Official YZF Makeover Thread

Not going to lie, I havent been around much so I did not read this thread. Only the last 2 pages.

However, bike looks fantastic! We got to get some sort of a New England ride going this year, nothing insane long distance but something somewhat local so everyone can get in on it and also wont break the bank.

:)

Not going to lie, I havent been around much so I did not read this thread. Only the last 2 pages.

However, bike looks fantastic! We got to get some sort of a New England ride going this year, nothing insane long distance but something somewhat local so everyone can get in on it and also wont break the bank.

:)

Papa!! I'm hurt!!! Only the last two pages? :cry:

With V-Day (Tuesday), quickly approaching, I got out of work and headed straight to the garage to button up some minor things so that I'm ready to ride Wednesday morning. I removed what I think were the original Bar Grips and cleaned the surfaces with denatured alcohol.

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

Once they were free of any old glue I installed my favorite Red Spotted Pro Grips and my brand new Yamaha YZF Bar Ends.

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

After I finished those and left them to dry, I installed the two last bolts that Tony was nice enough to send me for the bottom of the upper fairing. Thats it for all the misc. hardware. Thanks T!
IMG_3352.jpg

She looks great now except for that bright shiney upper tree. I'm waiting for the guy to let me know when the Carbon Fiber Cover is ready so as to "blacken" that out.
IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

Tomorrow when I get back from Harbor Freight I only need to double check the alignment of the rear wheel, tighten everything down, install the cotter pins on the rear brake assembly, and remove the license plate to bring with me to DMV on Tuesday morning. I also need to raise the preload on the rear shock which I forgot to do previously when the shock was off the bike. It's on the lowest setting and thats not gonna suffice for this "big guy". I need to remember to install some GoPro Mounts as well so everyone can come along for her maiden voyage!!

Wow Billy. That's great. Any plans for a Penske shock, adjustable levers... Hehehe. I'm just giving you a hard time now. You've got it all buttoned up and looking and running awesome. Ride ASAP!

BTW: are you getting SIC DAY for your plates? You should!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?omyq4i
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Billy. That's great. Any plans for a Penske shock, adjustable levers... Hehehe. I'm just giving you a hard time now. You've got it all buttoned up and looking and running awesome. Ride ASAP!

BTW: are you getting SIC DAY for your plates? You should!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?omyq4i
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No bud, no Penske unless someone gives me one for free, and both levers are adjustable on this bike so for now I'll stick with them.

As for the plate, I'm going to use the Ninja plate to keep costs down. I think it will save me $40 bucks for the one time fee if you get a new plate.

YES! The moment we've all been waiting for is near! Great job my friend. She's once more a great looker! :Rockon:

Now I have to come down and see her in person!

YES! The moment we've all been waiting for is near! Great job my friend. She's once more a great looker! :Rockon:

Now I have to come down and see her in person!

Thanks Eric! It's killing me to wait until Tuesday. The rain tomorrow and Monday will help things along. I have the doctor on Tuesday morning so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone.

Back upstairs from doing some stuff on the trailer and buttoning up the rest of the things on the bike.

The first thing I did was check all bolts, screws, and nuts to make sure that everything is tight and secure. I made a "false" screw in the empty hole using a nylon lock nut below the fairing. The tab on the insert was broken which was why there wasn't a screw in it when I bought the bike. It looks complete now so I'm happy, even if it's not holding anything together.
fgty.jpg

I moved to the rear of the bike and checked the chain. After looking at the rearward rivet on the Master, I wasn't happy with how it looked. It was pressed, but not looking fully "square", so I broke out the chain tool and gave it another turn or two. Now it looks like the forward rivet.
IMG_3371.jpg

Next I had to install the two cotter pins on the rear brake assembly. It was pretty cramped quarters, but I managed to get them both in and locked down.
IMG_3372.jpg

I removed the Rear Hugger to check the alignment of the rear wheel. The way the hugger sits makes the wheel look "off" so I wanted to make sure. Without the hugger attached, the wheel looks perfect. I checked it with the caliper, the rear markers, and a straight edge, and they all say it's aligned.
IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

I re-installed the hugger and everything looks nice from the rear. I removed the license plate and set the preload on the rear shock before heading back upstairs.
IMG_3377.jpg

So everything is finished. I'm just waiting for Tuesday to get her registered and start riding. Once I get some riding time in, I'll do the fork rebuild and call it a day. I know I could do it now but I'm tired of not riding, so it will have to wait for a couple hundred miles!

Back