More fun with Harleys

Oh, and I love all motorcycles, but even if I were to win the lottery, I wouldn't be purchasing a Harley. Where as most folks purchase these for the biker "reputation" and all the hoopla that comes with it, there are more posers on those then any other. The 50 hour a week suit and tie accountant that dresses up in leather once every two months to ride to the local pub, and 8 months out of the year it sits in the garage. All the while Mr. Suit and tie bragging about the biker he is. That's the reputation I see most when I look at one. That and how over priced they are. A friend of mine used to sell Harley's. He quit because he was constantly approving people for these over priced loans that they knew they would struggle to pay...but it was all about having a Harley.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont think i've ever seen a sport bike under an overpass in the rain, or in a heat wave. Harley ... yeah better sit that rain out and let your engine cool off......

Personally, I don't think the average sportbike guy is any more hardcore than the average Harley guy. I'd actually say it's less.

This year, I traveled coast-to-coast in Canada and the USA through all the provinces and over a dozen states. That entire 10,000 miles I covered basically all I saw was cruisers. I'd say the ratio of cruiser to sportbike was about 24:1. The only place I ever saw sportbikes was in the major cities, making noise and posing in front of bars and coffee shops.

It reaffirmed my thoughts that it doesn't matter what bike you ride, a poser is a poser.

Check my post, I referenced Harley riders. Not cruisers in general. You'll find more people who put thousands of miles on other brands of cruisers, or sport touring bikes, then Harley's.

---

Most of the bikes I saw on my trip were Harleys, probably 4:1 to any other cruisers.

In my experience, there's a lot more Harleys on the road than any other bike and that means you see a lot more posing, broken down or out on the road being used.

Well, in riding in 5 different states, 20+ years, and thousands of miles, and in meeting thousands of other bikers on popular rides, truck stops, rest stops, and rally's, I found the opposite to be true. When the discussion of miles ridden, or trips done, or whether someone is a daily rider, more "other" bikes then Harley's by far. Do our experiences are vastly different.

---

So maybe we can come up with a checklist which we could have to decipher what constitutes a "poser" and what constitutes a "real" rider. That would be fun. Anyone???

No such thing as a 'real rider' IMO. Motorbikes have a different purpose and meaning to each and every person and whatever they choose to do with it really is up to them. Same with brands and types of bikes. It's pointless to have such bias in life.

We poke fun at other people for being posers or whatever but really, it doesn't matter what people do with the bike as long as they're enjoying it.

Last edited:
Your exactly right Missy! That is why I put up that silly post. The truth is, at least to me, that "poser" is just a word that someone came up with once and stuck, causing a huge stereotype in the motorcycling world. Just like the term "squid" which by definition, would have been me three weeks ago when it was 104 degrees and I rode to Gettysburg in a tee shirt, jeans, helmet, and gloves. In short, there is no way to tell if a rider is "posing" or not. I have been riding for 34 years now yet I still won't ride in the rain, frigid temps, or overly hot days when possible. Some would say that I'm not "hardcore" then, yet I've probably logged more miles on two wheels than most people my age on four wheels. I don't judge anyone that throws their leg over a bike for whatever reason. Some do it for commuting, some for leisure, some for the track, and some for economical reasons. For whatever reason they are still riders to me. Unless your delivering Chinese food to someone's door, I believe that if you ride two wheels, somewhere deep down inside, you have some sort of passion for it, therefore you couldn't really be "posing". Thats just my opinion of course and doesn't have to be agreed with by any means.

No such thing as a 'real rider' IMO. Motorbikes have a different purpose and meaning to each and every person and whatever they choose to do with it really is up to them. Same with brands and types of bikes. It's pointless to have such bias in life.

We poke fun at other people for being posers or whatever but really, it doesn't matter what people do with the bike as long as they're enjoying it.

Thats my point exactly! There would be no way to make the list. You had used the word "poser", and I was using that to make a point but it seems you already understood what I meant. There's no such thing as either..."posers" or "real riders". There are only people that ride bikes or don't ride bikes. It's pretty simple actually.

I agree but we all like to laugh at people from time to time. Missy for example has a huge hate on for Harleys and enjoys making fun of them. It's fun sometimes!

There's no such thing as either..."posers" or "real riders".

This sux!! I gave up riding in line 4 rice rockets for my "V" motor cruiser so I could join a better class of losers. Now I find out that I'm not a "poser" after all?

I have tried so hard to fit in every where I ride. I do my best to stay with they other riders. I cant help it if they always want to ride so far back. LOL

Anyhow I know what it meens to have Passion for riding. I have no interest in Harley's, I buy into peformance and reliabilty.

I can prove I'm a "real" rider to anyone. When we are out riding and come to a stop just pinch me and I'll scream like a bitch!lol :nana:No pun!

Come on guys don't knock it until you try it. Sorry about the lapse in the ATGATT thing but not a bad way to do a bit of sight seeing. And look I'm being a good boy and only doing 35 mph. Don't worry though, the FZ1 is not going to be traded anytime soon.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Come on guys don't knock it until you try it. Sorry about the lapse in the ATGATT thing but not a bad way to do a bit of sight seeing. And look I'm being a good boy and only doing 35 mph. Don't worry though, the FZ1 is not going to be traded anytime soon.

attachment.php

What Hog are you cruising on Bluey? Fatboy? Road King?

Well spotted Billy. It's a 2007 Road King. I was in Honolulu with my daughter and we rented it for a day and road it around the island. It was a spur of the moment thing and of course we didn't have the proper riding gear with us. You should see the pudding basin open face helemts that the rental place loaned us! Still we had a great day.

attachment.php

Well spotted Billy. It's a 2007 Road King. I was in Honolulu with my daughter and we rented it for a day and road it around the island. It was a spur of the moment thing and of course we didn't have the proper riding gear with us. You should see the pudding basin open face helemts that the rental place loaned us! Still we had a great day.

attachment.php

Thats exactly what Richie and I rented out in Vegas for a week a couple of years ago. The only difference was that our Road King was a full bagger with hard cases, captains seat, and windshield. I swear I thought I was riding in my sofa! Awesome bike for cruising the canyons and long desert roads.

Ok, here's an example of someone "posing" as a rider.
I worked with an engineer, REAL smart, not much common sense, but intelligent none the less, and real goofy. One day out of the blue he buys a Harley Road King. And a trailer. We started talking, and he knows all the specs. But he doesn't know how to ride, never ridden before, and isn't licensed. What he does, to this day, is trailer the bike to bike Rally's, including Sturgis, and he parks it. It never gets ridden because he doesn't know how. But he has, and wears, all the leather. And definitely knows all about the specs on his machine.
I even offered to teach him..he just wants to talk and act like a rider, he doesn't actually want to ride.
I don't "hate" Harley's or Harley riders. I simply made a statement that in my experience they are for the most part, not the folks that put 12 to 15K on their bikes a year. I ride with some Harley riders regularly, and they talk about that more then I do. It's just a different point of view.

---

Billy your knowledge is amazing. I wasn't sure cos it was a couple of years ago but look what I found!! :wow:

How did you know that, there must be hundreds if not thousands of rental companies in Honolulu.

attachment.php

No Bluey, I'm sorry, I can't take credit for anything resembling great knowledge. I just know that Eagle Rider is the place to go to if you want a "no hassle" way of renting a Hog. I also knew that they were all over the world so I took an educated guess. But thanks so much for the kind words! :tup:

Back