Major Overhaul

harrisch

So guys, i made it just over 1 year before my SECOND motorcycle accident :(

Last year I had a very low speed low side, a lady turning right on red cut me off and i laid the bike down... Unfortunately for me, i dislocated my left shoulder - but the bike however had very minimal damage (had to change handlebars, ding on tank, one 14 dollar piece on left side of engine) -- but i fixed up the bike, did rehab, and got back on the road....

13 months later and ive had another accident.

Again, i was going slow, maybe 10-15 miles an hour, around a bend. This bend was after a long construction area, and although there were no construction signs or gravel warnings in the area, the middle of the road in the bend i slipped on had 1-2 inches of gravel accumulated. My rear tire slipped out i lowsided such that my right shoulder hit the ground, but then the bike gripped and through me over the top and flipped over me. Per witness accounts, the bike flipped end over end over my head missing me by inches.

[video=youtube_share;OKdSd1wTFHo]http://youtu.be/OKdSd1wTFHo[/video]

Thankfully, i managed not to injure myself at all in this accident - i was wearing full gear, and my jacket has some scrapes and scratches and my pants ripped a bit, helmet hit also and i will need to buy a new one.... but all that was worth it because i was not injured.

Photobucket Slideshow of Damage and Location

IMG_2278_zpsa27bf594.jpg
IMG_2273_zps11170276.jpg
IMG_2272_zps86338668.jpg
IMG_2269_zps1d6df657.jpg
IMG_2265_zps187e4b1c.jpg
IMG_2263_zpsf9d5ef44.jpg

The bike on the other hand did not fare so well. Since it flipped end over end, both front forks and triples were bent... the rear subframe was bent. The left rearset/peg broke off completely. The right passenger footpeg broke as well as all over the plastic pieces of the tail section. Luckily the frame and engine were totally ok. I had a spare tank which will get put on, the front wheel was bent slightly also and that has been straightened.

Given that I am currently interviewing for residencies, i dropped my bike off at a shop to get all the repairs done over the winter.

I wanted to share this with you guys for a couple of reasons.

1. Ohlins is doing a custom R&D project on my forks, i was going to do an R1 front end conversion but after discussing with my mechanic we decided to keep the geometry of the bike the same and change out all the internals of the fz1 forks -- ohlins is apparently revalving and sealing the cartridges and putting them on a fork dyno to fine tune the actual fork performance. Will keep you posted on how all this turns out - im pretty excited for it

2. I am looking for a used r6 radial master cylinder - since i am upgrading the front suspension i figured it would be valuable to upgrade the braking performance also. The r6 master cylinder rebuild kits are only like 35 bucks, so if anyone knows where i can get a cylinder to rebuild that would be much appreciated.

3. M4 exhaust - just wanted to show you guys how this pipe looks on our bike, my mechanic made a gsxr1000 m4 pipe work to get the look i wanted (expose the swingarm as much as possible) ive attached prelim pics of what this looks like.

4. Sato rearsets - im getting these they should be in within a week, just wondering if anyone has any experience with them

5. Yamaha handle bar conversion kit - anyone used this on their bike? i think im gonna go for this handlebar setup for a slightly more aggressive look.

Other mods being done to the bike - stainless steel lines, Ivans ECU and PCFC maps, new bar end mirrors and bar ends, does some finishing of the FZ1N headlight with rabbitmans HID retrofit so that its totally blacked out with LED indicators, also installing a 16t front sprocket with speedohealer and a gear indicator.

if anyone has any other suggestions or anything that would be appreciated also :)

IMG_26422_zpsb3b8520f.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your accident but am glad your okay. Couldn't help but notice the NY plate. Are you local to NYC or upstate? Your photos maybe came from your phone. I usually use Photobucket to upload to and then make any changes to them such as position and size. Then I copy and paste the link here on the site. Good luck with finding parts. You may get lucky here on the board.

Glad your OK !! sounds like your really lucky that bike didn't hit you !! Is Olins re doing the forks you crashed ? that's sounds interesting . Did Rabbitmans light hold up in the crash ?

Glad your OK !! sounds like your really lucky that bike didn't hit you !! Is Olins re doing the forks you crashed ? that's sounds interesting . Did Rabbitmans light hold up in the crash ?

Yeah ohlins is redoing all the internals on the forks - ill get more details from my mechanic/from ohlins when i get the forks back.

Rabbitmans light held up just fine in the crash - the projector still fires and all the connections seem strong...

and yeah, im located in upstate - this accident happened around durand eastman park near lake ontario/ rochester, ny

ill reupload the photos to photobucket and try correct that then - thanks for the help :)

Sorry to learn of this but happy you made it through without injury this time! The bike sure looks a mess!

Interested in seeing the end result of your rebuild. And yes, the Ohlins bits as well!

Glad you're OK, I guess that's one way to get the motivation and the need to do a whole lot of upgrading.,....... Not the way I'd go about it though.

Having laid out the cash to buy Ohlins forks, I'm also interested to see what they come up with, not that I need it, but it would have been a nice option.

You'll love the Satos, jewelry. I have a set on my Tuono V4R, nicest set I've ever had. Fit, finish, adjustability, performance and feel. I've had Rizoma, Woodcraft, and a few others.

Glad you are OK. I'm curious as to time of day you hit the gravel.

It was mid afternoon - probably around 330 ish, this accident happened in late september i only just got around to posting about it because ive been so busy with school/interviews, but it was a warmish day (low 60s) and sunny, the conditions were great and i had relatively new PR4s both front and rear.

Thank you all for the well wishes - man am i glad im ok over the bike.... last time round i was out of commission for months with my shoulder and the bike was ready to go - def much prefer this scenario.... although it does suck to have a beat up bike haha.

Hellgate - good to hear about the Sato's, my mechanic seemed to think they were really solid but i just didnt recognize the same so its good to hear someone vouch further for them.

im about to head to the shop right now to pick up my ecu to send out to IVAN, maybe if the exhaust is in place i can get a nice sound grab hehehehe

Hey Guys,

So my bike should be done this week and it looks awesome! hehehe -

Gotta give props to Matt at Right Side Up Kreations for all the excellent work he did - he was a pleasure to work with, does clean work and at a reasonable rate - if anyone in the upstate new york area needs anything done with their bike definitely check their shop out (saw a non-built 2011 zx10r today that was running in the 8's)

for some reason my phone camera stopped autofocusing so i couldnt take any good photos looking at the bike today but im attaching a sound clip of what the new M4 exhaust sounds like.

Ohlins apparently couldnt be happier with how the forks turned out - havent gotten to ride it yet but i will definitely update you guys once i do.... aside from that i went with the alternative OEM yamaha bars, did the fuel line kink mod, added some LED parking lights, got an R1 master cylinder and spiegler stainless lines front and rear, went to a 16 tooth sprocket and got the Ivans reflash and power commander.... they are also going to install a gear indicator in the tach sometime this week and a speedohealer as well....

but for now - enjoy the LOUD! it sounded much louder in person.... and this is with the baffle in ;)

[video=youtube;b7Bodg5OhJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Bodg5OhJQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

oh and heres a picture of the sato racing rearsets and m4 exhaust that matt sent me before i could go in and see the bike

20150108_135029.jpg

Back