Official YZF Makeover Thread

Some say a fine tuned carb is way better then fi. hopefully the clutch issue will go smooth for Ivan and he gets you back on two wheels asap. the good thing is with the restro job you did it should not need any work for awile.

AAA+ for effort Billy !!! The YZF looks absolutely stunning out in the NY sunshine !! Get 'er to Ivan's and then it's off to the street for some serious riding !! Mighty fine rebuild there my friend. Mighty FINE !
Thanks for the pics. . . . sweet !!

AAA+ for effort Billy !!! The YZF looks absolutely stunning out in the NY sunshine !! Get 'er to Ivan's and then it's off to the street for some serious riding !! Mighty fine rebuild there my friend. Mighty FINE !
Thanks for the pics. . . . sweet !!

Thanks Gary. Maybe we'll both be riding our projects by then?? Hmm?? I hope so.

You did your best. No idea why it isn't working. It's got to be something behind the scenes beyond the slave... the slave is bleeding fluid but not actuating the clutch. Almost seems like the push rod isn't working behind the slave?

But she sure looks and sounds AMAZING! Well done Billy! Ivan will have you up on two shortly. :Rockon: Sorry it wasn't today though.

You did your best. No idea why it isn't working. It's got to be something behind the scenes beyond the slave... the slave is bleeding fluid but not actuating the clutch. Almost seems like the push rod isn't working behind the slave?

But she sure looks and sounds AMAZING! Well done Billy! Ivan will have you up on two shortly. :Rockon: Sorry it wasn't today though.

Man, I was pretty depressed after I pulled that clutch in and got nothing again. The clutch was perfectly fine before I changed the fluid out. Maybe it was happy with the "sludge" that was in there to begin with???

looks awesome!! you should send the PO some pics of the now version.Have you called JOTR to see if he can help you out on the clutch problem.

looks awesome!! you should send the PO some pics of the now version.Have you called JOTR to see if he can help you out on the clutch problem.

I am in fact. When the bike is totally finished I had told him that I'd send a Picture and Video DVD of the rebuild. He said he'd love to see it.

No, I haven't spoken to Johnny on it yet. I'm going to check the Slave Rod this morning to make sure that it's at least operating the clutch. If it is working, I'll check the slave to see how much travel it's getting when the lever is pulled in. Maybe the Master Cylinder needs to be rebuilt as well. I just can't see these parts "going" just from changing the fluid, but then again anything is possible!

Okay, it was bothering the heck out of me so I decided to go downstairs for another shot. Now, I don't know anything about this Hydraulic Clutch Setup, but I do know how to bleed and line so I don't know what could have been wrong. So I removed the Clutch Slave once again and pull the lever and she works beautifully! In and out with the lever it goes. I tried to stop the piston with my hand and I couldn't. Okay, so now I get out the rubber mallet and with the handle end, I try and push the Slave Rod "in". Now I'm a big guy and it wouldn't budge! I couldn't get it to move at all. Hmm???? Still stumped?? I never even touched the rod during the rebuild?? So I decide to button everything up again and get it to Ivan. Richie goes upstairs to leave me to pout on my own. I figure, let me make a quick video of the turn signals in operation, so I start the bike on the rear stand and film away.

After I finished I thought to myself, "she's on the stand, so let me hit it into first and see what happens". I pulled in the lever, hit it into first, there was a small "clack", and I look and the rear wheel IS NOT turning??? Wait a minute! I let out the clutch and she begins to spin??? I pull in the clutch and she's still going so I tap the rear brake and she stops. I tried this a few times until the rear would stop when I pulled in the clutch. Maybe from sitting 12 weeks the clutch plates were sticking to each other??? I'm not sure.

So now I call Richie again and tell him to come down. I sit on the bike, put it in gear and she goes nowhere. I let out the clutch and she's rolling! Pull in the clutch and she stops! I'm getting overjoyed at this point and magically already have my helmet on and strapped down!

Richie comes out and too is overjoyed. He doesn't know what the hell happened, only that I'm ready to roll!!!

First impressions....THIS BIKE IS SICK!!! I can't wait for Tony to try it out. He'll be impressed! Not sure if it's the change in gearing but this bike TAKES OFF like a Bat Out Of Hell! The tranny shifts like butter, no "missed shifts" or anything like that. Just pure power! I took it easy cause I still have things to button up, but I grabbed some throttle on my last pass and the front came off the ground with my fat azz like I wasn't even on the bike. The FZ1 could never do that!

So don't ask me what happened, how it works, what I did, cause I haven't a clue. I guess the bike needed to be shifted into gear to align things, I don't know?? All I know is I'M BACK BABY!!!! I'm a trip from the DMV away from riding again and I'm Soooo Happy!!!!!

So to celebrate, here's some video of the happiest man in the world right now!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X37jn9Vq-6o]YZF First Test Ride - YouTube[/ame]

I'm so happy it works now! What a joy to have it almost fix itself. :wilynily: Sometimes it pays off to keep fiddling with things! I'm glad you didn't blow a tranny!

in-soviet-russia-for-extra-35-rubles-tranny-12049-1253718662-23.jpg

I'm so happy it works now! What a joy to have it almost fix itself. :wilynily: Sometimes it pays off to keep fiddling with things! I'm glad you didn't blow a tranny!

in-soviet-russia-for-extra-35-rubles-tranny-12049-1253718662-23.jpg

Hahaha!! Thanks Troy, but I take no credit for "fixing" anything. I have no experience with a non-cable actuated clutch, so I guess this is how they work! I'm stoked regardless!!!

Thanks Bogie!! Today turned out to be an awesome one! Hopefully I can get to DMV this week in time for the weekend.

Glad you will be riding again soon!! Weather hasn't been good here lately but it has to turn around at some point. LOL

I have a V&H Big Radius 2 into 1 full system and a PC V coming for the Raider next week with a few other little bits. :cowboy:

Back