Just got my bike and need help with mods!

Hey everyone i just grabbed a 2001 fzs1000 a few days ago and was looking to do some potential mods to it since i wont be riding much during the winter. Im going to put some pics up and would love some insight. Thanks! :sport12:

I'm sorry but I'll have to agree with everyone thus far. Get yourself some Duplicolor Black Engine Paint and mask everything off and spray that motor. Also, if your not ready to replace or fix the gas tank, I would at least sand down that rusty section and treat it with some rust blocker so it doesn't spread. By the way, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Wait !!

WAIT !! Gold is money !! The color of money !! No one else has a GOLD motor !! Hang in there , , , you'll get used to it. Ohh, and :welcome: to the club!!:woot:

What are you wanting to do?

Cosmetic?
Performance?

I'd say the way the gold is flaking off the left engine cover, its standard paint to start with and going to be alot more labor intensive.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yea, The gold has got to go. Blue and Gold can look good, But there is too much other stuff going on. It just doesn't look right. Welcome to the money pit, Oops I meant Forum.

Thank you all :)

Hey everyone. I want to thank you all for welcoming me to this forum. First off. I have to get used to using a forum again with the digs and all and a new avatar it's been a while but other than that, I wasn't really a fan of the gold engine paint either. But I got the bike for a great price in my eyes and it only had a few minor problems and things I wanted to change. First I want to paint the engine black. And then eventually change out the buell headlights. I was actually looking for a euro style conversion. I've seen a few on here and fz1oa so I'll post them when I get to a computer. Anybody have anymore advice on painting the engine? And also I was just waiting for the weather to clear up here so I can sand and seal up the rusty spot on the tank. I'll eventually get to it when I get some more money =D

Here's some background on the bike:

Grabbed it on Craigslist from someone who has a few bikes on Craigslist
He said the previous owner had droppe it and the front fairing was damaged so he replaced a few part on the front. The frame is completely fine and the only visible damage is the tank and scrapes on the stator cover I believe?
Engine sounds great and runs smooth and has about 25k miles
He included saddle bags, helmet, and the original pipe in mint condition
nd the title is clear. Got it all delivered to place for 1700. Seems like a good deal so I went with it. I wanted to have a bike I could do a few minor things on and not spend much money at the same time.

Well sorry for any typos I wrote this up pretty quick on my phone without re reading it.

Looks like a good find for the price.

Keep you eye out for some of us that ride up in PA. and stuff. You will find several riders that frequent this site from around you.

Take it easy.

For the engine, the finish will only be as good as the initial prep. Fazersniper, forum member, would be a good source for quick info on easiest way to make your black engine a reality.

Obviously a high temp engine paint is needed, but plan on make ALL of the gold disappeared to have a durable finish.

Most of the headlights you see are for the Gen 2 bikes. However, if someone does not beat me to it, ill supply a link for miscellaneous trick bits that give you some plug and play type options (but are not easy on the pocketbook)

Depending upon time frame, there is another gent who specializes in tank repair, and matches factory paint/finish over on the rehto forum (deandinnetz on fz1oa).

Ill even have some not so easy to find trick bits coming up for sale in the next couple of weeks.

More to come.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. I want to thank you all for welcoming me to this forum. First off. I have to get used to using a forum again with the digs and all and a new avatar it's been a while but other than that, I wasn't really a fan of the gold engine paint either. But I got the bike for a great price in my eyes and it only had a few minor problems and things I wanted to change. First I want to paint the engine black. And then eventually change out the buell headlights. I was actually looking for a euro style conversion. I've seen a few on here and fz1oa so I'll post them when I get to a computer. Anybody have anymore advice on painting the engine? And also I was just waiting for the weather to clear up here so I can sand and seal up the rusty spot on the tank. I'll eventually get to it when I get some more money =D

Here's some background on the bike:

Grabbed it on Craigslist from someone who has a few bikes on Craigslist
He said the previous owner had droppe it and the front fairing was damaged so he replaced a few part on the front. The frame is completely fine and the only visible damage is the tank and scrapes on the stator cover I believe?
Engine sounds great and runs smooth and has about 25k miles
He included saddle bags, helmet, and the original pipe in mint condition
nd the title is clear. Got it all delivered to place for 1700. Seems like a good deal so I went with it. I wanted to have a bike I could do a few minor things on and not spend much money at the same time.

Well sorry for any typos I wrote this up pretty quick on my phone without re reading it.

Nothing wrong with getting a bike to fix up. It looks like it will be quite a chore to paint that motor. Take your time masking off the frame and whatever else you don't want black. I'm not sure I'd want to use any kind of stripper on the motor. You don't want to mesh with any gasket material. Also, just keep in mind that at 26K you'll need to have the valves checked which if done by a shop will cost about 300 or so dollars. Keep us updated with pictures of the rebuild!

Picked this 2005 up a few months ago off E-Bay.

jamie1971-albums-my-fz-picture2466-jamies-fz.jpg

Gold ?!

How old are you again? Man money is green, not gold :D Hasn't been gold for a long, long time :poke:

Ahh,,, right you are Tony ! But, I have this boat-load of MONOPOLY Money and them 500 notes are GOLD indeed !! heh,heh,
Btw, last time I tried to pass a couple of 'em , , , well, it didn't work out well for me . . .. .. I tried to pay Billy with them for his gorgeous, Black FZ1 in October . . . nope !:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

All black everything

I wanted to mainly do cosmetic work as of now.. The only engine work I need to do is check on the valves ASAP and tune it up. And maybe a jet kit. I want to make sure the carbs are clean because the bike does have a little trouble starting in the cold. It's icey and 34*F outside. The one thing is that the previous owner got this bike from a friend and he doesn't know of all of the mods done when he bought it. It has aftermarket handle bars. seems like aftermarket turn signals. I'll get more pics of the bike up when its nice out and I can actually move it around.

I also live in the city and was wondering what lock would be the best..I was checking out the xena stainless steel disc brake alarm locks..anyone?

Back