Gen III FZ1

I know what you all mean about 1st gear being too tall. I only use it to take off from a light or in a parking lot. Second and third are perfect around town because of all the torque. A larger fuel tank would also be better, especially instead of a detuned motor.

FZ1 wasn't really detuned it was strandled, a heavier crank means more torque than the R1, which means it is faster over 1/4 mile. The 1-3 gear restrictions are on the R1 aswell and the motor was never going to make 13500 rpm redline without something going bang?. It is what it is and a fully modded FZ1 can hold its own on the track with all the other rice rockets. IMO the gen3 will never happen after 6yrs and nothing?. The way the Japs are going there seems to be a lack of development just look at the "new" GSXR1000? & Fireblade, simple reality is nobody is buying new Jap bikes atm, you can have a RSV V4 for the same $ as a new R1 WTF???, this is why the European manufactures are smoking them :smokin2:.

If i was to develop a gen3 Fazer = 07-08 R1 4 valve motor incl variable trumpets, slipper clutch, fly by wire.

R1 spec suspension, adjustable rearsets, R1 spec brakes, decient seat & loose 25kg +.

Personally, I'd like to see a totally new take on pannier case attachment, adjustable screen, real suspension, reduced unsprung mass, shorter 1st and taller 6th gears, class leading 24-5litre fuel tank, switchable mode power/economy/torque delivery, accessory power outlets for and aft, HIDs or LED headlights, more underseat storage, keyless access, seperate key release for the seat(left turn for front-right turn for back), mounting points for auxilary lights, quick release and re-attach centre stand and an official FZ1 Yammy owner website to heckle, advise and complain to the white coats.

The Gen3 will arrive sooner or later but may not be anytime soon as it is a scraps bike. Sorry but it's true. Besides, Yammy has had their hands full with the VMax and then the Tenere and developing product for emerging markets, namely India and south-east asia. Mostly punny little econoboxes. Plus, the R1 is in dire need of ..... something and despite some changes they keep missing the mark.
Don't be surprised to see the crossplane in the Gen3 when the current R1 gets a new engine, just as they did with the 04-06R1. Sorry but the 07-08, although a sweet motor, has lost its production line. So the Gen3 may indeed be on hold until the next R1 hits the streets with a new engine.

As to the 'Japs' losing the market.. . total production in Japan was down 3.8% but exports were up 2.3%. Furthermore, December showed a sizeable bounce-back after the tsunami interupted the parts supply, with 8.3% increas in production demand as compared to the same period in 2010. Kawasaki was the biggest winner with a total production increase of 2.5%. The europeans are finally starting to make some competitive bikes but are still far behind in quality, reliability(bar BMW) and maintenance intervals/costs and many consumers are still seeing that. Especially in the niche markets where quality sells over price. Let's face it, sportbikes are a luxury item, who really buys an R1 out of commuting necessity.

It's already been posted.....an R1 w/ergonomics of the FZ + hard bags, adjustable windscreen/etc. The Japs need to look at the market and see what Duc did w/the MS....their best selling bike! I am willing to pay for the GREAT suspension and brakes, a package that I can ride (I'm 56 and have taken several 3000+ miles trips on my '08 FZ), + the performance (motor) of the R1 . . . or for that matter, a GSXR/etc.

FZ1 wasn't really detuned it was strandled, a heavier crank means more torque than the R1, which means it is faster over 1/4 mile. The 1-3 gear restrictions are on the R1 aswell and the motor was never going to make 13500 rpm redline without something going bang?. It is what it is and a fully modded FZ1 can hold its own on the track with all the other rice rockets. IMO the gen3 will never happen after 6yrs and nothing?. The way the Japs are going there seems to be a lack of development just look at the "new" GSXR1000? & Fireblade, simple reality is nobody is buying new Jap bikes atm, you can have a RSV V4 for the same $ as a new R1 WTF???, this is why the European manufactures are smoking them :smokin2:.

If i was to develop a gen3 Fazer = 07-08 R1 4 valve motor incl variable trumpets, slipper clutch, fly by wire.

R1 spec suspension, adjustable rearsets, R1 spec brakes, decient seat & loose 25kg +.

Not sure if you were on a tired R1 or what but I have ridden a few and my FZ isn't running away from an R1 in a 1/4 mile drag race.

Not sure if you were on a tired R1 or what but I have ridden a few and my FZ isn't running away from an R1 in a 1/4 mile drag race.

I agree with that. I took on a 2004 stock R1 with my naked and once the R1 got into the top end of 2nd gear, I got hosed.

I was really surprised at how easy he beat me too and I have 144HP at the rear wheel.

I suppose I will use the lack of aerodynamics as my excuse :)

Last edited:
God, not LOWER pegs ? Slightly higher and further back, or adjustable. Bars like the Ninja 1000?
Please, no! You feel so de-coupled from the front wheel when you're going faster .. Current bars are just fine. Or as high as current, but clip-ons ?
Traction Control that doesn't prevent wheelies, switchable on/off with reset on ignition on/off
Helmet lock, preferably one on each side.
R1 '07 engine, with slightly better low and midrange. Of course more HP than current
No crossplane, it's shit in city traffic
NO longer wheelbase
Sharper steering - sharper fork angle ?
Shorter 1:st gear, longer 6th gear
Better under seat storage.
2L bigger tank
10-15kg OEM exhaust.
20 kg lighter bike (without OEM exhaust)
Side exhaust
Suspension actually developed for the target audience - bigger guys
Shift light
Don't change the instrument cluster. Don't make it digital!
I'd buy that in an eyeblink. I'd camp outside the Yamaha store to be the first in line to order one.

I could be a good project manager at yamaha : make it work , people ! I want it both higher , and lower !

Sent from my mobile phone, please excuse the brevity

I'm surprised by how many have said higher pegs and or lower bars/clip on's.

Why not just buy a sportbike ??? Thought one of the bigest differences between a standard and a sportbike was the relaxed riding position.

Adjustable pegs and cables with enough slack to tailor the bike to individual preference would be nice.

Why not just buy a sportbike ??? Thought one of the bigest differences between a standard and a sportbike was the relaxed riding position.

Adjustable pegs and cables with enough slack to tailor the bike to individual preference would be nice.

Bingo! I bought this bike for the relaxed riding position and sporty motor/chassis.

I have to respectfully disagree on a few points :)

The FZ1 does not make more torque than the R1

FZ1 faster in the 1/4 mile .......... ........... nope

RSV4 for the same price as the R1.........not in the USA. Thousands more here in the USA.

a fully modded FZ1 can hold its own on the track with all the other rice rockets.............MAYBE, but throw the same amount of money at any 1000cc sportbike and your getting smoked BAD. ( equal riders )

I have to respectfully disagree on a few points :)

The FZ1 does not make more torque than the R1

FZ1 faster in the 1/4 mile .......... ........... nope

RSV4 for the same price as the R1.........not in the USA. Thousands more here in the USA.

a fully modded FZ1 can hold its own on the track with all the other rice rockets.............MAYBE, but throw the same amount of money at any 1000cc sportbike and your getting smoked BAD. ( equal riders )

Well have you actually be on the track with the FZ1?, well i have a dozen+ and still counting, my bike is no slouch with proper suspension, tyres & the full Ivan package. The track i ride at has a 1km straight, this is where i get nailed sometimes by the ltr Sportbikes which has a higher redline & top-end, however they have to more braver on the brakes, but only in the last 3rd of the straight is where they can use that top-end power advantage. It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4, this is why it have a heavier crankshaft to produce more tq down low down & mid as mentioned this is well documented on the other forum and has been talked to death for many yrs, also i have owned the 04R1 and had it dynoed with Micro pipes, filter & PC3, tuned from memory it was high 150's & 73ft@ 13k rph, my FZ1 is 153@75ft 10 1/2 rpm. If you believe the bike reviews hp & tq claims you will find a big difference once dynoed, these fictional numbers they come up with are well below par in MCN they claim the FZ1 stock has 150hp 78ft? which happens to be the same as the 04-06R1 but in real world 130hp, go to MCN website and look it up they claim the new crossplane R1 has 78ft now compare that to the 07-08 which they claim has 87ft?, now we all know which bike has more tq in low-midrange?. Yamaha did think about this when developing the FZ1, it would have been easier for them the leave the stock R1 plant alone. I agree a pimped up R1 will always have the legs on FZ1 but only in the top-end but for real world riding a modded FZ1 is a peach IMO. In hindsight i would have streetfighted a 06 GSXR1000 instead of buying the FZ1 with all the flaws from stock but hindsights a wonderfull thing?

Here in wonderful NZ a new R1 has a list $ of 24k & a RSV4 is 26k, maybe in the states it is priced different but here it is almost on a par.

Last edited:

Uh .. far from that, unfortunately .. The difference is huge. On a supersport you have almost no low end, it stalls if you don't slip the clutch enough, sharper fork angle, sharper steering, lighter frame (like 20 kg or more), shorter inlets (more top end power), different gearing, different camshaft, ignition timing, etc etc etc
And that's just thinking about the difference between the FZ and the R1

I'd like adjustable pegs because the FZ pegs are too forward for me. On the track I'd like them further back, and up.
It would be nice to have pegs with a quick-adjust system

Last edited:
Well have you actually be on the track with the FZ1?, well i have a dozen+ and still counting, my bike is no slouch with proper suspension, tyres & the full Ivan package. The track i ride at has a 1km straight, this is where i get nailed sometimes by the ltr Sportbikes which has a higher redline & top-end, however they have to more braver on the brakes, but only in the last 3rd of the straight is where they can use that top-end power advantage. It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4, this is why it have a heavier crankshaft to produce more tq down low down & mid as mentioned this is well documented on the other forum and has been talked to death for many yrs, also i have owned the 04R1 and had it dynoed with Micro pipes, filter & PC3, tuned from memory it was high 150's & 73ft@ 13k rph, my FZ1 is 153@75ft 10 1/2 rpm. If you believe the bike reviews hp & tq claims you will find a big difference once dynoed, these fictional numbers they come up with are well below par in MCN they claim the FZ1 stock has 150hp 78ft? which happens to be the same as the 04-06R1 but in real world 130hp, go to MCN website and look it up they claim the new crossplane R1 has 78ft now compare that to the 07-08 which they claim has 87ft?, now we all know which bike has more tq in low-midrange?. Yamaha did think about this when developing the FZ1, it would have been easier for them the leave the stock R1 plant alone. I agree a pimped up R1 will always have the legs on FZ1 but only in the top-end but for real world riding a modded FZ1 is a peach IMO. In hindsight i would have streetfighted a 06 GSXR1000 instead of buying the FZ1 with all the flaws from stock but hindsights a wonderfull thing?

Here in wonderful NZ a new R1 has a list $ of 24k & a RSV4 is 26k, maybe in the states it is priced different but here it is almost on a par.

"It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4,"

The R1 may have less torque in the LOWER RPM RANGE.......but that's still less torque :) I giggle every time you make the FZ1 out to be a torque monster.

Your not going to win any drag races with the FZ1 against the R1 stock vs stock or 2 bikes with similar modifications . That I'm sure of ! :nana:

" If you believe the bike reviews hp & tq claims you will find a big difference once dynoed, these fictional numbers "

Yes I believe the bike reviews When I use the same magazine and same dyno to compare the numbers...AND WHEN COMPARING REAR WHEEL NUMBERS TO REAR WHEEL NUMBERS not rear wheel to crank shaft numbers :)
You mislead people when you compare rear wheel HP/TQ to crankshaft HP/TQ. :)
When comparing rear wheel dyno numbers the R1 has approximately a 20-25 hp advantage and approximately a 10ft/lb torque advantage

You keep quoting the 04 R1........Last time I checked its 2012 :)

Yes the FZ1's heavier crank and different cam timing has moved the torque
lower in the rpm range, but it ultimately makes less torque overall than the R1.

Take a stock R1 and and stock FZ1 on the track.......the R1 will brake, handle, accelerate better.........Throw a few thousand dollars at BOTH bikes and..........the R1 will brake handle and accelerate better :)

" It is documented the FZ1 makes more torque in the low-midrange than the R1 & will beat it on 1/4 "

If your launching both bikes correctly....YOUR NOT USING THE LOW END POWER :)
The only advantage the FZ1 has in the 1/4 mile is wheelbase and weight ( its easier to launch )
A talented rider may 60ft better on the FZ1 but its game over for the FZ1 before the 1/8th mile. The R1 is lighter and makes more power. Pretty simple to figure out which one is going to win a acceleration contest.

Comparing R1 and FZ1 torque is like arguing the strength of wet news paper to a wet paper bag. They are both pretty weak :)

Just because I own a FZ1 does not mean I need to become delusional and think its better in any way than a R1 when your comparing pure performance.
( acceleration, braking, handling )

Last edited:
Sorry for stating the obvious, i was a wreck yesterday evening ...

Sent from my mobile phone, please excuse the brevity

I suffer from internet confrontation disorder :nerd: No apology necessary.
If only everyone could see how truly brilliant I am :confused0024::th_smiley_rotfl2[1]:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back