Ivan's Reflash?

Arrangements are made and it comes apart Sunday night. Shipping the ECU to Ivan on Monday. I'm going to use Michele's bike to commute next week so I'll raise it back up a bit for me. I'm also going to re-route the ECU to under the seat as Pete had done. I'll try and get some pics of the route and end result to show others what to do but it seems quite straight forward and Pete says there is enough wire loom to do it.

Also going to see about creating a vacuum manifold to plug into easily for synching the throttle bodies. May as well since it will be all apart, plus I want these synched after I install the Ivan-ized ECU.

After this, the only thing left is sorting out the front suspension. Still unsure about what to do. If I wasn't already planning the ECU and some other projects, I'd have grabbed the recently posted R1 entire front end that came up for sale. Later.... It's not all that bad as it sits but I want a lot better feedback and compression. The stock compression leg is just not there...

Front suspension is pretty good IMHO. You only need some springs and oil. DIY or get the traxxion to do it with their basic valving service for $500.

I did do the springs and oil but that doesn't fix the compression as Lee from Traxxion has pointed out. Remember my How-to on the USD forks? I put in the Racetech 1.0 kg springs and did the Duken4evr different weight oils. Still not the best feedback.... better? Yes, but not quite there. If I can just get Lee to do the reversed rebound valve and his special-sauce shim stack on the compression side alone, I think it would be all that much better.

How's that flash treating you? Any drawbacks noticed at all? I'm not reading anything negative about Ivan's flash outside of people who did not follow his recommendations, especially setting the min/max on the PC.

I did do the springs and oil but that doesn't fix the compression as Lee from Traxxion has pointed out. Remember my How-to on the USD forks? I put in the Racetech 1.0 kg springs and did the Duken4evr different weight oils. Still not the best feedback.... better? Yes, but not quite there. If I can just get Lee to do the reversed rebound valve and his special-sauce shim stack on the compression side alone, I think it would be all that much better.

How's that flash treating you? Any drawbacks noticed at all? I'm not reading anything negative about Ivan's flash outside of people who did not follow his recommendations, especially setting the min/max on the PC.

I followed all his recommendations and mine are almost within spec. The high values at smaller throttle openings at all RPMs are going to kill your commute mpg in traffic. I 1/4thed them and got my mpg back. I may try slightly increasing them from now on. Otherwise the flash is working great! I have left my riding like a crazy bat out of hell way behind since becoming a dad and now buying a house but I still can enjoy the flash. It will power wheelie nicely with my stock gearing but would do even better with -1 front.

I followed all his recommendations and mine are almost within spec. The high values at smaller throttle openings at all RPMs are going to kill your commute mpg in traffic. I 1/4thed them and got my mpg back. I may try slightly increasing them from now on. Otherwise the flash is working great!

I had similar results. My mileage actually didn't increase or decrease. I'm very satisfied with my reflash and Ivan does an outstanding job. I'm going to start a new thread on a map that I used with his reflash and I was able to achieve 46mpg. I was amazed at this result considering that the best I was achieving was 35mpg. Also experimenting with another map and want to see the results before I post.

I had similar results. My mileage actually didn't increase or decrease. I'm very satisfied with my reflash and Ivan does an outstanding job. I'm going to start a new thread on a map that I used with his reflash and I was able to achieve 46mpg. I was amazed at this result considering that the best I was achieving was 35mpg. Also experimenting with another map and want to see the results before I post.

What have you done to achieve that MPG? Please be careful as you can lean out the map too much and do damage to the motor.

I am curious as to why you would move the ECU to under the seat. Once you ride with it, you will likely never remove it again.

Same here, I have a PCV, tools and a puncture repair kit under there.
There's no room for an ecu that doesn't need to be moved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

The bike is never starving for air with the cut airbox. I use the extra space under the seat for my PC3, tools and a rag.

I have the Copperdog Strike cowl. Under the two seats is the PCV, Flashlight, tools including 1/4" drive ratchet and 8, 10 and 12mm sockets, tire repair kit with mushroom plugs, Slime air compressor, electrical tape, Zip Ties, air gauge, 4 small bungie cords and a small bottle of Aspirin. I am extremely efficient at packing! I have plenty of room for the ECU above the battery.

Same here, I have a PCV, tools and a puncture repair kit under there.
There's no room for an ecu that doesn't need to be moved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
Ditto.. doesn't make sense. I like the that space for all that stuff and I really hate carrying it in a tailbag. All my bike's should be able to accomodate atleast the basic emergency tools.

Still don't see the point of moving the ECU. Ivan discourages the mod to reroute the wires out of the intake (says it doesn't do squat) and I would think similarly the that presence of the ECU isn't a performance issue at all. Its already got a factory engineered home safe and snug with the wiring harness neatly routed.

As I recall, Hellgate was swapping the ecus around regularly for testing so the convenience of an underseat access makes some sense but to do this as a "performance" mod?? Keep it where it is . . .

What have you done to achieve that MPG? Please be careful as you can lean out the map too much and do damage to the motor.

Is it possible to lean out a 4 stroke motor too much and do damage? I know others have obtained similar results without damage so the question should be can you lean out your bike with a programmer and cause damage from a lean condition?

Back