How To: Roth AIS Block Off Plates Installation

If poping is really the issue, because of the explosions occuring in the exhaust track when the fresh air hits the unburned fuel, a simple plug in the line will sop the flow and hece the explosions. I did it on my Speedmaster because on decel, it would sound like a shotgun going off, literally. The poping stopped immediately and I was able to return the bike to stock in a matter of minutes when I traded it. Another school of thought is to eliminate the extra plumbing to make maintenance easier and "clean up the appearance of the engine.

When eliminating the system you are turning a bike that is EPA compliant into one that isn't. That may still not be a concern to the owner unless you live in a state or locale where EPA testing is mandatory, and they check for things like AIS systems. I have lived in Michigan, Mississppi, and Hawaii and all have had emissions testing at one time or another and it can get expensive is you fail and must bring the behicle within standards.

I don't know why, but my 08, with a MIVV Suono, air box mod, and PCIII has no poping whatsoever. I don't know why, but it doesn't. I was pondering the AI blockoff but then I decided that puting the thing back to stock would be too much of a job for me if and when I sold it, or Michigan started the emissions testing again. Anyway, it's a concern that should be taken into account whenever doing a modification that will have an affect on the EPA compliance of a street motor vehicle. Even the airbox mod may have a concern for some when the EPA is "sniffing" around. Be aware, be wise, don't have regrets.

^ Mine to, no popping at all unless I'm waaaay past legal speeds and way over 9000 rpm. So much of the popping issue has to do with having a good tune.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

yeah, I still need a powercommander and a good tune, but returning the bike back to stock wont be a problem, as I keep all the removed parts.

Each to their own.
I suppose the popping really bugs some people so they block or remove the AIS.
With my Akra the popping is not so bad and I reckon it sounds cool and suits the nature of my naked FZ1. I will be popping for some time to come yet.

is it still possible to get fire like on link below from exhaust when you remove AIS with plates?!

Dont think so that AIS is removed here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuNMLY6XXQ"]YouTube - yamaha fz1 yoshi fire[/ame]

Last edited:
Bump...

I kind of wished I had read all the way through this thread before doing the AIS removal. I just completed it yesterday and it was a REAL PITA!!! In hindsight, I would have left the pump and just plugged the port into the airbox. I believe I saw this mod on this forum somewhere where you remove the hose from the pump, insert a hex bolt into the hose and cap the port in the airbox. Is this what everyone here was talking about?

Edit: It was the Copperdawg video that shows how to just block the AIS.

Last edited:
Bump...

I kind of wished I had read all the way through this thread before doing the AIS removal. I just completed it yesterday and it was a REAL PITA!!! In hindsight, I would have left the pump and just plugged the port into the airbox. I believe I saw this mod on this forum somewhere where you remove the hose from the pump, insert a hex bolt into the hose and cap the port in the airbox. Is this what everyone here was talking about?

Edit: It was the Copperdawg video that shows how to just block the AIS.

Marble and glue.

It's a knuckle buster job for sure. Did my buddies R1 a couple months ago. We found a wrench at Home Depot made by Husky a little smaller than this one and it was a god send for this job. :Rockon:

It's a knuckle buster job for sure. Did my buddies R1 a couple months ago. We found a wrench at Home Depot made by Husky a little smaller than this one and it was a god send for this job. :Rockon:

I've got several of those, I don't use them that often, but when I need them they are a lifesaver.

So I ordered the plates and went to do this today.

Got to thinking maybe I'll just plug off the hole in the airbox instead of the huge hassle to do the kit.

I installed a small rubber plug with some glue then zip tied it just to be extra secure. Think this will work ok??

Thanks!

Should be ok so long as that zip tie is very tight. Before yanking the AIS completely, I pulled the hose, plugged it with a wire nut forced into the hose then topped it with silicone and attached the hose. Then I filled the airbox hole with silicone too. I let it set for about 30 hrs before starting the bike.

I had previously blocked my AIS system with an aluminium plug I turned up at work and a hose clamp but it still didn't stop all of the popping and occasionally it would let out a huge backfire.

Needless to say I unblocked it after that and just got used to the popping.

If I were to do it all again I would definitely remove the whole AIS system and install the block off plates.

Thanks guys. I installed it with some grip glue so I should setup pretty well and hold ok, plus I put the zip tie on and pulled it tight with pliers to make sure it stays on.

So is it better to have installed it on the outside? Is the risk that it would come loose and get into one of the intakes?

I'm just thinking how much of a huge pain the plates are, but maybe I'll decide down the road to install them anyways.

At least with this current setup it's pretty easily reversible.... If there's issues where I get backfiring or something.

Appreciate the advice guys!

Thanks guys. I installed it with some grip glue so I should setup pretty well and hold ok, plus I put the zip tie on and pulled it tight with pliers to make sure it stays on.

So is it better to have installed it on the outside? Is the risk that it would come loose and get into one of the intakes?

I'm just thinking how much of a huge pain the plates are, but maybe I'll decide down the road to install them anyways.

At least with this current setup it's pretty easily reversible.... If there's issues where I get backfiring or something.

Appreciate the advice guys!

At the time I was told to look for air leaks anywhere on the AIS system, apparently that's why I was still getting some popping and the occasional back fire.
Anyway good luck with it all.

Alright, so I am going to go about this the right way later this week instead of just doing this plug in the air box. The more I read the perfectionist in me says that it needs done the right way with the plates, especially since I already have them in my possession.

The question is....what is the magical wrench that I need to get? I looked at that harbor freight tool and I can't find a 5mm bit to fit in there, because the 5/16 socket is too large for the normal bits to work.

Can someone suggest something to help me out?

Thanks guys!

Alright, so I am going to go about this the right way later this week instead of just doing this plug in the air box. The more I read the perfectionist in me says that it needs done the right way with the plates, especially since I already have them in my possession.

The question is....what is the magical wrench that I need to get? I looked at that harbor freight tool and I can't find a 5mm bit to fit in there, because the 5/16 socket is too large for the normal bits to work.

Can someone suggest something to help me out?

Thanks guys!

I bought this and then a separate set of hex bits. Made the job VERY easy! Of course, I only ran a blocked AIS until it was time to change the plugs and coolant, then I just removed the radiator and that made the job SUPER EASY. :D Craftsman 7 pc. Bit Wrench Set Get this set, get the short hex bit metrics and you'll have no troubles.

I bought this and then a separate set of hex bits. Made the job VERY easy! Of course, I only ran a blocked AIS until it was time to change the plugs and coolant, then I just removed the radiator and that made the job SUPER EASY. :D Craftsman 7 pc. Bit Wrench Set Get this set, get the short hex bit metrics and you'll have no troubles.

Thanks!

So do you think this will work for the wrench? Then I will just need to get my hands on a 5mm bit for it!

8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver

Back