Gen III FZ1

YEAH I GET THAT, i'm not an idiot. The claim was made the RSV4 and Tuono are the same mill............they are not. I know what claimed hp from manufacture and crank hp vs wheel hp is. I was only saying the two bikes are NOT exact performance wise.

You posted 180hp for the RSV4 in response to my 154 for the Tuono
but compared crank hp to rear wheel hp...........so I assumed you were still a little confused....:noworries:

Correct they are not 100% identical more like 99.5% and about a 10hp difference at the wheel.

Unlike the FZ1 and R1 that are more like 85% the same engine and 25hp or more difference

Everything I've read about the RSV4 and RSV4 Tuono point to them being the exact same engine except for the cams. Same crank, same compression ration, same throttle bodies same rods same pistons. So your correct they are not identical...........just 99.5 percent identical and 10 hp apart.

Last edited:
You posted 180hp for the RSV4 in response to my 154 for the Tuono
but compared crank hp to rear wheel hp...........so I assumed you were still a little confused....:noworries:

Correct they are not 100% identical more like 99.5% and about a 10hp difference at the wheel.

Unlike the FZ1 and R1 that are more like 85% the same engine and 25hp or more difference.

Yeah that was only a copy/paste from one article is all. Regardless, manufacture's almost never give one of their naked, sport touring, etc bike's the same performance of their SS bikes. And to be honest, my FZ1 has plenty of "giddyup" for me. I wish it had a bit more grunt on the bottom but oh well. I had a 16t on and that was fun but on longer trips I was only going 100ish miles between fill ups. Plus it had more high pitched vibs coming through the bars cruising at the higher rpm's.

Yeah that was only a copy/paste from one article is all. Regardless, manufacture's almost never give one of their naked, sport touring, etc bike's the same performance of their SS bikes. And to be honest, my FZ1 has plenty of "giddyup" for me. I wish it had a bit more grunt on the bottom but oh well. I had a 16t on and that was fun but on longer trips I was only going 100ish miles between fill ups. Plus it had more high pitched vibs coming through the bars cruising at the higher rpm's.

Check out some of the tests/reviews of the RSV4 Tuono online. This thing is the real deal 99% of the sportbike it was based on.
I just hope the Japanese follow suit and do the same thing ! Just can't bring myself to buy an Italian bike too expensive and I worry about reliability not to mention maintenance and parts cost.

Personal note..........I often come across as a jerk online :) Sorry !! Tend to get right to the point and say what I think when hobbled with a keyboard. Much gentler in person. :) Written word may not be my forte. I swear sometimes I read some of the &hit I post and think what the Hell am I doing.

Last edited:
Check out some of the tests/reviews of the RSV4 Tuono online. This thing is the real deal 99% of the sportbike it was based on.
I just hope the Japanese follow suit and do the same thing ! Just can't bring myself to buy an Italian bike too expensive and I worry about reliability not to mention maintenance and parts cost.

Maintenance is usually high and far to often (Ducati's are outrageous), thats the biggest benefit the Jap bikes have, along with bulletproof reliability. I want my 2013 FZ1 with the V-4 Vmax engine................that would be fun.

Last edited:
Maintenance is usually high and far to often (Ducati's are outrageous), thats the biggest benefit the Jap bikes have, along with bulletproof reliability. I want my 2013 FZ1 with the V-4 Vmax engine................that would be fun.

I don't think anyone would complain about the low end torgue with that engine ! HAHA

Personal note..........I often come across as a jerk online :) Sorry !! Tend to get right to the point and say what I think when hobbled with a keyboard. Much gentler in person. :) Written word may not be my forte. I swear sometimes I read some of the &hit I post and think what the Hell am I doing.

No worries! I sound like a dick sometimes. I have pretty thick skin though so don't worry about it! I would still buy you a burger if we ever met!

i want the Vmax Roland Sands modded up!! :deal:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkgWgEDbUU]Custom VMAX Hyper Modified Roland Sands - YouTube[/ame]

You want a bike that will blow your friends into the weeds? Learn how to ride!! Get some track time and with some good track instruction and you'll ride the wheels off your buddie's flavor-of-the-day superbike. It's technique, not raw horsepower.

How about something simple.......like a lock for your helmet.

That would be amazing!! I have found a nifty trick though. If you loop the helmet strap through the forward most rear seat catch and angle the helmet on the tail section while putting the seat on you can transport a spare helmet if you're going to pick up a passenger for example.

You want a bike that will blow your friends into the weeds? Learn how to ride!! Get some track time and with some good track instruction and you'll ride the wheels off your buddie's flavor-of-the-day superbike. It's technique, not raw horsepower.

Well said and I'll never knock improving your skills.

Thing is I'm not worried about blowing anyone into the weeds. I just want the bike that's most enjoyable to ride...FOR ME.

This is a thread about what people would like for a future model :)

I almost forgot one of my biggest complaints about the current FZ1 !

1st gear is too tall and 6th too short. I feel like I'm starting off in second and I'm always wishing for 7th gear.

So please Yamaha a lower ratio 1st and some more over drive in 6th :)

That would be amazing!! I have found a nifty trick though. If you loop the helmet strap through the forward most rear seat catch and angle the helmet on the tail section while putting the seat on you can transport a spare helmet if you're going to pick up a passenger for example.

Post a pic I would like to see this, I usually strap my to the grab strap on the rear seat.
The helmet lock on the fz6 is nice.
however I find the helmet sticks out a little too far

Cross-plane would be nice.

Fairings? No way! The FZ line is a semi-naked/naked line of Yamaha bikes. Of course the FZ6R ruined THAT! LOL!

I totally agree on the gearing... I often don't even use 1st gear, especially around the city. 6th could easily be a better over-drive. Steal that ratio from the C14 and we're in business.

How about a larger fuel tank??? Why do we have to lose a gallon of fuel for some stupid decorative tank cowl? What is the purpose of that cowl? I see another 40 miles of gasoline in that space!!! Get me to 200 miles (comfortably) on a single tank of fuel please!!!

Better stock suspension.... anyone? This is America. Most people are larger and weigh more than what these bikes come sprung for. If you're marketing to Americans then build a beefier bike that better suits our size when it is stock.

Seats... I don't think Yamaha will ever get this right. Never in all my years of owning a Yamaha has the stock seat been anything to consider comfortable nor are their optional seats. Always plan on buying third party or modding the stock seats.

Of course, it sounds more like people was a "comfortable R1" instead... Here you go... Spiegler Performance Parts - and a set of adjustable rearsets and you are all set... got what you wanted, you're R1 with the FZ1 ergos. :yes:

8-way adjustable LSL rearsets:
118K120%20mLi.jpg

Last edited:
overall the fz1 is a complete package for me
super googan is spot on about the gearing

but if i had my way,
seat should be a little more comfy
timing retard in lower gears should be controlled with on/off
power limiter system
grease fittings for suspension linkage and steering stem
numbered snail chain adjusters, easier than measuring lines on the swingarm
a little more storage under the seat(s)