Official YZF Makeover Thread

And Now For Something Entirely Different!

So after a dismal day yesterday I decided to take a break, let my mind clear from all the kerosene fumes, and concentrate on other things. I left the house early with Richie today and headed for Long Island. First we stopped at Billy Joel's Motorcycle Museum in Oyster Bay, LI. True to form, it was CLOSED!!! I can't catch a break sometimes. So we shot some pics from the window.
IMG_2748.jpg

This is the Bobber that OCC did for him on the show last year. It looked pretty cool in the window.
IMG_2750.jpg

From there we headed south to Hempstead, LI to Harbor Freight to see if they would honor my 20% coupon that my friend gave me. I was worried that the trailer was already on sale and the coupon states that it can't be used in conjunction with any other sale. I went in and went straight to the manager and she assured me that I could use it so $239.00 dollars later I finally have my trailer!
HarborFreightTrailer.jpg

From there we headed to Merrick, LI to my nephew's house to finally meet my first Great Nephew, John Anthony Frank. He was a bundle of joy and it was great to just hold and feed him. It brought back distant memories of Richie and when marraige was good.
IMG_2752.jpg

So we had a blast of a day even if I was away from my project. I couldn't wait however to get home because at Harbor Freight I also picked up some scotch brite pads to do the brake rotors with! Hahaha!!! I'm going to eat something and relax and install the DynaBeads, clean the rotors and assemble the wheels upstairs while watching some racing on TV. I'll post some more picks later on! I hope everyone had a safe, enjoyable day!

Picture is sweet

So after a dismal day yesterday I decided to take a break, let my mind clear from all the kerosene fumes, and concentrate on other things. I left the house early with Richie today and headed for Long Island. First we stopped at Billy Joel's Motorcycle Museum in Oyster Bay, LI. True to form, it was CLOSED!!! I can't catch a break sometimes. So we shot some pics from the window.
IMG_2748.jpg

This is the Bobber that OCC did for him on the show last year. It looked pretty cool in the window.
IMG_2750.jpg

From there we headed south to Hempstead, LI to Harbor Freight to see if they would honor my 20% coupon that my friend gave me. I was worried that the trailer was already on sale and the coupon states that it can't be used in conjunction with any other sale. I went in and went straight to the manager and she assured me that I could use it so $239.00 dollars later I finally have my trailer!
HarborFreightTrailer.jpg

From there we headed to Merrick, LI to my nephew's house to finally meet my first Great Nephew, John Anthony Frank. He was a bundle of joy and it was great to just hold and feed him. It brought back distant memories of Richie and when marraige was good.
IMG_2752.jpg

So we had a blast of a day even if I was away from my project. I couldn't wait however to get home because at Harbor Freight I also picked up some scotch brite pads to do the brake rotors with! Hahaha!!! I'm going to eat something and relax and install the DynaBeads, clean the rotors and assemble the wheels upstairs while watching some racing on TV. I'll post some more picks later on! I hope everyone had a safe, enjoyable day!

Hey Billy, that's a great picture! He has more hair than you and I do--combined !! Thanks for sharing . . ..:party0011:

Another small setback today. I sat down to do the DynaBead installation but hit a snag. It seems that the new Angled Valve Stems have a different setup than your normal valve stem. The beads can not pass the turn in the stem due to whatever mechanism is present in them. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to break the bead on one portion of the tire to insert them through there. I guess I'll just scotch brite the rotors now. : oops:

Im curious Bill why not just have them balanced with conventional stick on weights?

I know, I get that all the time. I guess I could but I hate having weights on the rims. There's my "anal" side again. Ever since I started using the beads I just love how simple they are and how effectively they balance your tires. They take just minutes to install and no need for checking, adding weight, checking again, adding weight, checking..etc. Just pour them in, fill the tire with air, and your good to go. Not the slightest sign of a bump or wiggle during triple digit runs.....not that I had many triple digit runs.: oops:

I know, I get that all the time. I guess I could but I hate having weights on the rims. There's my "anal" side again. Ever since I started using the beads I just love how simple they are and how effectively they balance your tires. They take just minutes to install and no need for checking, adding weight, checking again, adding weight, checking..etc. Just pour them in, fill the tire with air, and your good to go. Not the slightest sign of a bump or wiggle during triple digit runs.....not that I had many triple digit runs.: oops:

Makes sense, I will have to give them a try with the next set of tires. I really dont like the look either, in the past I have used a paint marker and colored the weights to match the rims.

Makes sense, I will have to give them a try with the next set of tires. I really dont like the look either, in the past I have used a paint marker and colored the weights to match the rims.

I liked the ones that came off these rims. I assume that they were from the factory. They weren't "stick ons" they were "clamp on" style weights, but I figured whats the cahnces of them being the correct weight for these tires. Tomorrow I will have Richie sit on the wood stand I have for the bike to break the bead in just one small section of the tire, enough to get the small hose in. Then I'll just re-inflate them to set the bead.

Hopefully the rim stripes come in while they are still of the bike. it wasnt a set back if you look at it like that. I have never hurd of the beads you talk of but i deffently want to try them some day. lucky for me the last removal,mount, and ballance for both tires was only $25. Also congrats on the new addition to the family!

Last edited:
I'm sure glad I read this post...Got my Dynabeads in the other day. Unfortunately the tires are already on the bike and I also have the 90 degree valve stems. Looks like I am going to have a weekend project now! :woot:

I'm sure glad I read this post...Got my Dynabeads in the other day. Unfortunately the tires are already on the bike and I also have the 90 degree valve stems. Looks like I am going to have a weekend project now! :woot:

Well it's funny you posted now cause I just got home and I was quite busy at work today. I guess you can call it the benefit of working at a lumber yard. I took with me the stand my friend fabbed up for me to prop the bike up while I removed the swingarm and modified it to be my new Bead Breaker Tool! I'm back in business. I'll be just breaking the bead ever so slightly to insert the hose and install the beads. It cost me zero dollars and about 5 bucks in materials. You can't beat that. I'll be spooning my own tires on from now on!

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

My buddy also went to CycleGear yesterday while bringing his son back to college and picked me up the Fork Oil Gauge Tool. I'm pretty good now. Because of the holiday, my Motion Pro Chain Tool will be here tomorrow.
IMG_2768.jpg

Time to install some beads!!
IMG_2763.jpg

Nice work Billy! Great idea to dual-purpose the stand. If you put on a bigger base and a rod to hold the wheels locked in place.... ;)

Oh, and some pics of the end result of that chain tool riveting? :tup:

Nice work Billy! Great idea to dual-purpose the stand. If you put on a bigger base and a rod to hold the wheels locked in place.... ;)

Oh, and some pics of the end result of that chain tool riveting? :tup:

Definitely bud. I think I'll be doing a video on the Chain Tool. As for the stand, it was a last minute thought before I left the house this morning. For now I'll lay down some heavy cardboard and Richie will stand on the base for support. I only need to break it enough to insert the hose. In the future I will extend the base "forward" only so the tire will rest on it and use itself as resistance to the lever................I think????

The makeshift bead breaker worked fine. I did have to lift Richie off the floor a couple of times but before long the bead broke with no problems. I inserted the Dynabeads into each and re-inflated them up. They are both done with no leaks and the beads are running around smoothly. Another thing to scratch off my list!

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

And to all you happily married guys out there, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME....at least not upstairs in the house!
IMG_2773.jpg

On to the next task!

Damn Billy. I've been off the net for a while and what a progress you made. Well done! You encourage me to take my Gixxer back out and clean this again to get a spunk bike ready for the trackdays...:cowboy:

Question: what's with the beads? what 're there for?

Back