New Yamaha Project???

Is that swingarm a direct bolt on or does it take some modding to get it?

Dunno, it's a shot in the dark. I found a guy on the ADV forum who used to race them. The hot set up then was a YZ or TZ swingarm. He didn't recall the year. For $15, what the heck???

The bike arrived this morning. Everything works, and everything is mushy! Forks, brakes, saddle, floppy steering. It's an old bike! Today she gets a good bath so I can see what I'm working with.

Here's pre-bath photos. It was rained on from Memphis to OKC.

I sprayed the carbs with an entire can of carb cleaner!, Half a can of brake cleaner on the front brakes, then sprayed the entire bike with orange degreaser! I dried her off, and then began to work on the decades of grease pockets. I still have a ways to go. I may try pure Simple Green tomorrow with a tooth brush! I rained all day so I couldn't really ride her. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry. I've made a list of about a dozen parts. Tonight I'll work on placing orders.

View attachment 12165

View attachment 12166

View attachment 12167

View attachment 12168

View attachment 12169

View attachment 12170

Last edited:
Here's very clean, unmolested bike. I really like this idea. However I think I'd add a period quarter fairing, and the rear end isn't exactly what I want but close. The wheels are hard to find, Yamaha XS650/750s.

Also note the counter shaft sprocket, that is after 100,000 km! The chain system is fully enclosed and uses white lithium grease. For the chain a NON o-ring one is used.

View attachment 12171

View attachment 12172

Clean, clean, scrub, scrub

Well I made some headway today. Took some large parts off and cleaned.

I took her for a real ride today and in a word, she is slow.. But that's okay it's a for a fun bike. Now while she isn't fast she pulls pretty well. The power drops off at about 6,500 to 7,000...no mass.

The brakes are terrible. New lines and pads will make a huge difference, but not anywhere FZ1 standards, let alone R1.

Here's a few photos from today.

Interesting backbone frame, very compact to for the time, and the frame is the airbox! Note the intake boot from the carb going into the frame. Crazy.

View attachment 12180

Here's where the actual air box with the filter bolts on.

View attachment 12181

View attachment 12182

Card breather tubes welded onto the frame.

View attachment 12183

Massive battery! Next to it is the Aprilia battery. You could start a car with this thing.

View attachment 12184

Mono-Shock. Happily I discovered it already has a Progressive Suspension spring. No preload however, as the shock used air so preload adjustment. I've not idea if it will hold air.

View attachment 12185

Based on this sticker I suspect the YZ swingarm will bolt right up. The stock swingarm has cast steel parts! We have come soooo far in the last 30 years. And even if the YZ swing arm is a little shorter that is okay.

View attachment 12186

I did some research today and learned that RZ350/FJ600 wheels will work well and let me get into better rubber. The XV wheels are 19X1.95, and 18X2.15. The FJ wheels are 18X2.15, and 18 2.50. They should be much lighter, and as they are wider support the tire better. All good things. I'm also considering going with an FJ fork, 1) the legs are the same diameter as the XV, 2) I can use the FJ brakes, and larger rotors. I'll look for an R6 front M/C.

Last edited:
Looking great. That shorter swingarm will make it really nimble I guess, eh?

What an interesting project! I don't know much about these bikes, I will have to Google some info :)

You're using a lot of Yamaha parts to modify it but what about the other makes? I wonder if you can get old CBR F1 forks and brakes on (or something like that)

Hey Billy, Yup, the entire chain and sprockets are enclosed. I think it may be the only bike with that feature.

That's sweet! I went to the Fall Swap Meet at Englishtown today and saw this. Too bad I'm broke!

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

Good luck with the project and keep them pics coming!

Almost all bikes in India have that enclosed chain. It is mostly to save it from potholes and puddles in the rainy season.

Interesting. I guess then I should restate to, One of the only bikes sold in the US.

I managed to drop the exhaust. Only broke one bolt. I ordered all new bolts and exhaust flange nuts and gaskets. The system weighs 25 lbs.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Wow,

$1,500 is a reasonable price for a clean Rd350. I had a '76 RD400 as my first race bike, it was slow, I was slow.

I'm working on resto-modding an RD400 right now... Hoping it'll be my 2nd son's first streetbike. Currently just completely stripped.

Oh yeah, be careful with pure simplegreen. It'll eat the grease out of a sealed bearing! Best multi-use safe cleaner/degreaser I've used it Al's Totally Awesome availble at most dollar stores. AMAZING stuff, and only a $1.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your build. Enjoying it. Looks like you have a nice bike to start wth, unlike mine. Lol. But it was free, so I wasn't complaining ;-)

I did some research today and learned that RZ350/FJ600 wheels will work well and let me get into better rubber. The XV wheels are 19X1.95, and 18X2.15. The FJ wheels are 18X2.15, and 18 2.50. They should be much lighter, and as they are wider support the tire better. All good things. I'm also considering going with an FJ fork, 1) the legs are the same diameter as the XV, 2) I can use the FJ brakes, and larger rotors. I'll look for an R6 front M/C.

Those wheels on there look the very similar to the RD350LC. As for RZ wheels if you can find a set of the Canadian 86-up they would work nicely and be a little lighter. Easy to identify them. The hole in the spoke is just one big oval opening instead of the 84-85 RZ350 smaller holes.

Those wheels on there look the very similar to the RD350LC. As for RZ wheels if you can find a set of the Canadian 86-up they would work nicely and be a little lighter. Easy to identify them. The hole in the spoke is just one big oval opening instead of the 84-85 RZ350 smaller holes.

They are similar, only the are 18", mine are 19".

I looked on Ebay for Canada and didn't any of the later wheels, all are two hole wheels.

The FJ wheels are the exact same as the RZ wheels, yet a quarter of the price.

Looking great. That shorter swingarm will make it really nimble I guess, eh?

What an interesting project! I don't know much about these bikes, I will have to Google some info :)

You're using a lot of Yamaha parts to modify it but what about the other makes? I wonder if you can get old CBR F1 forks and brakes on (or something like that)

I really want to stick with Yamaha only...not sure why. :)

They are similar, only the are 18", mine are 19".

I looked on Ebay for Canada and didn't any of the later wheels, all are two hole wheels.

The FJ wheels are the exact same as the RZ wheels, yet a quarter of the price.

Oh yea, I forgot that your front is a 19".

And yea, I doubt you'll be able to find the RZ wheels that cheap, but you never know. You may want to post a WTB thread on here:

RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS :: Index

Back