How To: Roth AIS Block Off Plates Installation

That is why put a filter so that it does not drip and wash it every month or so.

I had a 150cc scooter in which I did the same thing after changing the exhaust and rejetting. What I did was take an 1-1/2" x 6" black pvc pipe and capped it top and bottom. Then I drilled and tapped a one way check valve coming into the bottom and another check valve up top. It worked great. Any oil entered the canister at the bottom through the valve and the top valve let any build-up of pressure escape, keeping the inside of the engine compartment squeaky clean and free of oil.

I am a little confused here...dosn't juts plugging the hose remove the popping?

Yes, it does Joe. Blocking accomplishes the end result. Removal of the entire AIS system is mostly done to allow easier access to the plugs as well as remove a little bit of weight. There are no other benefits to complete removal.

The rest of the discussion is regarding the hose at the rear of the airbox which is the crankcase breather. :D

Yes, it does Joe. Blocking accomplishes the end result. Removal of the entire AIS system is mostly done to allow easier access to the plugs as well as remove a little bit of weight. There are no other benefits to complete removal.

The rest of the discussion is regarding the hose at the rear of the airbox which is the crankcase breather. :D

Eric, couple more benefits I have listed in the OP. Dyno tuning accurate A/F ratio and longetivity of the slipon.

Eric, couple more benefits I have listed in the OP. Dyno tuning accurate A/F ratio and longetivity of the slipon.

Whether you block the AIS at the airbox or install the plates, the results are the same or are you talking about the crank breather with this statement?

Just the AIS though... there is no difference for the A/F ratio or longetivity of the slipon.

The hot fumes from the crankcase are routed back into the airbox making for an higher intake temperature. I would imagine the colder the air the better for power hence vent the crankcase to the atmosphere and put a steel mesh reusable filter to accumulate any oil that comes through. So far mine is clean. One drawback is I now have a hotter seat.

AIS does it the other way round to burn the unburnt fuel at the exhaust ports of the cylinder heads by injecting fresh air. Cooler air goes in through AIS vent in left of the airbox base on the inside and hotter crankcase air comes in through the vent on the back of the airbox base on the outside.

Someone can feel free to correct me.

Hi in your opinion is there any benefit in removing the ASI apart from the popping on deceleration Thanks.

Another reason for crankcase ventilation mod:

A breather filter relieves your engine of positive crankcase pressure and recycled carbon vapors from your engine, which cause loss of throttle response due to build-up on the throttle body. The Breather helps resolve that problem, by venting the vapors into the atmosphere.

I have personally seen residue built up on the subthrottle plates. Didn't look good.

I did this mod two days ago, AWESOME! I didn't do the crankcase however. But I wanted to thank you VERY much for this information in this post, it REALLY helped me do this myself. You rock!! :Rockon:

NEXT! Velocity stacks on order...as I scroll on over to your how to on those. :)

Last edited:
Got a lower profile I got from ebay for $6 - APC brand 12mm to replace the $11 from advance auto.

4690407413_31d25a8dba_b.jpg

Alternative to Block-off plates?

This weekend I removed the AIS pump, and not having custom block off plates, I simply went to Home Depot and picked up a 1/2 inch brass nipple barbed on both ends (about the lenght of the pump end-to-end, $2) and simply tied both hoses coming from the heads together where the pump was. Does anyone see any issue with tying both hoses together? It was a simple and inexpensive alternative to the block-off plates. Thanks.

This weekend I removed the AIS pump, and not having custom block off plates, I simply went to Home Depot and picked up a 1/2 inch brass nipple barbed on both ends (about the lenght of the pump end-to-end, $2) and simply tied both hoses coming from the heads together where the pump was. Does anyone see any issue with tying both hoses together? It was a simple and inexpensive alternative to the block-off plates. Thanks.

Considering the hoses that you tied together are both inlet points to the heads I can't see anything detrimental in doing what did (connecting them). A cheap solution whith the only drawback being that it did not clear up much room around the plugs like the blcok off plates would have. For $2 I could live with that.

quick question, i installed the block off plates and yet i still have popping sounds from my aftermarket exhaust when i decelerate. any of you guys have this same problem? thanks

i just finished the block off plates, changed my plugs, took the exup servo off. that saves around 8 lbs. but i pulled the radiator off and it made the job a hell of a lot easier!! my back is still killing me tho!! s
thanks for the post, it showed the gist of wat i needed to accomplish!

Back