How To: Roth AIS Block Off Plates Installation

Thanks!

So do you think this will work for the wrench? Then I will just need to get my hands on a 5mm bit for it!

8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver

That will work. Keep in mind that the Pittsburgh tools aren't the highest quality. $20 for the Craftsman set and they have to replace them if they break. ;)

Either will work though but try and get a quality 5mm bit no matter what. Hate to see you strip out one of these heads. :eek5: Actually, a set with 4, 5, 6 and 8 in it would be ideal for the FZ1. :tup:

That will work. Keep in mind that the Pittsburgh tools aren't the highest quality. $20 for the Craftsman set and they have to replace them if they break. ;)

Either will work though but try and get a quality 5mm bit no matter what. Hate to see you strip out one of these heads. :eek5: Actually, a set with 4, 5, 6 and 8 in it would be ideal for the FZ1. :tup:

Oh I totally agree. I don't normally buy stuff from harbor freight, but I figure this is a use it once or twice tool and if it breaks then I will just toss it. Actually I think they'll replace it for free....but its not worth the gas to go and get it.

Im not too worried about stripping the head, I have been around a few motor builds and have a pretty decent feel on if the bolts aren't acting like the should coming in our out.

Sounds like I will need to make a run tomorrow to the tool store!

Picked up the wrench and a bit set today at lunch, and looks like it'll work great and make this job a LOT easier.

Plan to do the job tonight, gonna have a buddy come over for help.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance...will let you all know how it goes!

Also forgot to ask....

I didn't see any reference to needing any gasket type material on the plates, so I assume it's safe to say I don't need anything? Just remove the existing ones and put the new block off plates on?

Thanks!

I didn't use anything there. The plates came off clean and I made sure both mating surfaces were clean when I bolted it back down.

Remember to be very careful of that lower radiator bracket if you are not removing the radiator. Got a tennis ball you can cut a slice into and sacrifice to put over it? ;)

Sounds good, I'll just run with them not using any liquid gasket material. Of course, will make sure the mating surfaces are cleaned up well.

And good call on the rad bracket idea, I just happen to have an old racquetball that I can use!

UGH, what a crappy install! That was not fun at all!

Thank you all for your advice, pictures, and recommendations! The ratchet from harbor freight and the 5mm bit was a life saver for sure! So glad that I had that to make this job easier. It was fantastic to have been able to read through your experiences to make mine a little easier. Anyways....got them installed. I wrapped electrical tape around the connector and sealed it up. Zip tied it to another bundle of wires under there so it will remain out of the way of the radiator fan, and will stay out of the throttle cables too. I put the plug over the air box and put silicone to seal it up, just waiting a day or 2 to harden and make sure its sealed good and tight!

I don't think I had any other issues or questions, just glad THAT is done!

Again....THANK YOU ALL for your help!

UGH, what a crappy install! That was not fun at all!

Thank you all for your advice, pictures, and recommendations! The ratchet from harbor freight and the 5mm bit was a life saver for sure! So glad that I had that to make this job easier. It was fantastic to have been able to read through your experiences to make mine a little easier. Anyways....got them installed. I wrapped electrical tape around the connector and sealed it up. Zip tied it to another bundle of wires under there so it will remain out of the way of the radiator fan, and will stay out of the throttle cables too. I put the plug over the air box and put silicone to seal it up, just waiting a day or 2 to harden and make sure its sealed good and tight!

I don't think I had any other issues or questions, just glad THAT is done!

Again....THANK YOU ALL for your help!

Not a fun task but when you need to change the plugs later, you'll be ever more thankful! Congrats and well done! :tup:

Removed my AIS yesterday, installed Powderkeg Performance blockoff plates today with a little drilling. These plates didn't allow enough clearance for my USA 07 FZ1S's little reed plate posts so I drilled enough material out of the plates where the post went.
The first screw was the toughest when removing the AIS. I had an allen key, so I was struggling with clearance and quarter turns. Truly a PITA install, though not complicated thanks to all you beautiful forum members.
Having a service manual handy is a good idea

Removed my AIS yesterday, installed Powderkeg Performance blockoff plates today with a little drilling. These plates didn't allow enough clearance for my USA 07 FZ1S's little reed plate posts so I drilled enough material out of the plates where the post went.....

I bought those same plates and I guess you're saying that in spite of their advertising to the contrary, you have to mod the plates to fit? My set have kind of a trench cast into one end, did yours and it just wasn't big enough??

I'm Curious as well....indeo, did yours have the big oval shaped cutout? They show a set with just two holes so maybe they made some changes. I was wondering if the cutout was deep enough to clear the dowel but it seems ok.

Did this mod last weekend.

Thank god the mini ratchet was advised, it made the job bearable!

Changed the plugs while I was at it, also pretty painless with the AIS removed.

Top pictures and advice made this job not too bad.

For those that have done this, how long did it take? I'm trying to figure out a time to do this when I'll be able to sit down & do the whole thing start to finish. It get's mighty dusty here in Australia this time of year and I don't want to leave the bike sitting around with parts off longer than I have to.

Did this on saturday using a 5mm allen key, my god what a PITA! Used Ivans plates.

Only thing I noticed was the bike idled lower after I had installed these? Not sure how this is even possible? It has always idled low (only had her since middle of Feb 14) but it was now idling at 500rpm.. Easily cured with a few turns of the screw. Any ideas why this would happen? Only mods are a Micron slip-on

Back