Gen III FZ1

You keep quoting the 04 R1........Last time I checked its 2012 :)

He references the 2004 R1 and I can tell you this, my buddies '04 eats my FZ's lunch. I have also ridden it several times and there is really no comparison, it does everything better except pass semi trucks on the highway. :) Get's pushed around by wind easier!

Last edited:
"It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4,"

The R1 may have less torque in the LOWER RPM RANGE.......but that's still less torque :) I giggle every time you make the FZ1 out to be a torque monster.

I am not making out it is a "torque monster", stating a proven point the FZ1 has more torque in low-mid than the R1 which is a proven point from comparing dyno results. = Factual info

Your not going to win any drag races with the FZ1 against the R1 stock vs stock or 2 bikes with similar modifications . That I'm sure of ! :n

" If you believe the bike reviews hp & tq claims you will find a big difference once dynoed, these fictional numbers "

Yes I believe the bike reviews When I use the same magazine and same dyno to compare the numbers...AND WHEN COMPARING REAR WHEEL NUMBERS TO REAR WHEEL NUMBERS not rear wheel to crank shaft numbers :)
You mislead people when you compare rear wheel HP/TQ to crankshaft HP/TQ. :)
When comparing rear wheel dyno numbers the R1 has approximately a 20-25 hp advantage and approximately a 10ft/lb torque advantage

I dont trust manufactures hp & tq claims i prefer dyno proof. Again thisn extra 10ft you claim is a fantasy :bs2:

You keep quoting the 04 R1........Last time I checked its 2012 :)

Why compare apples with oranges?, maybe you are unaware but the 04-06R1 share the 5v livery of the current FZ1, dont compare it to the 4v R1 or crossplane?

Yes the FZ1's heavier crank and different cam timing has moved the torque
lower in the rpm range, but it ultimately makes less torque overall than the R1.

Again your quoting my comments about make more low-mid tq :deadhorse:

Take a stock R1 and and stock FZ1 on the track.......the R1 will brake, handle, accelerate better.........Throw a few thousand dollars at BOTH bikes and..........the R1 will brake handle and accelerate better :)

Of course it will be it came out with better suspension, brakes & lighter, i agree but my point is a full modded FZ1 can cut it on the track. Have you ever had it on a track & pushed it harder enough? or is it chicken strips?, so you are unqualified to comment.

" It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4 "

If your launching both bikes correctly....YOUR NOT USING THE LOW END POWER :)
The only advantage the FZ1 has in the 1/4 mile is wheelbase and weight ( its easier to launch )
A talented rider may 60ft better on the FZ1 but its game over for the FZ1 before the 1/8th mile. The R1 is lighter and makes more power. Pretty simple to figure out which one is going to win a acceleration contest.

Comparing R1 and FZ1 torque is like arguing the strength of wet news paper to a wet paper bag. They are both pretty weak :)

Maybe you have one of those 105hp restricted FZ1's or a kinked fuel line?, my FZ1 power wheelis in 2nd not even my mates Tuono does that, yeah its never goint to be a 1198 down low but the FZ1 is all about mid-range where 99% riders use most the time.

Just because I own a FZ1 does not mean I need to become delusional and think its better in any way than a R1 when your comparing pure performance.

You have totaly missed to point brew :dump:
( acceleration, braking, handling )

You have take a few statements out of context & then agreed with me on many facts?. Strange

Last edited:
QUOTE "I am not making out it is a "torque monster", stating a proven point the FZ1 has more torque in low-mid than the R1 which is a proven point from comparing dyno results. = Factual info" QUOTE

Once again your " factual info" is utter nonsense.
Sine you insist on comparing the 04-06 R1 to the FZ1 I've supplied " dyno charts for that model year :)

View attachment 8889 Lets let the dyno tell the story :nana:
stock FZ1 does not make over 60ftlbs until
over 7500rpm. 130 hp 65ftlbs
View attachment 8890 Stock R1 making 60ftlbs at 5000 rpm
152 hp 72 ftlbs

So the R1 makes 22HP more and 7ftlbs more
AND STARTS MAKING MORE TORQUE 2500 RPM SOONER !
These are the stock numbers add exhaust to both bikes and the R1 really puts a hurting on the FZ1 HP and TQ numbers.

Last edited:
Maybe you have one of those 105hp restricted FZ1's or a kinked fuel line?, my FZ1 power wheelis in 2nd not even my mates Tuono does that, yeah its never goint to be a 1198 down low but the FZ1 is all about mid-range where 99% riders use most the time.

" The FZ1 is all about mid-range "

Please tell me that was an attempt at humor ! The Mid-range is one of the most criticized aspects of the FZ1 motor. She screams pretty good above 7500rpm but when compared to most 1000cc bikes is pretty weak in the 4000-7000rpm range.

Last edited:
" The FZ1 is all about mid-range "

Please tell me that was an attempt at humor ! The Mid-range is one of the most criticized aspects of the FZ1 motor. She screams pretty good above 7500rpm but when compared to most 1000cc bikes is pretty weak in the 4000-7000rpm range.

Well I have news for you guys...I've yet to ride a Yamaha liter sportbike produced in the past 20 years that had good mid-range like say a Suzuki Bandit 1250. I've owned a few Yamaha over the years ('88 and '92 FZR1000, '97 YZF1000 and '06 FZ1), not to mention the ones I've test ridden. Yamaha liter bikes have always been known for their killer top-end, which was probably made even more noticeable by their lack of mid-range.

I'll never forget my first ride on my '92 FZR1000. I took it for a test ride on some city streets where I never really opened it up. I came back and asked the seller if there was something wrong with the bike because it felt so "weak". His response was "She comes alive after 8k RPM", and he wasn't kidding. I remember on the ride home I finally got to open it up on the highway and I was amazed at the top-end power.

All that being said there are certainly ways to make the FZ1 gain some street friendly mid-range torque (16T front sprocket and full length headers with proper tune are two mods that come to mind). I really have no complaints about my fully modded FZ1, but it really doesn't come alive until the upper third of the RPM range.

You must of missed the chance to ride the First gen R1 and first Gen FZ1. They all had decent mid-range not to mention the FJ 1100/1200.

Well the FJ was air cooled and what I consider "oldschool" so I was not even thinking about them. They were more sport-touring than anything else.

As for the Gen I R1 and FZ1 they are still what I consider more top-end heavy than mid-range torque monsters, but I guess we all have our own opinions and I can certainly respect your point of view even if I disagree...

- Improved wheel hubs: cermaic rollers and replace that giant ass needle bearing in the rear hub,
- Independantly mounted rear brake caliper,
- Comp./ Damp in both forks,
- Re-balance the crank to move the vibration frequency out of the optimum operating RPM,

General ergo improvements: seat, windscreen, ect.

How about, redesigning the cosmetics of the gen 1 and add R1 suspension/fuel injection. Add a longer stroke to get some low end performance and maybe some displacement in the bargain.

- Improved wheel hubs: cermaic rollers and replace that giant ass needle bearing in the rear hub,
- Independantly mounted rear brake caliper,- Comp./ Damp in both forks,
- Re-balance the crank to move the vibration frequency out of the optimum operating RPM,

General ergo improvements: seat, windscreen, ect.

Rear brake caliper? Who uses those!? ;)

How about, redesigning the cosmetics of the gen 1 and add R1 suspension/fuel injection. Add a longer stroke to get some low end performance and maybe some displacement in the bargain.

Ill have half the equation with an 08 front end and wheels. Gonna half to scratch my head on the FI portion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Gen III? That's a massive list. I can do a Gen 2.5.

Lower First Gear.
Taller 6th Gear. (I do all my playing in 2nd through 5th gears. 1st is for getting started and 6th is for making miles on the super slab)
Radial Mount Brakes
Factory SS brake lines
Better suspension is always welcome.

What I don't want. R1 suspension, R1 motor, R1 clip ons, R1 fairing. If I wanted all of that, I'd get an R1.

Roy

Lower First Gear.
Taller 6th Gear. (I do all my playing in 2nd through 5th gears. 1st is for getting started and 6th is for making miles on the super slab)
Radial Mount Brakes
Factory SS brake lines

What I don't want. R1 suspension, R1 motor, R1 clip ons, R1 fairing. If I wanted all of that, I'd get an R1.

Roy

Well lower first gear is easy...just take it from the FZ8 parts bin.

Taller 6th gear can be easily done by just changing the rear sprocket to something like a 43T or 44T one since first gear will already be lower it really shouldn't affect performance.

Radial mounted brakes can easily be taken from the R6. It's just a matter of Yamaha using the R6 fork lowers, calipers and rotors.

Well not that big a deal since aftermarket has plenty of solutions. Radial calipers and master cylinder will already have improved braking over current Gen II set up.

Suspension...well put R1 internals on the FZ1 forks and replace rear shock with something better (adapt R1 one).

See I have all the solutions for Yamaha :D only solution I don't have is how to keep the price competitive after doing all these "upgrades" at the factory :(

Rear brake caliper? Who uses those!? ;)

People who don't know what the other front lever is for...... not me. But I can't tell you how many good quality swear words I've wasted during tire changes/ other maint. that requres the removal of the rear wheel, when trying to get the damn thing back on with that rediculous bracket contraption thats there now....

Lower First Gear.
Radial Mount Brakes
Factory SS brake lines

Roy

I have a Ohlin hydraulic remote rear, and Completely re-valved front from RaceTech and I'll tell you, it was a religious exp. the first ride after the swap...

FZ1 into R1

The money I have spent trying to turn an FZ1 into an R1 is just insane. Buy an R1 and do a flat bar conversion. If you need more comfort go for a GSXR.
As much as I love my Fazer; If I had to do it all again, I'd convert a GSXR 1000. (Create your own wheelie happy loony tunes bike)

Back