My new to me Gen 1

I haven't posted much on here so I thought I would start a thread about my bike.
Its a 2002 that I purchased off of the orig owner about 3 months ago with 12000 miles on it. It was 100% stock with only one exception the seat was worked on a bit by his brother.
Anyway I have been doing mods like crazy after I told myself I would keep it stock. It started with sprockets, speed healer and AIS block off. Then I went a bit crazy. Here is a list of mods so far.
Gen 2 handle bars
oury grips
AIS removal
sprockets 15/45
braided brake lines
R1 mirrors
fender extender
speed healer
double bubble windscreen
shorty adjustable levers
scorpion carbon fiber slip on exhaust
carb manifold cross over mod
R6 throttle tube
new plugs

Here is the stuff I have but haven't installed yet
BMW s1000rr rear shock
Traxxion front springs, bushings, seals ect
Ivan's MB jet kit, K&N filter, ported intake boots, modified air box
ELS ignition advancer
Custom tank pads
carbon fiber front fender
clutch as a spare

Things I still want
Proton flush mount signals
fender eliminator

Then I think I will be done with the mods... :) I love this bike so far and everything I have done has just made it that much better for me.

20151025_184844_zpsujwzs6zn.jpg

20151024_112049_zpsw9zqh5yd.jpg

20151003_153308_zpsw7lli5qi.jpg

20150917_1524192_zpsziwjrbof.jpg

20151011_154643_zpsii6mrl5w.jpg

20151017_193037_zps890domzp.jpg

20151017_192907_zpswwqahdd7.jpg

Congrats on the bike! I too am one of the few Gen 1 owners left around here.... ;-)

I am curious, are you going to keep the reflectors on the front brake rotors? I tore mine off....

Last weekend I was able to install the BMW rear shock and the traxxion front spring kit. It took a little work to get the spacer dialed in on the forks but its done. I was able to take it out today and test it a bit. The weather is cold and roads are still a bit wet in the shade so no real aggressive riding but I did get an idea how it felt. Night and day difference IMO. It turns in quicker and feels more solid under me. It soaks up the road with no problem and is comfortable to ride.

I purchased proton front signals and a holeshot fender eliminator. I will install them soon. I did get the ignition advancer (ELS) installed 5 min ago.

Protons installed and it really cleaned up the front of the bike. I also took off the mirrors to clean it up even more. I like the way it looks now from the front. I need to get the fender eliminator installed.
20151123_153540_zpsizjrnr3t.jpg

Installed my grip warmers today. Its pretty involved operation but I took my time and made sure I did everything correctly. They work fine in the garage. I should be able to test them out this weekend.

What brand did you go with? I've tried a couple types; under the grip style from Symtec and also the whole hog Oxford with the fancy controller

I went with Kimpex. I bought them off amazon for 25 bucks. I had the same ones on my ZRX and they work fine for what I need them for. I really want heated gloves but they are pretty expensive. The Kimpex have a simple toggle HI LO switch. I remember having to switch back and forth as HI get pretty hot.
I wired them through a relay so no fear of leaving them on and draining the battery.

Congrats. I just bought my first Gen 1 - 2001 FZ1 as well. I know absolutely nothing about motorcycles and wished I could do half of the stuff you have done.

Congrats on your first Gen 1
I think you will be able to do the mods you want to do. There is another FZ1 forum out there that has just about everything you need to know about the Gen 1 modifications. They even have a Pat's page where he lists the mods and does a step by step with pics.
Good luck

Just received a couple more parts. :) I got a healtech gear indicator, x-arc tail lights and a 47 tooth rear sprocket.

I purchased a holeshot fender eliminator kit from Dale but the only problem is that the instructions refer a lot to pics on his website. The pics on his website are gone,,, I contacted Dale and he told me that he is trying to retrieve them (well he is having a computer guy try). I read the instructions a few times and IMO the pictures are an important part of the install as the instructions seem
vague. Man I hope Dale finds his pics. I have also asked on another forum if anyone happened to have install pics of their installation of this particular fender eliminator.

Well I was able to install the holeshot rear fender eliminator and the X-arc tail lights. I love the way the lights are super small and so dang bright. Eliminator really cleans up the rear of the bike. I used some aluminum pop rivets and washers to reinstall the rubber storage strap that gets cut out so I can securely store the tools.
VID OF LIGHTS

20151210_182609_zpsgcrxltuj.jpg

20151210_182553_zps9003lh2u.jpg

20151212_150746_zpsdeix6nda.jpg

20151212_151846_zps8qmlvgpr.jpg

Last edited:
Back