New member welcome thread...

Whats Up

What's goin on people. I recently picked up a 2007 FZ1 Raven with 5980miles for $5,000. I've been looking for a bike for the last 4years but never had the funds to do so. I've always wanted an R1, but once I finally was able to take a test drive on one I realized it was way to uncomfortable for me(I'm 6'4"). Then I was introduced to the FZ1 by a friend and fell in love! I had a 2.5hr drive home on the bike after picking it up(longest ride I've had on a bike) and knew I made the right decision in this model. Extremely comfortable for my size and A LOT of fun! Eventually I want to turn it into the 'streetfighter' look but for now I'm just happy to have 2wheels under me again:) I used to ride a lot of BMX back in the day as well with anything that was motorized with 2wheels. Just happy I settled on a bike that I know I'll have for a very long time. Anyone with ideas on simple/cheap mods that I can do for the summer let me know, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and save for most of the summer and start doing major things to it over winter. Glad to be apart of this forum.

John

What's goin on people. I recently picked up a 2007 FZ1 Raven with 5980miles for $5,000. I've been looking for a bike for the last 4years but never had the funds to do so. I've always wanted an R1, but once I finally was able to take a test drive on one I realized it was way to uncomfortable for me(I'm 6'4"). Then I was introduced to the FZ1 by a friend and fell in love! I had a 2.5hr drive home on the bike after picking it up(longest ride I've had on a bike) and knew I made the right decision in this model. Extremely comfortable for my size and A LOT of fun! Eventually I want to turn it into the 'streetfighter' look but for now I'm just happy to have 2wheels under me again:) I used to ride a lot of BMX back in the day as well with anything that was motorized with 2wheels. Just happy I settled on a bike that I know I'll have for a very long time. Anyone with ideas on simple/cheap mods that I can do for the summer let me know, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and save for most of the summer and start doing major things to it over winter. Glad to be apart of this forum.

John

Congrats, :welcome: and have fun modding! I have a 2007 too (just in the faster blue :poke:) If it doesn't have frame sliders, that would be the first thing to get. T-Rex are a good quality and cheap. Very easy to install, but you do need a torque wrench and some blue loctite because they replace the bolt that holds the engine to the frame. A different windshield is a good idea, but if you are going naked soon, not worth the price. Corbin or Sargent seats are worth the money. Aftermarket adjustable levers will make a difference too. What tires are on it? If its still the stock tires, they should be just about worn out and aren't very good anyway. I like the Michelin Pilot Road 3's.

We need some pics too. Have fun and be safe!

John

You'll love that bike! ;) Welcome!

Last edited:
Rear tire is brand new and the Front has maybe 40% wear on it. I will be picking up some frame sliders soon. What kinda difference does aftermarket levers do?

When I bought them, I got them mainly for looks, but the adjustable lever helped me set the distance from the bar and amount of travel. This changed the distance the lever had to be released before the clutch would engage and is much more comfortable. I didn't expect it to do much more than looks, but the feel of the levers and the adjustability really made a difference to me. If you get cheap Chinese knock offs (they may fade) but you can pick up a pair for cheap. Right now, I'd recommend Ride It Moto.

New Guy on Gen I

Wanted to introduce myself as a new FZ1 owner, just did the same thing on another forum so for those that are members of the other site this is essentially a cut and paste.
I just purchased a silver '03 Gen I a few weeks ago. Been browsing the forum for a while. Lots of good info here, I'm sure I'll be making good use of it.
It's been a while since I've owned an inline-4 street bike, it's taking a little getting used to but I sure enjoy it when I get to open the throttle! My last two street bikes have been Buells (hence the username I've been using for years) and I really enjoyed them but it was time for something different. I have an FZR 400/600 race bike so I'm not new to 4cyl Yamahas but I need to get used to not riding near redline! So far my impressions of the FZ1 are that it's got good power, very smooth carburation, great brakes, great riding position, and decent suspension. I'm a little disappointed by the gearbox...it's not really any better than my Buells...and that's not saying much. It also seems to be hard on fuel but I've been flogging it pretty hard. Overall I think I'm going to like it.

New FZ1 Owner.

Hi, all I just purchased an '09 black. I have owned many bikes, my last street bike being a '02 v-strom and a '05 GSXR600 for track duty. I decided to scale back my track day's and go back to one bike for both duties. My good friend and suspension guy suggested the FZ1. The bike is completely stock and by the looks of it has never been on a twisty road as evident by the one inch chicken strips on the squared off dunlops.
I have a lot of modding to do to get the bike track ready: shock, rear-sets, pipe,levers and another set of wheels. to start, so I'll be lurking around looking for ideas.

FZ750's x 3 Looking at 06 FZ1

Hi, I'm 52, live in Australia and I've still got my original 86 FZ750 Red and white Genesis that I learn't to ride on in my 20's sitting in my garage.
Just recently I got it going again to show my now 18yr old son why I loved it so much.
Whilst I was looking for parts I picked up a few more FZ750's so now have 2 x 85's (one is just for spares) and 2 x 86's (my original one which is stock and only travelled 24,000km) and another one which has a freshly rebuilt motor with a 1000 barrel on it.
It's the extra power of the 1000 that has got me interested in the FZ1's.
I've now got a chance to pick up an 06 FZ1S with 17,000km on it which has been down on it's side and so needs some parts but thanks to this site I've found out about the retro-kits which basically replaces all that it need except for a radiator.
Anyway now I've got a bit of an idea how much it will cost to fix it so I'm in a better position to make an offer ..... If I get it I'll be asking a few questions .... stay tuned

Hi, I'm 52, live in Australia and I've still got my original 86 FZ750 Red and white Genesis that I learn't to ride on in my 20's sitting in my garage.
Just recently I got it going again to show my now 18yr old son why I loved it so much.
Whilst I was looking for parts I picked up a few more FZ750's so now have 2 x 85's (one is just for spares) and 2 x 86's (my original one which is stock and only travelled 24,000km) and another one which has a freshly rebuilt motor with a 1000 barrel on it.
It's the extra power of the 1000 that has got me interested in the FZ1's.
I've now got a chance to pick up an 06 FZ1S with 17,000km on it which has been down on it's side and so needs some parts but thanks to this site I've found out about the retro-kits which basically replaces all that it need except for a radiator.
Anyway now I've got a bit of an idea how much it will cost to fix it so I'm in a better position to make an offer ..... If I get it I'll be asking a few questions .... stay tuned

Welcome to the forums Dark Merlin.
Nice collection! :tup:
Oh one thing with buying an 06 model, make sure you have a good look at the frame welds,as some are prone to cracking. But it's only the early Gen 2 models that had it.
here:
Frame%20Crack%20003.jpg

Left side:
224288519-L.jpg

Right side:
224288580-L.jpg

Welcome to the forums Dark Merlin.
Nice collection! :tup:
Oh one thing with buying an 06 model, make sure you have a good look at the frame welds,as some are prone to cracking. But it's only the early Gen 2 models that had it.

Thanks for welcome and the tip to check the welds on the 06 model.
It's just that kind of information from experienced owners that makes forums like this so valuable. Many thanks. :bowdown:

Now to make an album and upload some photos of my early ones.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi... Been reading a lot of stuff from this forum... Just recently purchased a 2006 FZ1N... Previous bikes were R6 and Daytona 675... Wanted something more comfy and the FZ1N fit the bill

Hello my name is Lonney and i am 46 and married.I dont have an fz1 yet but im considering getting one soon.I have a honda st1300 and a suz vstrom 650 which i do not like and will probaly will be trading it in for fz1.Ive been riding street bikes for 25 years and i think i am mature enough for an uprite sportbike.Due to a bad back i am limited in my bike selection and the fz sems like a great choice.I still love doing wheelies and carvin up the twisties.I live near Chadds Ford Pa do a little construction and powerwashing.I have some questions about this bike so i figured i would people who know!

Lonney

Hello my name is Lonney and i am 46 and married.I dont have an fz1 yet but im considering getting one soon.I have a honda st1300 and a suz vstrom 650 which i do not like and will probaly will be trading it in for fz1.Ive been riding street bikes for 25 years and i think i am mature enough for an uprite sportbike.Due to a bad back i am limited in my bike selection and the fz sems like a great choice.I still love doing wheelies and carvin up the twisties.I live near Chadds Ford Pa do a little construction and powerwashing.I have some questions about this bike so i figured i would people who know!

Lonney

Welcome Lonney! If your considering an FZ1, you've come to the right place. Are you looking for something new or used?

Back