friday night so that Saturday I can spend rebuilding the bike. With any luck, Tony will be able to pass by on Sunday to help me with the build. I still need to find out if I have the socket for the front sprocket nut. Once that is off everything will go back onto the bike. I hope that my wheel stripes get here before Friday so I can get the wheels back together before the weekend. I only need to do my forks which is an easy deal and get some of the bodywork back on to get ready for the trip to Ivan's where he will install the proper jet kit and tune my baby up!

Just an add-on, I finished cleaning up the rear brake rotor.
IMG_2778.jpg

Last edited:
Those calipers are going to look great on there! Sunday is not looking good all of a sudden for me, but let me see what I can work out. I want to get the stuff that I have out to you, especially the brake lines.

Those calipers are going to look great on there! Sunday is not looking good all of a sudden for me, but let me see what I can work out. I want to get the stuff that I have out to you, especially the brake lines.

Don't worry Tony, maybe me and Richiue could run over to you early Sunday and pick the stuff up from you. Also, by chance do you have the socket for the front sprocket nut that I may borrow??? Or if not do you know the size?? Thanks.

Don't worry Tony, maybe me and Richiue could run over to you early Sunday and pick the stuff up from you. Also, by chance do you have the socket for the front sprocket nut that I may borrow??? Or if not do you know the size?? Thanks.

That could work as well. I don't know the size of it off hand as I didn't replace my sprockets. Take your digital calipers and measure that nut. I believe I have 32mm and 36mm sockets, but will verify later. One of those should work...

These are the "Before" photos of the left side fan which was terribly rusty. I thought about replacing it but it works just fine so I decided to clean it up.
IMG_2783.jpg

I sanded as much loose rust and flaking paint as I could so tomorrow I will hit it with the Header Paint that I was going to use on the exhaust. Because they are being Ceramic Coated now I may as well use the paint. It also have a rust inhibitor to stop rust.
IMG_2783.jpg

As I sat looking at the EXUP Valve I noticed that the pulley was facing the wrong way. I remember on the FZ1 that the "U-Channel" had to sit over the little "hole" and held in place with an allen key for adjustment. Mine was facing the opposite direction so I removed it and turned it around the right way. Now I need to check the valve itself to make sure that it is in the proper direction.
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow to drill out the broken bolts that are left to hold the dust cover in place. They will be tapped as well.

It shouldn't be too bad to drill and tap those two bolts, especially since those holes are not blind.

As for the pulley it's actually missing a chunk, but the cables should still stay put. It's supposed to look like this:

attachment.php

Well that sucks!, Hey, you wouldn't have a photo of how the valve is sitting when the pulley is in that particular position would you?? That would help me out big time. Also, I have the socket. It's either 1-1/4" or 32MM. Either fit really well so I'm good. I'll see you Sunday morning first thing. Thanks!

I have to say that you are quite the ambitious person. That bike is going to be showroom quality by the time you are done.

Looks like a lot of work but it will all be worth it in the end.
Good job so far :)

Thanks RI, not quite sure that I'll be able to call it "showroom" but if I can just have it close to how the FZ1 was I'll be happy!

Thanks "ball", it has been alot of work but at least now it's mostly small things and reinstalling all the clean parts. Even though the bike is still literally just a frame and motor, it's only a matter of working backwards now and putting everything back together. I figure it will take me three more solid days of work to put her back together. That's if I'm doing it alone. I will say one thing.....it's so much nicer grabbing parts now and not having to clean grease and grime off your hands!

It shouldn't be too bad to drill and tap those two bolts, especially since those holes are not blind.

As for the pulley it's actually missing a chunk, but the cables should still stay put. It's supposed to look like this:

attachment.php

I checked and your right. It is missing a piece which must have broken off. I do have the cables upstairs and I checked them out and since they pull opposite of the "break", they can't pull out from the pulley. I also found the diagram of the EXUP assembly so I don't need the other shot of the valve. I see which way it needs to sit. Thanks Tony for all the help!

I checked and your right. It is missing a piece which must have broken off. I do have the cables upstairs and I checked them out and since they pull opposite of the "break", they can't pull out from the pulley. I also found the diagram of the EXUP assembly so I don't need the other shot of the valve. I see which way it needs to sit. Thanks Tony for all the help!

No problem. There's really only one way that the valve can sit and it will be quite apparent when you're putting it all back together. That's good that that pulley will work as it's quite expensive for such a little part...

Well that sucks!, Hey, you wouldn't have a photo of how the valve is sitting when the pulley is in that particular position would you?? That would help me out big time. Also, I have the socket. It's either 1-1/4" or 32MM. Either fit really well so I'm good. I'll see you Sunday morning first thing. Thanks!

Yea, 32mm sounds like the right size from what I remember...

And by the way I checked the manual and the sprocket nut gets torqued to 58 ft/lb.

Back