Gen 3 FZ1

Just for kicks, I thought I would throw in exactly what Yamaha markets our bike for. Please read and note the very last marketing word....:

media_content_unit019717dd29.jpg

You can see it here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/7/0/home.aspx

Just for kicks, I thought I would throw in exactly what Yamaha markets our bike for. Please read and note the very last marketing word....:

You can see it here: 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Home, information, info

My sentiment exactly. And when it first came out, the focus was as a sporty every day commuter with the ability to tour, and still do well on the track. It was a sport touring bike first, and a track bike second.

In my opinion, they have moved further from the tour moniker and closer to the track one, because that is what sells in this country. Hence, the evolution to the naked R1 type bike.

Some people keep screaming something about bags, but the bags don't matter. The gearing, the detuned R1 engine, the upright seating position, the handlebars instead of the clip-ons, the longer lasting tires, the vibration reducing features, the large fuel tank, and the nice plush seat are what made this bike what it was when it was first introduced. A SPORT TOURING BIKE. I think we can all agree that the latest versions have moved away from the original intent of when they were first introduced.

Ok So what your saying is you bought the Fz1 for touring as a touring bike because you could not afford the Fjr. I can handle that. I never said you could not tour with the bike, again you can tour with a bergman 650. When you go to yamahas website looking for this bike and you go to supersport touring the only bike that pops up is an FJR. When you go to supersport low and behold the FZ1. different people have different views on this bike I understand. So in my opinion if yamaha comes out with this new look for 2011 I would probably take a good hard look at it!!

Oh by the way look at the first line on that add. Now go back and read the post that starting this debate. And the last part, ok you can tour on it. again you can tour on any bike. I have an '08 M109 thats lowered, chrome wheels, led lights, exhaust and alot of other mods and I will tell you when I take my trips to the hill country with her and load her down she is still a cruiser not a tourer.

Oh by the way look at the first line on that add. Now go back and read the post that starting this debate. And the last part, ok you can tour on it. again you can tour on any bike. I have an '08 M109 thats lowered, chrome wheels, led lights, exhaust and alot of other mods and I will tell you when I take my trips to the hill country with her and load her down she is still a cruiser not a tourer.

Do you mean this one:

Livefast said:
This thread was talking about how Yamaha markets the bike NOT how you market the Bike..

I didn't market the FZ1 as a touring bike. Yamaha did which is my point and completely opposite of what you are telling everyone else here.

I can "afford" about any bike Yamaha offers but I choose this one becuase Yamaha said it can do it all, and it does. I would have bought the FJR but becuase it's not so nimble in the corners, I consider it a tourer FIRST and a sportbike last.

Livefast said:
I see the argument here but I would love to hear other views from people with Gen 2 FZ1's.

You solicited other people's views yet you refuse to accept them. Why? We put up the views to show we are different in opinions. Yet, you seem to have a need to counter-point them because they are not of the same opinion as your own. Please, make up your mind Sir. Either you really wanted our "views" or you simply wanted to debate on what only you believe is true.

You continue to debate, starting posts with "Ok So what your saying is . . . " What I am saying is what I wrote. I'm perplexed as to why you insist on reading anything else into my posts but please, feel free to interpret them as you imagine them.

Back on topic for the rest of the members:

I do like the looks of the R1 fairing and wouldn't mind seeing a similar style on the FZ1 in the future. However, I'm more interested in the upgraded power plant to enhance the bike going forward. Yamaha never remains stagnant with any model and change is typically due every three or so model years. I'm surprised that we've had 5 years of nearly the same model at this point but given how versatile this model is, I'm more than happy with the bike.

Question? To all of you, what WOULD you like to see (or not see) on a redesigned 2011 FZ1? :icon_beer:

So what your telling me is if I put a givi or shad case on an R1 it would be considered a sport tourer?? Look when you buy an Fz1 its marketed as a naked R1, supersport whatever. Again Just because you put bags on somthing does not classify it as a touring motorcycle. You are right about one thing the fz1 is considered a supersport motorcycle putting bags on it makes it a supersport motorcycle with some bags on it and thats it!!! This thread was talking about how Yamaha markets the bike NOT how you market the Bike.. So again in your opinion if you load down a bike with bags and go touring it is a tourer. I think the Black and white fact here is its not considered a touring motorcycle according to yamaha and if you put bags on it and tour I would consider that a sport bike with a nice touring setup. Just my .02 cents

I don't agree here. Except for the tank capacity the FZ1 can become a tourer pretty much. See the FZ1TE if you are confused.

x30_46c588da1cb54.jpg

FZ1-8.jpg

It is just in the US that Yamaha markets it as a naked R1 but also says you can do track days and touring. So it is THE DO-IT-ALL bike.

Last edited:
It IS what you do with it. I see no valid argument one way or the other. Some people do less with bikes that can do more and some people do more with bikes that were intended to do less. As long as you are doing what you are passionate about on your bike I am behind you 100%

Wow, deja vu I was wondering where this post went. Thought I put it in the Dissing FZ1 thread. Sorry!

Do you mean this one:

I didn't market the FZ1 as a touring bike. Yamaha did which is my point and completely opposite of what you are telling everyone else here.

I can \"afford\" about any bike Yamaha offers but I choose this one becuase Yamaha said it can do it all, and it does. I would have bought the FJR but becuase it's not so nimble in the corners, I consider it a tourer FIRST and a sportbike last.

You solicited other people's views yet you refuse to accept them. Why? We put up the views to show we are different in opinions. Yet, you seem to have a need to counter-point them because they are not of the same opinion as your own. Please, make up your mind Sir. Either you really wanted our \"views\" or you simply wanted to debate on what only you believe is true.

You continue to debate, starting posts with \"Ok So what your saying is . . . \" What I am saying is what I wrote. I'm perplexed as to why you insist on reading anything else into my posts but please, feel free to interpret them as you imagine them.

Back on topic for the rest of the members:

I do like the looks of the R1 fairing and wouldn't mind seeing a similar style on the FZ1 in the future. However, I'm more interested in the upgraded power plant to enhance the bike going forward. Yamaha never remains stagnant with any model and change is typically due every three or so model years. I'm surprised that we've had 5 years of nearly the same model at this point but given how versatile this model is, I'm more than happy with the bike.

Question? To all of you, what WOULD you like to see (or not see) on a redesigned 2011 FZ1? :icon_beer:

Sorry bout all the debating on this topic. I was simply taking my crappy ass day out on you. But I do respect your opinion on the bike. My main reason for trading in my R1 for this bike was the upright position. I guess due to the fact that I am only 30 I dont want to think about being on any type of touring bike being that I am too young.LOL No really I see what you saying, but I stand firm on thinking this is an upright sport bike only.
As far as the 2011 I would trade my bike in for that model based on looks alone. Again I apologize for making this more than it was.

Sorry bout all the debating on this topic. I was simply taking my crappy ass day out on you. But I do respect your opinion on the bike. My main reason for trading in my R1 for this bike was the upright position. I guess due to the fact that I am only 30 I dont want to think about being on any type of touring bike being that I am too young.LOL No really I see what you saying, but I stand firm on thinking this is an upright sport bike only.
As far as the 2011 I would trade my bike in for that model based on looks alone. Again I apologize for making this more than it was.

No worries, thanks! I also apologize if I offended you in any way as it certainly isn't my intentions. :icon_beer:

I really do respect your views and your opinions as well as all the others. With what you've just concluded, you are wiser in your years than a lot of 30-ish people I have met! :tup:

Back to the subject... I had actually toyed with/taken measurements etc... with the idea of putting an R1 or R6 fairing on either the FZ6 or FZ1, at least certain parts of it. In the end though? I'd REALLY like to see Yamaha give the U.S. and Canada the FZ1-N model.

Now, there's a few dealers out there that have the FZ1-N bolt-on conversion kit. The only added work is drilling and tapping two holes in the triple but the rest is cake! SEe it here and the price keeps getting cheaper... Hmmmm.... next bonus? :D Burlington Yamaha | FZ1N Headlight Kit

Gen II FZ1

All I know is that ever since I saw the Gen II in the magazine I knew I wanted one and with my wifes permission I got one. I love it and I also call it an Old mans sport bike even though I am only 43. I don't feel old too many days. I do know I can keep up with most of those young fellows on their R1's, CBR's and GSX's. As I often say horsepower is no subsitute for skill.

I chatted the other night to our local Yamaha rep and he said there was an engine change in the works for FZ but I assumed it was a pre-crossplane engine given the history of the FZ in the past. It should be interesting hopefully not too much or I may have to go ask permission to trade up. Still nothing in the market place that interest more than what I have.

I chatted the other night to our local Yamaha rep and he said there was an engine change in the works for FZ but I assumed it was a pre-crossplane engine given the history of the FZ in the past. It should be interesting hopefully not too much or I may have to go ask permission to trade up. Still nothing in the market place that interest more than what I have.

As I've said before I highly doubt that we will see the crossplane engine in the new FZ1 next year. Yamaha is going to market that exclusively in the R1 for all it's worth. I wouldn't mind the '07-08 R1 engine in it along with a reduction of about an inch in wheelbase and a bigger gas tank :D

FZ1N kit on the FZ1 is bolt on whereas for the FZ6 you need a custom bracket. I never seen any drilling and tapping the triple? Where did you see this? I ask, sincI have the kit lying in my garage.

Have you mounted it up yet? I was told this by a member on the FZ1OA board, that the U.S. bike has two locations that were not drilled and tapped to receive two small bolts on the bracket. If you are telling me he is wrong, then you're making me rather happy about it! :D

So, mounted it? Pics with it? :Rockon:

... When you go to yamahas website looking for this bike and you go to supersport touring the only bike that pops up is an FJR. When you go to supersport low and behold the FZ1...

I see everyone has kissed and made up, but I have to point out that you are looking at this with the blinders on. Just because the FJ1300 is the only bike listed as the sport touring bike now, doesn't mean it was always been that way. As a matter of fact, when the FJ1300 was first introduced, it was listed on the Yamaha pages as a Super Sport Touring bike, the FZs were listed as Sport Touring, and then there were the Sport bikes.

It wasn't until sometime in the last couple of years that the FZs were grouped together with the hardcore sport bikes on the webpage, and the FJ1300 became the sole bike listed under Sport Touring.

this thread almost sounds like the real answer to my thread last month about installing a new R1 engine in the FZ1, looks like others might think that would be a good idea ?

All the debate here just points to what I like about this bike. It's good at everything and not the best at anything. Fast enough for track days, upright enough for good visibility commuting, has enough fairing for moderate touring. It turns well enough to be fun, but is long enough to be stable. You can putter around and smell the roses at 3-5000 rpm or scare yourself at 10,000 rpm. With modest mods, you can make it better at whatever you want it to do.

It's a shame there is so little market for this kind of bike in the US. How many sport riders quit riding because their bikes are uncomfortable? How many tourers never ride locally because their bikes steer like circus elephants? They don't know what they're missing, if you ask me, which you didn't. ; )

Gets it

All the debate here just points to what I like about this bike. It's good at everything and not the best at anything. Fast enough for track days, upright enough for good visibility commuting, has enough fairing for moderate touring. It turns well enough to be fun, but is long enough to be stable. You can putter around and smell the roses at 3-5000 rpm or scare yourself at 10,000 rpm. With modest mods, you can make it better at whatever you want it to do.

It's a shame there is so little market for this kind of bike in the US. How many sport riders quit riding because their bikes are uncomfortable? How many tourers never ride locally because their bikes steer like circus elephants? They don't know what they're missing, if you ask me, which you didn't. ; )

The man gets it.
Is there really a need to further blur the lines between the R1 and the FZ1. Some minor tweeks to the styling, upgrading the rear suspention. Maybe radial mount brakes. As others have pointed out, fuel capacity, and seat comfort. All in all though they have a winning package. Hopefully Yamaha listens to forums like this for when the bike really starts to come together. There are so many narrow focus motorcycles out there, the FZ 1 and FZ6 are really in a class by themselves.

Universal Japanese Motorcycle

:deadhorse:Universal is the key. For anyone who desires a sure-footed, reliable, forgiving, wickedly powerful, comfotable, beautifuly designed bike the FZ1 beats all comers.

As I've said before I highly doubt that we will see the crossplane engine in the new FZ1 next year. Yamaha is going to market that exclusively in the R1 for all it's worth. I wouldn't mind the '07-08 R1 engine in it along with a reduction of about an inch in wheelbase and a bigger gas tank :D

I'm not as convinced as you to be so sure about the cross plane crankshaft not showing up in the 2011 FZ1... I know I'm new to this forum but not to Yamaha motorcycles. While I understand what you're saying, I think timing in the market across manufacturers is also critical and might change up the approach from historical trends. I tend to think it is highly probable we can see the cross plane crankshaft due to the fact Honda just released the 2010 VFR1200 and Yamaha wishes to remain competitive in this segment. A combination of that motor and a larger fuel tank (where the VFR falls short) would take a lot of wind out of Honda's sails and that is exactly where Yamaha wants to be. Honda is marketing the VFR as a tourer which is tradition as part of the VFR's lineage, but look closely at what is offered, the self-proclaimed "Gentleman's Bike" is nothing but a high priced standard. It does not have the touring accessories to place it on the same level of an FJ or Connie and the dual clutch from true motorcycle enthusiasts is no big deal. As most experienced riders prefer the interaction of rider and machine through manual shifting. The whole debate of whether or not to take away sales from the Yamaha R1 in my view is not as critical as losing folks to another brand like Honda which once crossed over is much harder to pull back. Add in Kawasaki's release of the 2010 Z1000 with many specifications very similar to the FZ1 and Yamaha will be looking for a new angle to refresh and differentiate itself in the marketplace.

Back